Introducing Biblical Hebrew - Allen Ross: mistakes and corrections

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 15 2013 6:44 PM

I've been working through the book on Logos, and have noticed some errors. I've submitted them using "Report Typo," but it occurred to me that if there's anyone depending on this book in Logos for learning Hebrew this fall, there's a chance it'll mess 'em up. So I thought I'd keep a running list of the things I found here until the errors are updated. (All errors are being checked against the hardback, Ross, Allen P. Introducing Biblical Hebrew, 2nd ed. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2001.) 

1. Regular Verb Paradigm (Part 4 study aids): 
  • Hiphil Active Participle, fpl: should be מַפְקִידוֹת
  • Hophal Perfect, 3msg, 3fg, and 2msg should all begin with הָ rather than הִ  

2. Lesson 22, exercise b (7), just a spacking issue, בַּמִּדְ בָּ֑ר should be בַּמִּדְבָּ֑ר

I know there's another one in the exercises, but I can't remember where it is right now. Updates as I find them (or others, please?!)

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 7:08 PM

Paradigm chart: regular verbs.  Hiphil 3fsg is missing the hiriq in the hiriq yod: should be הִפְקִּ֫ידָה not הִפְקּ֫ידָה

The Imperfect 3mg hiphil in the paradigm chart is missing the prefix. 

Page 215  סָתַר  Hiphil to hide, conceal [something], pf. הִסְחִּיר : the pf. should be הִסְתּיר

Page 217 (exercises 30.b.11)       אַל־תִּשְׁפְּכוּ־ם should be       אַל־תִּשְׁפְּכוּ־דָם  Also, the last part of that sentence should read:

‍(this last waw should be a holem-waw)אַל־תִּשְׁלְחוּ־ב֑ו

Posts 222
Justin Cofer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 7:45 PM

In chapter eight, 8.4.2.  the bet should be a nun.

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 10:04 PM

Justin Cofer:

In chapter eight, 8.4.2.  the bet should be a nun.

I looked it up to see if that was the one I was forgetting, and got confused. I kept looking at it and saying, "but, it IS a nun!" Then I realized that I was still looking in the hardback book, and not Logos.

Oops Embarrassed

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 20 2013 1:34 PM

This seems like the kind of thing for which Community Notes would be excellent.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2013 4:25 PM

I thought about that, but since I haven't messed with it much, I don't know if I can erase the notes once the issues get fixed, and I didn't want to end up having a document attached to the book that then read as "here's were you all screwed up before you fixed it." So I decided to post them here.  

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 30 2013 5:20 PM

Hiphil perfect, 3fsg should not have the dagesh forte in the ssecond radical. Instead, it should be a hiriq yod.

Posts 222
Justin Cofer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 30 2013 6:40 PM

Jems:

Hiphil perfect, 3fsg should not have the dagesh forte in the ssecond radical. Instead, it should be a hiriq yod.

In what section?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS