Logos 5 on a lenovo Yoga I5, anyone?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 57
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 14 2013 1:44 PM

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a Surface pro2 to run logos 5 from, but I`ve seen a deal  on a Lenovo yoga convertible laptop, from the QVC outlet store here in the UK,  for a much better price than the surface 2. I just wanted to check if anyone had run logos 5 on the Yoga 13, I5 processor, and could tell me how it runs.

The Yoga comes with 4gb, but can be upgraded to 8gb, which I would probably do. The I5 processor, is a 3rd generation I5 1.7GHz Core i5-3317U, if that makes any difference.I believe the graphics are Intel HD 4000)

I appreciate any advice that anyone can give. The deal makes the yoga about £400, $600 cheaper than the surface pro 2, and the yoga already has a keyboard, whereas the keyboard cover for the surface runs at about £99 over here in the UK.

I appreciate any advice that anyone can give me.

Blessings

Duncan

Posts 57
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 12:12 AM
Or even if anyone is running Logos 5 on a Core i5-3317U laptop or tablet of any kind with that can give me some idea of how it runs. I would plan on upgrading to 8gb ram.The touch interface on this tablet/laptop would be useful for portable full logos, and the 13" screen looks really good. The graphics are Intel HD 4000 integrated if that is relevant. I appreciate any advice. Blessings Duncan
Posts 2576
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:27 AM

I am running the Surface Pro (1st generation) with the 128 GB SSD which has the same processor as the Yoga you are looking at. It handles Logos 5 fine. Since I have the Surface Pro I haven't looked at the yoga. Make sure you get a stylus or you will need to use a mouse for highlighting in Logos.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 8:56 AM

Duncan Campbell:
The Yoga comes with 4gb, but can be upgraded to 8gb, which I would probably do. The I5 processor, is a 3rd generation I5 1.7GHz Core i5-3317U, if that makes any difference.I believe the graphics are Intel HD 4000)

I run Logos 5 Gold on an Asus Zenbook Prime that has similar specs to the Yoga (i5 processor, 4gb RAM, 128gb SSD) and it handles it like a champ. The real key is the solid state hard drive. The yoga will perform fine for you, I expect.

RD3

Logos Marketing | ray.deck@logos.com

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 11:25 AM

I use a Lenova Twist - here are the specs:

I am pleased with LOGOS' operation on my system.  With SSD, your experience should be even better.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 12:01 PM

There is no problem at all with those specs for running Logos. The two issues I would be concerned with are 1) the form factor - there's a big difference in the tablets vs many of the hybrids so make sure it's comfortable in your hands for the use you intend; and 2) digitizer - if you want to use Logos in tablet mode you will need a device with a digitizer and I'm not sure the Yoga has one (It's built in to the tablet, not an add-on). Otherwise, you must be prepared to use a mouse as David said above.

Posts 57
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 1:26 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So from what's been said I would really need a tablet that has a stylus. Is that down to the size of Logos on screen, or the action required for highlighting?

Would the 13" screen on the yoga allow me to highlight without a digitiser? As the yoga is a tablet, and a laptop I suppose I might  need to use the integrated touchpad on the laptop part of the yoga for the highlighting?

Do you think I would be able to scroll for reading and other aspects of Logos on a 13" screen with finger touch, albeit if I need to flip to laptop mode for highlighting.

David, I see you are running Logos 5 on a Surface Pro 1, would you say I am better with that than the yoga, because of the stylus? I was attracted to the yoga as I can take the memory up to 8gb, and it has a 13" screen.  The surface pro 2 gets really expensive to get a version with 8gb of ram. I am assuming that Logos 5 will run better with 8gb of ram.The different positions of the yoga would also allow me to use Logos, Glo bible, Illumina etc. with a small group in Sunday school.

Sorry for more questions, but I want to make sure that I make the correct decision.

Blessings

Duncan

Posts 2576
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 10:32 PM

Duncan Campbell:

David, I see you are running Logos 5 on a Surface Pro 1, would you say I am better with that than the yoga, because of the stylus? I was attracted to the yoga as I can take the memory up to 8gb, and it has a 13" screen.  The surface pro 2 gets really expensive to get a version with 8gb of ram. I am assuming that Logos 5 will run better with 8gb of ram.The different positions of the yoga would also allow me to use Logos, Glo bible, Illumina etc. with a small group in Sunday school.

Sorry for more questions, but I want to make sure that I make the correct decision.

Blessings

Duncan

My understanding is that since Logos is a 32 bit program, you won't gain much increased performance with the additional Ram. The extra will help with other programs, but not much with Logos.

My personal opinion is that a 13" screen is too small to share with a group even if you do the tent mode or something similar.

Read through this thread - http://community.logos.com/forums/t/57269.aspx but start in middle of page 3 (Feb 2013) after the Pro became available

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 15
David Record | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 17 2013 11:12 AM

The Yoga should also have a touchpad which makes the stylus less critical.  You would have to use it in laptop mode when highlighting and a few other tasks that do not like touch but 90% of the time you could use it as a tablet with no problems. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS