Dell Venue 8 Pro

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 58
Joel Ingram | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 15 2013 3:57 PM

I see Dell has this full windows 8.1 unit coming out. Specs: Atom QC, small footprint/screen 1280x800, decent battery life, 64gb version as well (as best I know), 2 GB memory. Decent reviews so far - pre-launce.

How might this play with Logos? I've quite interested and she ships in a few days.

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 15 2013 4:50 PM

Joel Ingram:
How might this play with Logos? I've quite interested and she ships in a few days.

I am a Mac user and have no idea… but I would be VERY concerned about the 2 GB memory and the 64GB HD.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2900
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 5:45 PM

Joel Ingram:

I see Dell has this full windows 8.1 unit coming out. Specs: Atom QC, small footprint/screen 1280x800, decent battery life, 64gb version as well (as best I know), 2 GB memory. Decent reviews so far - pre-launce.

Though the 2 GB memory is more than an iPad, it still is not enough to run full blown Logos 5 acceptably in my opinion.  Better try something with 8 GB if you want to really run Logos.  Otherwise, you will be running Logos very slowly.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 16 2013 7:40 PM

The last generation tablets with an Atom processor and 2GB of RAM did not run Logos acceptably to me. The Surface Pro with an i5 processor and 4GB RAM runs Logos very well.

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 8:14 AM

First if all, these Dell tablets will use the new Bay Trail Atom processors. I have an Asus VivoTab Smart, and this should easily outperform it while maintaining good battery life. My concern is with the 8 inch screen. There will soon be a Dell Venue Pro 11, available with either the Bay Trail Atom or the Haswell i3 or i5 processor, more RAM, and more SSD space. And all for less, I suspect, than the Surface Pro 2. My guess is that Bay Trail with at least 4 gigs of RAM will run L5 adequately. Yes, an i5 and 8 gigs are better still. But enough of an improvement to justify the price? Your call!

edit: Just for clarification, I do use L5 on my VivoTab Smart now and then. It does run, but be prepared to take a couple of sips of coffee between searches and the like. The VivoTab has 2 gigs of RAM and the older Atom processor. This Dell Venue, even with the 2 gigs, will outperform my Asus. You can save your resources to a microSD card if you wish. But, will the 8 inch screen be large enough, even with a stylus? That I don't know. Otherwise, this little Dell is very tempting for the price! 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS