How long have you been a Logos user?

Page 3 of 5 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 84 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 10:52 AM

Early 2003, bought the Anchor Bible Dictionary. 10 years later, have a ton of resources, still don't own a package :)

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 11:47 AM

Sakarias Ingolfsson:

Michael Childs:
I have been a Logos user since Logos bought out the old CDWORD program. I had CDWORD and took advantage of the offer to upgrade to Logos in 1995, so I have been a user for 18 years now.

I tried out CDWORD a couple of years ago. You would think that it would be a bit stone-age, but it is actually still much better than some of the low-end software you can get right now. (Of course, with the system requirements It is not so easy to run) Logos has come far since then, but I was really surprised with how great this software was.

From the late 90s I used The SWORD project, Interlinear Scripture Analyzer, e-Sword and finally Bibleworks, before switching to Libronix in 2005+/-

CDWORD was wonderful in its day.  It was the sole reason I bought my first computer.  It was the first program that I found to work effectively with original language.  You could go from a word in the Greek New Testament to the lemma to that word in the BAG Lexicon by two clicks of the mouse!  I saw that demonstrated in a "Baptist Bookstore" and I knew instantly that I needed a computer.   

That was a miracle in those pre-Logos days!  It even had a few current commentaries and Bible dictionaries - like the Bible Knowledge Commentary - in those days when the competition only had very old dated commentaries, if anything.

Logos greatly expanded its catalog by buying the rights to CDWORD. 

But of course, CDWORD was nothing compared to Logos 5. The first time I heard of Logos was when they bought out CDWORD and offered to upgrade me to Logos.   I took them up on it, and never looked back.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 11:49 AM

Early 90's as best as my memory serves me.

Posts 1418
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 11:53 AM

Since Logos 4 release, When was that? Fall 2010

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:05 PM
Got Logos 1.5 or 1.6 as the replacement for a product that I can not remember the name of. Then upgraded to Logos 2.0 in 1996 and been upgrading ever since!

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 145
Darcy S. Van Horn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:16 PM

Earliest of my Logos disks that I can find are Logos 2.0 or 2.1.  I might have had 1.6, but not sure.  Probably began in about '96 or '97 when I returned to Canada from Africa.  I remember buying my first Logos disk in a Christian discount book store.  Have been enjoying and growing in my use of Logos ever since.  Now thankful for over 3700 resources and Logos 5!

Blessings,

Darcy

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:19 PM

I wish it were longer but I got Logos 5 last December I believe. I did use the Faithlife Study Bible and a few of the free resources before that though.

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:31 PM

Earl Sheneman:

I wish it were longer but I got Logos 5 last December I believe. I did use the Faithlife Study Bible and a few of the free resources before that though.

Welcome to the forums Earl. Hope you come back often and that you continue to learn to maximize the amazing features in Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:40 PM

Thanks Bruce. I have been a "lurker" for quite a while and have learned a lot that way. I am amazed at the amount of time and effort you and others put into helping users on the forums. Thanks to all of you for your help so far!

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 1:32 PM

I admire that You don't have a base-package, Ben!

Ben:
Early 2003, bought the Anchor Bible Dictionary. 10 years later, have a ton of resources, still don't own a package :)

It's hard to remember what I had back then but I it was early 2001. It was marketed in Sweden. I remember it cost 600 Swedish Krona (SEK). Historical currency rates: http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/ All I can remember is that it included the 1901 ASV, and a Swedish Bible from 1998 called "Folkbibeln", I guess it didn't include a whole lot more.

A couple of years after that I was an Atheist for several years.

In March 2012 I started discussing in Logos User Forums (Suggestions). It wasn't until on April 19. 2012 that I started greatly expanding my Logos library. I spent about $734 including Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols), and base packages (L4 Original Languages. Also had L4 Catholic Foundations but have given it away since to a person living on disability income).
The next big purchase was July 18. 2012, Hermeneia/Continental set and I was allowed to return the Hermeneia Upgrade (3 vols.) (it was included in the set.
Back then I borrowed a laptop from my mom on which I installed Logos. I didn't tell her that I had something like that bought and installed - my parents differ with me on so many things when it comes to Christianity.
In the beginning of the Fall 2012 I bought my first serious laptop - used of course - I still have it, and I often use both laptops side-by-side - cheap solution for more monitor space, I use both hands so one mouse has to be left-handed even though I'm not. You can see some of the specs in my signature. Since October 2012 my purchases have accelerated. Including that on November 20. 2012 I upgraded to L5 Bronze and Verbum Basic. Bronze was a very difficult decision but the choice is fine. All the higher base-packages such as Silver and Platinum contain so many commentaries that I would never use! I'm positive I will upgrade very very few times during the rest of my lifetime! Perhaps a denominational base-package could be interesting such as Reformed - sometime in the future, I don't know which decade?

You can see in my signature how many books I have, (not the first figure which is only the books in the tablet).

In the end of the winter I bought a newer laptop with the same amount of pixels but bigger monitor, it cost 1900 SEK, it has Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2010 Starter installed. In the summer 2013 I upgraded it from 1.6 GB RAM available to 7.6 GB RAM available and a 500 GB hybrid drive which has 8 GB SSD.

On July 19. 2013 I created a second account for a future friend. What to buy with that account remains a difficulty, especially coupons that expire!
A little later I bought an ergonomic keyboard for the older laptop, www.trulyergonomic.com

This Saturday I went without ticket by train to a town and bought a used desktop computer. Paid the train back. Including train the computer cost ~$100. Specs: HP. AMD (two cores). 3 GB RAM. HDD 500 GB 7200 rpm. Graphics card can handle high resolution. Windows 7 and Office 2010 incl. installation disks with licenses. The monitors I have are a 1280*1024 and a 19" 1366*768 - the latter for my older laptop. These resolutions are insufficient with Logos. I intended the computer as a gift for a future friend.

Yesterday I became friends with a young man who lives in the centre of the capital of Sweden, Stockholm, about 12 miles south of where I live. He is studying history of religion - Christianity. Going to let friend use books and desktop computer.

My largest open pre-pub orders are: T&T Clark Pauline Studies Collection (28 vols.) $349.95, Oxford History of the Christian Church (16 vols.) $619.95. In 2014 I will have big unfortunate expenses for other things. I'm starting to wonder how I will afford all this.

In the future I want to buy a "moped" car. It's the size of a regular car, but with restricted top speed. I recently saw an ad for a somewhat recent Ford truck cheap with engine changed to a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine with automatic gearbox. It would be awesome to get one of those! I could use it in my pedicab firm plus go to Church easy in any weather without sweating. It would be 3 times faster to go to the nearest Catholic Church with such a car, than by bus.

I have L3 installed in Windows XP under VMware 5.0 in the newer laptop. Since some of the books I have are used I would need the Libronix URL:s for these:
Christian Origins and the Question of God Series (3 vols.)
Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible
Essays in Biblical Greek (1889) by Edwin Hatch
The Encyclopedia of Christianity: Volumes 1-3
The Encyclopedia of Christianity: Volume 4
The Encyclopedia of Christianity, Vol. 5
I would be grateful if someone could tell me these URL:s! info ÁT cykeltaxi DÓT se

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 1:37 PM

Since May 2006...

Posts 222
Justin Cofer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 1:44 PM

Over five years, since Logos 3.

Posts 512
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 2:18 PM

James Milne Smith:

I'm just a babe. Started with the Leader's Library in September 2010. It changed my life.

In the summer of 1994, when I first saw Microsoft Office in that box on a shelf in my college bookstore, immediately understood what it would do, and that it would send Wordperfect, Lotus 123 and Dbase to the dustbin, which I had been trying to use and trying to make work together. I bought my own copy of Office and thus was the first in my company to use it that summer. It changed the way I worked and what I could accomplish, going seamlessly between Word, Excel and Access. Over the years I've often said that it was the most significant software purchase I ever made.

Until Feb 2010, when I bought the just released L4 (Scholars pkg.) I was a late comer to the Bible software market, and at the time I really didn't understand the significance and power of what I had bought. And 3 years (and a few dollars!) later, I still don't utilize 20% of what it can do, but I'm in it almost everyday, even when I don't have a lesson to prepare. It too has changed my life.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 3:01 PM

I've been a Logos user since version 1.6. That's around the early to mid 1990's. I can't remember whether I used on Windows 3.1 or Windows95 first, but that was the era.

At the time I had a state of the art, 80286 Dell with an amber and black monitor, and a dot matrix printer.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 4:29 PM

I think it was around '97...I still have my 2.0 disks, but I had a Nelson package to start with, and that might have been a late 1.x. I'm not sure, though. I remember doing a significant online comparison of what was available at the time, and decided that going with Logos was the best choice. I have never doubted that since. I remember getting the first Scholar's package that came out (Series X) for a few hundred bucks...and I thought I was set for life! How young and naive I was back then. Cool

I'm still disappointed that so many crucial (for me) features of L3 aren't ever going to be included in current or future upgrades, but I'm grateful for what I've got. I am 100% certain that it would have been impossible for me to have developed the understanding of Scripture I have today without Logos. I mentioned to Bob when I met him that I am convinced that the fulfillment of Daniel 12:4 is almost totally a result of what Logos is...not planes, trains, and automobiles, not Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns, and not even the internet, since most of what is on it is junk. YHWH isn't remotely concerned with such fluff. He cares about His Word, and the ability of humans to interact with it in ways that cause knowledge of HIM to increase. It's an amazing ride and I deeply appreciate what Logos has done for me.

Thanks Bob & Co.! Yes Smile

Posts 10123
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 4:47 PM
I clearly remember my first Logos. It was in the autumn days of 2009. i think it had an early production number. I was so amazed as it downloaded to my new Netbook. Then I purchased my first crossgrade. I look back on my early crossgradings with so much fondness.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 5:05 PM

GFS translation:
Jesus said, … whoever does not take up his crossgrade and follow me is not worthy of me

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1418
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 5:25 PM

Rosie Perera:

'91 or '92 when Bob Pritchett and Kiernon Reiniger were writing this Bible software in their spare time while employed at Microsoft. I was one of their first beta testers, I think the first outside their own family, before 1.0 shipped. They later went on to quit their day jobs and found the company to market this product called Logos.

Seems like you are the oldest one here

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 5:28 PM

Wild Eagle:
Seems like you are the oldest one here

Perhaps you should rephrase this to say "Seems like you have been using Logos the longest time here" My guess is that there are few who are "older". Wink

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1418
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 5:37 PM

Embarrassed

Thats what I mean, sorry English is not my native language. Thanks Bruce for the correction. You are always helpful

Page 3 of 5 (85 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS