Hardware to run Logos 4 more quickly

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 12
Nicholas A. B. Hall | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 21 2009 9:39 AM

I need to get a new hard drive for my computer, and wanted to get one that would increase the speed of Logos 4 searches. First, does the search scan the hard drive, or is there a list in the memory, so hard drive speed makes no difference. Second, what performance characteristic is needed from the hard drive? e.g. i/o operations, data transfer speed, etc.: what kind of operations does Logos perform the most?

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 9:48 AM

Logos 4 uses your whole machine, so "better" helps in almost every category. 

More memory probably returns the best bang-for-the-buck in performance. 4 GB or more means Logos can keep more stuff in memory instead of hitting the hard drive as much.

For the hard drive itself, faster is better -- 7200 rpm drives instead of 5400 rpm, for example.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:30 AM

One can't do better than have a reply from the Pres. However, you didn't mention if you are running on a laptop or desktop and what your operating system is.

Laptops will benefit from a 7200 RPM drive. if you currently have the standard 5400 RPM drive. Some Logos functions can improve 25% with just this change. Desktops usually are already running 7200 RPM so you will not gain anything by just replacing the drive.

Your operating system can make a difference as well. I went from Vista (32 bit) to Windows 7 (64 bit) and got about 50% increase in some Logos operations. I believe XP is snappier than Vista already. If you are replacing your main drive and have to reload everything this might be the time to consider an operating system upgrade.

4 GB of RAM will also make a difference as Bob mentioned. To get all the 4 GB to be seen by your computer you need a 64 bit operating system. 32 bit systems will see a little over 3 GB. I had 4 GB but not all was accessed until I switched to a 64 bit operating system.

Hope this helps.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:34 AM

Unless you get a 10,000 rpm drive, but those are probably generally found on server products. Although I think they may have crept into the desktop workstation space.

Posts 1
Darrel Schneider | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 10:36 AM

Anyone have experience with using an SSD with logos?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:17 PM

Darrel there are a few threads on SSD's around here.  Check out the search facility at the top of the page.

http://community.logos.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=ssd

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 197
Valerie Pobog | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 12:42 PM

Hi Mark,

Where do I go to find the rpm of my drive?

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 1:05 PM

Valerie Pobog:

Hi Mark,

Aside from installing third party software to establish your drive speed the best way is to check the manufacture's website and look at the specs for your computer's model number.  If you have a desktop PC you can almost bet the farm that you have a HD that spins at 7200 rpms.  Only high end gaming rigs usually come with 10,000 rpm drives as standard and 5400 rpm drives are usually  found on laptops [although some may have 7200s].

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 1:54 PM

Valerie Pobog:

As noted above, do an internet search on the mfg and model of your hard drive. That should take you to the mfg website, find the spec page for your model, and it should be listed there.

You can get the best out of your current hard drive by (a) defragmenting it occasionally and (b) maintaining some free space on the drive, if possible 30%.

Scott

Edited

Posts 197
Valerie Pobog | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 1:55 PM

Thanks! Got the information. I had thought maybe it would be in device manager.

Posts 12
Nicholas A. B. Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 2:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have a laptop running 5400 RPM. I'll have to get a 7200 RPM. I'm running XP. Would windows 7 be faster. I guess a new computer would really be the way to go (current 2GHz single core, 1GB RAM (planned upgrade to 2, which is max).

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 2:44 PM

Nicholas A. B. Hall:

Thanks for all the replies. I have a laptop running 5400 RPM. I'll have to get a 7200 RPM. I'm running XP. Would windows 7 be faster. I guess a new computer would really be the way to go (current 2GHz single core, 1GB RAM (planned upgrade to 2, which is max).

The RAM upgrade will give you the biggest bang.  On top of that (and neglecting any CPU upgrades) a faster drive with as large a cache as possible will provide a small boost. 

IMO when considering RAM, CPU, and HardDrive upgrades the smallest return on investment is probably going to be harddrive.  But it's also cheaper to upgrade a Harddrive than a CPU.  YMMV

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 9:09 PM

Nicholas A. B. Hall:
I guess a new computer would really be the way to go (current 2GHz single core, 1GB RAM (planned upgrade to 2, which is max).

Your limitation of 2GB of RAM might make buying up rather than upgrading RAM and the HDD the best option. If you decide to go that way, look for a 64 bit operating system, 4GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM hard drive as a minimum. (It is a challenge with some makers to get the 7200 RPM drive).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 9:19 PM

If you're going to get a new computer anyway, people have reported that a faster video card can make a significant difference. Of course if you're sticking with a laptop you won't be able to upgrade the integrated video card, but get one with the best specs possible.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS