MacBook Pro Fan Runs Constantly with Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 11 2013 2:59 PM

I'm not sure if it always happens but when I run Logos, the fan begins to run on my MacBook Pro and won't stop. When trying to quit Logos, it usually just hangs and tries to quit for the longest time - am compelled to "force quit" the program. A minute after Logos is closed, the fan stops running. My Mac runs fine after.

Does anyone else have this problem? The program runs fine - it just hangs and never quits once the fan starts to run on my MBP. I have come to love Logos on account of its resources but the program is so clunky and slow compared to the competitor I use. I'm heavily invested in both programs but the competitor is by far more efficient and stable! I need Logos for my travels overseas when I teach and can't have my battery run down because it is running the fan constantly.

Just a theory, it might be related to the new resources I download on a weekly basis (Community Pricing items). Not sure though it almost always happens right after I download the new resources - even AFTER it finishes indexing.

Posts 27224
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 4:10 AM

Indexing is the usual cause but the fan may also run for some time after completion. Try some external cooling (e.g. household fan) during indexing to see if that alters the behaviour.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 48
GS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 6:24 AM

I haven't noticed this yet but I'll watch the next time Logos downloads and indexes.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 7:23 AM

Dave Hooton:

Indexing is the usual cause but the fan may also run for some time after completion. Try some external cooling (e.g. household fan) during indexing to see if that alters the behaviour.

This is my experience with L5 Mac. I have a MBA 2013 with i7 processor and 8GB RAM. There should be plenty of processing power, however when I check Activity Monitor during indexing, Logos Indexer is sucking CPU power like there's no tomorrow, and the fan starts spinning. When indexer finishes, and the fan is happy, it shuts off. This isn't always instantaneous and may take a minute or two after.

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 1:55 PM

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast.. Logos is resource intensive. Even when you quit Indexers may be going and it will take a long while for the processor to cool down sometimes. One thing I want to suggest though… If you have pets it is possible your fans are getting clogged… My old MBP were 80% clogged with cat hair… once in a while might be a good thing to open it up and blow it out… If you don;t feel comfortable doing that I am not sure what they would charge you at an Apple store but might even do it for free..

-Dan

Posts 8474
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 2:31 PM

LOL I thought you were a Macbook Pro "Fan" who constantly liked to run while using Logos 5.  I was going to ask you how can you pull off such a feat...Stick out tongue

Posts 9
Laura Otto | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 12:40 PM

Re Fan running during Logos being open.  On a Mac open Activity Monitor>search for the Logos App running and just below Logos App you will see Logos Indexer. Close that app and the fan will stop. You might leave your laptop open and plugged in during the evening when you are not using it and let it index. When done close and reopen in the am and I don't think the indexer will stay on very long.

Jim

Posts 240
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 1:45 PM

WGT - this may be related to a problem that I have posted previously that is not directly related to indexing.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/66326.aspx?PageIndex=1

Part way through that post there is a link given to a tool for sampling and archiving logs. You might try that logging app to record what is going on an posting your logs. 

Unfortunately I am still having this problem on occasion, but have not taken the time to post logs again recently. I hope it can be resolved at some point. 

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 9:17 PM

I want to thank everyone for their input. It appears it is related to the indexing and I found once it was done, I had to restart the program and it no longer became an issue. It is strange but workable. Thanks again.

Posts 36
DeWayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 15 2013 5:34 PM

I had the same problem. Yes indexing is a workhorse.

First:
If you don't already have it download smcFanControl. This will allow you to see your temps in the menu bar (if you check a box in the preferences). I setup smc with additional rpm settings 3k, 4k, 5k and 6k. So I can super cool my computer fast if I need to. I'm also a programmer and artist studying for ministry @ The King University (at 45 years old whoa), so tools like Adobe Photoshop and Video Editing require the fans to be turned up.

Second:
Logos doesn't just index, it loves to download the latest and greatest. I have found downloading once a month is fine. All downloads, for whatever reason, are huge and they don't need to be. So in the preferences of Logos 5 you can turn off Internet Access. I've noticed indexing does not run as often when you do this, so this was my second biggest fix to overheating with Logos 5.

Third:
Thermal Paste. If your Macbook Pro is older than three years old, the thermal paste applied is very thick and around three years no longer really does it job. So if you google it you'll see how to clean the old paste off the processor and put a small amount back on, no where near the amount it was shipped with.

Fourth:
Cooling Pad. I have yet to get a cooling pad, but if you run a lot of heavy apps there are many cooling pads out there that'll help you lower the temp 8-10 degrees.

I use to go through computers once a month. I have two Macbook Pros and I use my 2009 version still. I have not even loaded my 2013 Macbook Pro yet. I'll probably give it to my daughter.

Posts 12
WGTShedd | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2013 2:09 PM

Thanks for your thorough response. I think I download at least once a week (community prices) and find the fan a great annoyance. Even after indexing, the fan still runs. Will look into trying some of your suggestions. I download each day but maybe I'll turn it off and only do it in the evening when going to bed. Turning off the internet function may be worth it (though I like how it syncs with my ipad, highlights, etc.).

My Macbook Pro is late 2010; hope to get the newest one this or next week. Logos should run faster and cooler with the new system.

I think the competitor is faster and more efficient but Logos has all the resources. I do most of my study with the competitor and additional research with Logos.

Great help DeWayne.

Posts 164
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:09 PM

I had this problem for several months and it has been reported by others as well. It appears the upgrade to OS X Mavericks (10.9) may have fixed this issue. What version of OS X are you running?

Logos 9 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (21H1) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.15.7 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPadPro (2020) iPadOS 14.6 | iPhoneXR iOS 14.6

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS