Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 593
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 9:33 PM

Sir Maru:

The Logos Bible App requires that Location Based Services be turned on.

This isn't quite true. We do require the permission to use Location Based Services, but you can easily disable the app's use of Location Based Services by turning off the "Follow Presentations" checkbox in the Presentation Settings. If you turn off that checkbox, the Logos apps will not use any Location Based Services and thus should not affect your battery life.

Sir Maru:

That may be the reason that Amazon has ruled the Logos Bible App incompatible with the HDX. 

I think that's very unlikely, since there are many other apps on Amazon's app store that use the Location Based Services permission.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 4:04 PM

Could the programmers turn off that permission requirement for Location Based Services as part of the installation?  The question kept coming up on the HD when I had Logos Bible installed every time I opened it.  Just checking it in the settings does not end the continuous request when opening the app.

The only other Apps I had which used it, The Weather Channel and AccuWeather, allowed me to turn it off when I installed them.  Logos Bible App should give the same installation option.   GSam Battery Monitor does not show Location Based Services being used on either my HD or my HDX anymore.

Check other Apps on the Amazon Store which use Location Based Services without an installation option to reject it.  They may have the same red "X" for the HDX.  I believe the TuneIn Pro App at the Amazon Store also uses Location Based Services.  I have it on my PC but uninstalled it as well on my HD.  It also has a red "X" for the HDX.  I simply cannot have that app running on my HD or HDX even though I use it on my PC and paid for it on my HD.  Amazon does not have the HD blocked to either the Logos Bible App or the TuneIn Pro App.  However they have both blocked for the HDX.

You can always ask Amazon why the red "X" is there for the HDX with Logos Bible App.

When Location Based Services was running, I had occasional drops to zero of my battery current on the HD.  GSam clearly identified the culprit.  Without Location Based Services running, that never happens.  Those, who do not run GSam Battery Monitor, will never know what causes the occasional rapid depletion of their batteries.

The other problem with the Logos Bible App is the continuous updating of resources and ads in the background making WiFi use go through the roof which also drains current.  The NewsHog App used to do that and I had to uninstall it from my HD.  However, they now have an option to block that updating unless the user specifically wants it while using it.  They do NOT have a red "X" for the HDX at the Amazon Store.  When the App is idle, there is no more updating.  Logos, as well, should have an option to block all updating of resources and ads for new products in the background unless specifically requested by the user while using it.

Posts 593
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 7:39 AM

Sir Maru:

Could the programmers turn off that permission requirement for Location Based Services as part of the installation?  The question kept coming up on the HD when I had Logos Bible installed every time I opened it.  Just checking it in the settings does not end the continuous request when opening the app.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. In Android, permissions are requested statically and you cannot turn off a permission request while the app is running. It's just not possible. I'm interested to know what you're referring to with The Weather Channel and AccuWeather, since I do know they're not actually removing the permission to access your location (since that isn't possible).

Sir Maru:

You can always ask Amazon why the red "X" is there for the HDX with Logos Bible App.

We have done this, repeatedly. Amazon's response every time has been to close our support case with the message "We do not have any additional information at this time" Additionally, Amazon allows our Faithlife Study Bible app on the HDX and it also requests location permissions, so it's very unlikely that this is the issue.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 1:34 PM

Drew Hannay:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. In Android, permissions are requested statically and you cannot turn off a permission request while the app is running. It's just not possible. I'm interested to know what you're referring to with The Weather Channel and AccuWeather, since I do know they're not actually removing the permission to access your location (since that isn't possible).

When one installs The Weather Channel and AccuWeather, they request permission to obtain my location via their software.  I refuse and then supply my location manually.  Also, they allow turning off of alerts and automatic updating through their preferences.  Thus, they never use my Location Based Services and never request its use.  That means, when I access those Apps, the weather is from the prior access and I have to wait a few moments to get new data downloaded.  Using Location Based Services the weather would be continuously updated to my location even when I am not using those Apps.

As I remember the Logos Bible App on my HD always requested to use Location Based Services when I accessed that App plus it always was updating resources and ads even when I was not using it.  That is why I uninstalled it.

Now Location Based Services is always off and the battery lasts much longer than in the past.  With the HDX I have never allowed Location Based Services  to be turned on.

Posts 261
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 7 2013 10:34 AM

Good News! Amazon has accepted the Bible app 2.6.7 update for availability on all Kindle Fire devices including the newer generation Kindle fire devices.

Newer gen Kindle Fire devices should now be able to install the app directly from the Amazon store via:

Logos Bible App Amazon store listing

Posts 22
Nicholas B Brindisi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 7 2013 12:02 PM

Yes!!

I got the app installed on my Kindle HDX! :) 

Posts 5
Chris P Buri | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 7 2013 12:07 PM

That's great news!  Thanks for continuing to pursue this through to resolution.

Uninstalled the side-loaded APK version and this version installed fine on my Kindle Fire HDX!

Thanks!

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 9 2013 7:20 AM
I saw the Logos Bible App in the Cloud on my Kindle HDX. I downloaded it and then tried to run it. Again, a big warning came up that it requires Location Based Services noting I had turned it off. This is the only App which sends this kind of warning to me and I have dozens of Apps loaded. Thus, I did not install it. Can that requirement be turned off in the software? No other app has it that I have used. On the HD I had hit cancel but it came up every time I started Logos and forced me to uninstall it there as well. Location Based Services just drains too much power for my tastes.
Posts 30
Eric Fary | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2014 6:43 PM

Great news.  I just ordered the 64GB Amazon Kindle HDX for 279.  I really want this to work or I will return it.

Posts 30
Eric Fary | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 8:38 PM

Came today.  Installed without a hitch, and am downloading all my books on to a higher quality display.  7inches but I cannot afford the 8.9 inch.

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 11:33 PM

Eric Fary:

Came today.  Installed without a hitch, and am downloading all my books on to a higher quality display.  7inches but I cannot afford the 8.9 inch.

Thanks Eric,

We're happy this is working for you.!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS