Uh-oh - no footnotes in iWork Pages?

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 1555
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 10:58 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
Just looking for some clarification (assurance) If I upgrade to Maverick my old pages is still installed and can be used as now?

Yes, and even if you install the new Pages, the old Pages will still be in your applications folder in the folder named, "iWork 09."

However, if you open a Pages document in the new Pages app, it will be automatically converted to the new Pages format and you will not be able to open it in the old Pages app (you can convert it back to the old format by exporting the document as "Pages 09" in the new app).

Clear? Wink

Posts 1210
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2013 11:03 AM

Integ:

Mike Tourangeau:
Just looking for some clarification (assurance) If I upgrade to Maverick my old pages is still installed and can be used as now?

Yes, and even if you install the new Pages, the old Pages will still be in your applications folder in the folder named, "iWork 09."

However, if you open a Pages document in the new Pages app, it will be automatically converted to the new Pages format and you will not be able to open it in the old Pages app (you can convert it back to the old format by exporting the document as "Pages 09" in the new app).

Clear? Wink

As my childhood pastor use to say "Clear as mud"...... Thanks :)

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 6:20 AM

alabama24:

Do you need Tim's cell phone number? Surprise

I'll gladly accept if you have it Wink although I suspect Tim might try and put a restraining order on me ringing him with endless comments and suggestions Cool - wouldn't be enforceable in Europe I would suspect.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2013 7:25 AM

Martin Potter:

Until Apple provides documentation on this new format, we likely will not be able to support footnotes from Logos.

Apple can be a bit naughty in that regard, part of their culture of keeping things close to their chest. I think in this case they didn't want to let the cat out of the bag about the major changes to the iWork suite. I trust they will now though do the right thing and give developers like Logos the necessary information. If they don't you should get the Logos community behind you in pressuring them.

Martin Potter:

Pages 5.0 does indeed support footnotes; however, the format they use to store/retrieve that information from the pasteboard when using copy/paste has changed. 

From what I see the iWork suite has had a total rewrite, it's not an upgrade. Obviously one of the goals was interop between OS X, iOS and iCloud versions. This means there has been a reset, and in some areas a reduction, of the functionality which will have to come back - something like what happened with Final Cut Pro X. Looking at the big picture Apple did provide the new versions free, and the old versions are still installed and working.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 26
Jason Fletcher | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 3:38 PM

Any progress being made on this issue?

Posts 24
Scott Monkus | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 5:01 PM

Great suggestions, another great mac app for writing is called Scrivener.

Posts 1
Tim Faulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2014 6:00 AM

Until Pages has been updated, one thing I have found as a workaround to this is to manual insert the footnotes.  You can get the appropriate information by clicking the "i" (Info) on the Logos resource you have opened -- the scroll down to Citation and then click "Copy".  You can then copy that into a manually inserted footnote.  For the page number, you can select the option under the resource pull down to show the page numbers.  So, it's a little more of a pain, but not too terrible when you get the hang of it.  

Posts 19
Paul Immanuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 2:02 PM

As mentioned by several, this has to do with the update of Pages. There are essentially two workarounds. The first is to go back to the old iWork. Apple did not erase my old iWork program, but simply put it in a folder under applications called "iWord". The second it to copy and paste the paragraph or article into another program like Scrivner. Then, copy and paste it into Pages. That appears to work for me. 

Posts 27551
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2014 2:57 PM

Paul Immanuel:
Apple did not erase my old iWork program, but simply put it in a folder under applications called "iWord".

I believe the folder should be named "iWorks 09." I did a fresh install and no longer have that folder.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3
The. Rev. Trevor L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 15 2014 12:29 PM

Yes both version of pages will be on your computer.

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 18 2014 1:41 AM

need manifest jesus by fixing this problem in logos where it does not copy and paste , its dear stuff , the cheap stuff does it , just to copy and paste passages of scripture , this problem is gone on for ages , will logos fix it , any way round getting it sorted , 

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 18 2014 1:45 AM

the problem is logos mate not pages , as it does not copy and paste in lots of updated apps when everything is updated on mac , it needs some good old fashion graft and get it fixed , forget clever talk , if the cheap free bible apps can do it , then is it a big thing for a £1000.000 to do it , come on 

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 18 2014 2:11 AM

It is frustrating that Faithlife still seem to be stuck in the Microsoft mentality - docx files for personal books - copy and paste only working for 'Word'.

I guess that the reason this doesn't get more attention on the forum is because the work round only requires one extra keypress Cmd+V.

However the promise of a 'Built for the Mac from the ground up' programme seems to be as far away as ever from fulfilment.

Posts 27551
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 18 2014 5:06 PM

Darren peter wright:
the problem is logos mate not pages

See this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/82497/577554.aspx#577554 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS