Logos Books not Available for Mobile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:26 AM

Hello everyone,

This question may have been asked before, but I am not great at searching these forums.

I know there are several Logos books that are not available for mobile device use, what I am wondering is there a way or something we could do to get specific books made available? The one book I am looking for at this time is Point Man by Steve Farrar.  https://www.logos.com/product/2776/point-man-how-a-man-can-lead-his-family

I have another one of his books which is available, the difference is it is a Vyrso book. I understand there is a difference in the way a Vyrso title is created vs. a Logos title, but there should be something we could do.

Posts 21638
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:49 AM

Hi Mark

there is nothing we - as users - can do about this.

normally this is due to restrictions placed on Logos by the publishers - Logos have managed to get a lot of resources enabled for mobile access but there are still some, as you have found, which are still not available.

Logos rarely comments on on-going negotiations with publishers

Graham

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:00 AM

Thank you Graham,

Posts 27271
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:49 AM

Mark Prim:
I have another one of his books which is available, the difference is it is a Vyrso book.

To add just a little to what Graham wrote:

The issue isn't "Logos" vs. "Vyrso." The issue is the publisher allowing the resource for mobile use. In this case, there aren't any Multnomah resources "mobile enabled" in the Logos ecosystem that I am aware of. Logos has the philosophy that you should only have to purchase the resource ONCE (in the Logos ecosystem), and use it everywhere. Logos could charge you twice for a resource (mobile & desktop), but they don't. If they were to make exceptions for some resources, all the publishers would want and demand the same treatment… So Logos holds fast on principle. Thankfully so. 

In many cases, contracts have been renegotiated to allow mobile usage. If that happens, you will automatically have access to those resources.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:09 AM

Thank you Alabama24,

I agree...we should all agree that we should be thankful for Logos holding fast to their principles.

Posts 9851
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:41 AM

alabama24:
, there aren't any Multnomah resources "mobile enabled" in the Logos ecosystem that I am aware of.

huh?

comparing https://www.logos.com/products/search?Publisher=Multnomah&Platform=Internet&start=0&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60 

with https://www.logos.com/products/search?Publisher=Multnomah&start=0&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60 

it seems that 32 of 42 products are mobile enabled (taking out multi-publisher bundles it's 27 of 32). Maybe the non-enabled are based on a different contract (or input errors, or can be made available when Logos asks Multnohma about it).

The non-enabled ones are

• Piper: The Pleasures of God (very unlikely, since so many other Piper-books are mobile-enabled)
  • Stanley/Joiner/Jones: 7 Practices of Effective Ministry
  • Harris: I kissed Dating Goodby 
  • Farrar: Point Man
  • Farrar: Finishing Strong

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 11:22 AM

NB.Mick:

alabama24:
, there aren't any Multnomah resources "mobile enabled" in the Logos ecosystem that I am aware of.

huh?

comparing https://www.logos.com/products/search?Publisher=Multnomah&Platform=Internet&start=0&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60 

with https://www.logos.com/products/search?Publisher=Multnomah&start=0&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60 

it seems that 32 of 42 products are mobile enabled (taking out multi-publisher bundles it's 27 of 32). Maybe the non-enabled are based on a different contract (or input errors, or can be made available when Logos asks Multnohma about it).

The non-enabled ones are

• Piper: The Pleasures of God (very unlikely, since so many other Piper-books are mobile-enabled)
  • Stanley/Joiner/Jones: 7 Practices of Effective Ministry
  • Harris: I kissed Dating Goodby 
  • Farrar: Point Man
  • Farrar: Finishing Strong

Yeah, it seems to be a somewhat recent development that the Multnomah resources are mobile enabled.  It makes me wonder if those 5 were just overlooked.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 154
Sakarias Ingolfsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 11:41 AM

Hi

This may not be what you are looking for, but if you own a reading device it may help. I myself have found it very helpful:

http://wiki.logos.com/Export_a_Logos_Resource_to_an_eReader_format_$28Kindle,_Nook,_etc.$29

I usually only export short sections to a RTF file and then mail it to my send-to-kindle e-mail adress. I read the section on the kindle, and if I want to highlight something I can do it in Logos afterwards. If I want to read more, or even an entire book, I simply repeat the process.

Posts 27271
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:56 PM

NB.Mick:

Interesting. I don't think that was always the case… but I have been wrong before. Smile

(I am anxiously awaiting 7 practices).

EDIT: Another thing I thought of… Multnomah was bought out. Maybe books added to Logos AFTER the buyout were limited. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 2:22 PM

The most likely reason why some are while some are not is to do with the age… I do not think Logos has brought anything in the last 3-4 years that is not mobile. while older contracts need to be reworked and it may well be the contracts on those books will not be dealt with till their renewal date.

-Dan

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 3:03 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will keep this as a backup, but I was looking for it to be available in Logos.

Sakarias Ingolfsson:

Hi

This may not be what you are looking for, but if you own a reading device it may help. I myself have found it very helpful:

http://wiki.logos.com/Export_a_Logos_Resource_to_an_eReader_format_$28Kindle,_Nook,_etc.$29

I usually only export short sections to a RTF file and then mail it to my send-to-kindle e-mail adress. I read the section on the kindle, and if I want to highlight something I can do it in Logos afterwards. If I want to read more, or even an entire book, I simply repeat the process.

Posts 1881
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:23 AM

Mark Prim:
Thank you for the advice. I will keep this as a backup, but I was looking for it to be available in Logos.

On this question, I always recommend calling Logos directly with the question. Every time I've called Logos asking about mobile availability of a specific resource, they've found that it should have been available for mobile - it was merely an oversight. And I had it on my iPad within an hour or two.

Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS