A proper aleph?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 13 2013 2:35 PM

Just noticed yet another comma, instead of an aleph. 

Is this an encoding issue on Logos' end? A font issue? Some resources have it correctly (and proper ayins, too!) and others do not. This is from Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. 

Does this count as a typo? Should I be reporting them all?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 26306
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2013 2:43 PM

Ben:
Does this count as a typo? Should I be reporting them all?

yes and yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 11:26 AM

Since it's a systemic issue, I'll file an internal bug report for this resource. (It should be U+02BE, not U+02D2.)

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2013 1:01 PM

This should be fixed in the 2013-10-22 update to the resource.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 10:05 AM

Looks like this is a problem in the Word Biblical Commentary as well. 

This from the Genesis 1 volume. (The arrows are mine, but look at the alephs in the right column.) 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 10:33 AM

I'm afraid I don't understand you.  What is a systemic problem with WBC?  I'm looking at your example of Irad עירד and I note that the yod is a correct transliteration of the Hebrew while I thought you were referring to the transliteration of the aleph.  Perhaps you can explain it more simply so I can understand.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10525
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 11:04 AM

George Somsel:
I'm afraid I don't understand you

Believe he may have been referring to the transliteration of Methuselah

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 11:28 AM

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:
I'm afraid I don't understand you

Believe he may have been referring to the transliteration of Methuselah

That is also correct since it is different in cap 5 from cap 4.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 11:59 AM

Right, there was a period of time when our only transliteration font had used the wrong Unicode code point for the aleph and ayin transliteration marks. At the time it looked right, but when we switched fonts, it suddenly looked wrong. They should be corrected in all the resources created during that period of time. Luckily the incorrect marks (the forms positioned lower) are not commonly encountered in biblical studies, so a simple find-replace is unlikely to introduce many (if any) typos. In any event it will fix far more than it breaks. I'll send a reminder about the issue to the team involved.

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 11:23 AM

I thought I'd found some more of these bad alephs as commas, in the Jewish New Testament Commentary. 

However, it looks like the JNT is using a comma instead of a schewa, which is quite weird.

Posts 1359
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 11:27 AM

According to google books, these commas should be alephs, which is not a good choice of transliteration of Hebrew. 

So there is some kind of Logos encoding problem here, because in Logos these are commas, not alephs. 
https://books.google.com/books?id=ES_BNmC18GIC&pg=PA2005&dq=%22upholding+all+that+exists+by+his+powerful+word%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij89bDsv3MAhXELmMKHdCzDY4Q6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=%22upholding%20all%20that%20exists%20by%20his%20powerful%20word%22&f=false

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 11:41 AM

I don't have the JNT so I was not aware of this problem until you raised it.  This is simply one of the reasons I don't like transliteration.  Hebrew should be Hebrew and Greek should be Greek.

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS