Logos for Kids--why hasn't this already happened?

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 9 2013 9:17 PM

When is Logos going to develop a software version designed for elementary-age kids? My daughter is in preschool. She is starting to use certain websites. Why hasn't Logos latched on to the huge market there is for Christian kids learning to use computer software and get them into studying the Bible with it? Think of all the crossword puzzles they could make, the coloring pages, the animation, the easy searches, and of course reading the Bible.

Posts 27429
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 9:50 PM

Why do you think Logos would be well suited for this? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 10:02 PM

Jeffrey T. Requadt:
When is Logos going to develop a software version designed for elementary-age kids?

I think it is a great idea. I just ran it by my 4.5 year old son. He said he would like that too. 

There were once a few animated Bible story CDs produced by a company called Logos. I don't know if it was related to this Logos Bible software or not.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 2:13 AM

This sounds interesting, but its probably one of those things that sounds better on paper than in actual practice. What would their base package look like? The Action Bible series, Ken Ham's Answer Books, and John Cross' "The Lamb"? What would the package be called? Instead of precious metals maybe Logos could use crayon colors. lol

Posts 27429
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 5:06 AM

Good one Josh. Smile

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. There are a number of companies whose strength is childrens ministry. They would be better suited for this. If the goal is for older primary students and teens, then the issue is resource based. Just buy the resources you want for them now. 

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 5:32 AM

alabama24:

There are a number of companies whose strength is childrens ministry. They would be better suited for this.

Well, I haven't seen any kids software out there that is designed to make it easy to search for words in the Bible, pull up maps and other reference books (of which there are a few out there for kids at least in print form), and interact directly with the Biblical text. I know there are lots of fun websites that have Christianese games and stories (Veggietales, for example, or JellyTelly), but nothing that helps does what Logos does (or any other Bible software out there) but in a simplified and kid-friendly format. If any of the other publishers have done something like that, let me know.

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 5:35 AM

Josh:

Instead of precious metals maybe Logos could use crayon colors. lol

And the "Tickle Me Pink" package will only be $18,000,000 (or $3,000,000 a month).

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 5:38 AM

alabama24:

Simply because they already have gazillions of dollars and people-hours already spent on developing (what they believe is) the world's premier Bible software. Surely they can take what they already do and refashion it for kids, including the resources and tools available, as well as the design and feel.

Posts 1413
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 5:42 AM

Deleted by user

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1073
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 5:55 AM

I was thinking about this for my twins ... both 8 (and approaching 9 too quickly! Indifferent)

They can cope with the interface, only need a couple of bibles and the info graphics/biblical facts

I do not think that there needs to be a new program ... just a way of limiting the resources that are downloaded to the local machine. I think that Bob alluded to this as a possibility in a different thread about indexing ... the ability to, online, specify which resources should be available to which devices, in a similar way that we can choose which resources go to our mobile devices ... which resources should go to our desktop machines.

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 27429
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 6:01 AM

Jeffrey T. Requadt:

alabama24:

Simply because they already have gazillions of dollars and people-hours already spent on developing (what they believe is) the world's premier Bible software. Surely they can take what they already do and refashion it for kids, including the resources and tools available, as well as the design and feel.

I strongly disagree. If you are talking about using the same interface and adding resources for kids, great. I am for that. If you are talking about creating a new interface... Logos has zero experience doing that for kids. Actually, there are many users who feel Logos could work on the interface for adults! 

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 6:22 AM

alabama24:

I strongly disagree. If you are talking about using the same interface and adding resources for kids, great. I am for that. If you are talking about creating a new interface... Logos has zero experience doing that for kids. Actually, there are many users who feel Logos could work on the interface for adults! 

Okay... thanks for disagreeing respectfully as well as strongly. I still think that Logos probably has the resources and talent to learn how to create an interface for kids. It's probably something they could figure out pretty quickly. I really don't care what company wants to do it. I just want it to happen.

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 6:23 AM

Wait, are you saying you DON'T want Logos to try something like this? That the world would be a better place if they didn't try to develop kids software? Or simply that if they tried it, it would be a waste of their money because it would totally flop?

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 6:47 AM

I have created a family group within Faithlife. We use it for devotions, prayers, reading plans. My kids are 10,9 and 4, and read (or are supposed) to read their Bibles every night. This did require me to open accounts in their names, but this allows us as a family to be part of the same reading plan. We all read the same passage, then we can discuss what we read. Oh, I need to mention, my boys each have their own Kindles, this makes it easier. (Except the 4 yr old.)

God Bless,

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 6:56 AM

Here is something I wrote awhile ago. Someone once told me that as a parent my biggest mission field are my kids. http://men.ag.org/life/articles/?targetBay=a1a2bc27-a71a-441c-8eda-0ea5ad51a994&ModID=2&Process=DisplayArticle&RSS_RSSContentID=17325&RSS_OriginatingChannelID=1135&RSS_OriginatingRSSFeedID=3315&RSS_Source=

p.s. I do not think Logos needs to develop something specific just for kids, we should use what is available and adapt it to what we need. Open a free account for your kids without a base package and then add the resources you want them to have. When they get old enough and decided they want more then they can get what they want.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:19 AM

Jeffrey T. Requadt:

Wait, are you saying you DON'T want Logos to try something like this? That the world would be a better place if they didn't try to develop kids software? Or simply that if they tried it, it would be a waste of their money because it would totally flop?

I will say that I do not want Logos to try this, and it is because Logos does not have any experience in this area.  Children are children, they are not small adults.  The human brain doesn't reach maturity till around the age of 25 (so when your teenage said that he or she wasn't thinking, it is very likely to be true because the brain does turn itself off during its growth periods).

So trying to adopt something designed for adults for children to use simply will not work.

Children do not need to do word studies, look places up on a map, or to read abstract theological concepts.  While I will say that they need to hear the story of God's love, but what they need most important is to experience God's love, and I do not know how that can via a computer program.

Posts 27429
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:20 AM

Jeffrey T. Requadt:

"Yes" to the first and third. Probably "yes" to the second. Stick out tongue

Here are some of my guiding principles which inform my thoughts on this issue:

1. Everyone (and every business) is more productive when they focus on the FEW things that they do best, and in which they can provide the greatest contribution. 
  2. Desire and Need are not enough. Competency is crucial! Logos isn't a children's software (or ministry) company. They would have no idea what to do and shouldn't even try. 
  3. There are other companies & ministries which focus on children. They would be MUCH better suited to create something like this.
  4. I love Logos, and I will get in trouble for writing this... but "user friendly interfaces" are not their strong suit in the first place. 
  5. I also disagree with your premise about a "huge market." There is ZERO market for this. Don't get me wrong... I am all in favor for the idea in principle (being done by someone other than Logos). A "market" requires demand. If there were demand, there would be companies doing this already (or moving towards it). 
  6. My suggestions for who might be best suited to work on a project like this? 
    • LifeChurch.TV – This is the church founded by Craig Groeschel. His church created the YouVersion app (the most popular bible app on the planet). His church creates content for all age groups (including children) and gives it away for free.
    • ORANGE – Orange is a parachurch organization which promotes the partnership between the local church and parents. They are excellent content providers.
    • AWANA – If AWANA wants to be relevant again, creating a bible study app for kids would be a great start.

All three of those organizations would be much better at spearheading a project like this.

Posts 10032
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:34 AM

I think it'd be an excellent idea. If only to make the product usable by adults.  No joke this time (!).

Posts 27429
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:51 AM

You crack me up D. Smile

Posts 45
Jeffrey T. Requadt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2013 8:20 AM

So the desire for Logos NOT trying to innovate in this way is out of a desire for them not to fail? A personal concern for the company? Or does it hurt the consumer/church in some way? I think I understand that you personally wouldn't be interested in purchasing or using their product. But it sounds like you think if Logos got involved with this, things would be worse than they already are.

With regards to "market"... Sometimes companies and entrepreneurs are responding to what people say they want (demand-side). Sometimes they have ideas and get people to want them (supply-side). This would probably fall in the latter.

Well, I can see that some people here feel VERY strongly that Logos should in no way attempt to make Bible software user-friendly for kids, and other people think it's a nice idea. I must be undecided. Zip it!

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS