Performance Tip for HDDs.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 164
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 23 2013 11:04 AM

Repartitioning the hard drive to ensure Logos is on the outer edge of the drive may noticeably help performance because the outer edge of the drive is faster than the inner portion of the drive.

In my case, I have a 750GB 7200RPM drive. A quick benchmark showed the first portion ranged between 100-125MB/s. The middle portion of the drive was 75-100MB/s. And the last portion (the inner portion of the drive) was 50-75MB/s. I repartitioned my drive to 140GB for the C: drive and 555GB for the D: drive.

On my PC I had made the C: partition relatively small and had placed Logos on a much larger D: partition. My hard drive was almost full and when I defragged using PerfectDisk it ended up placing Logos at the end of the D: drive which meant that it was at the inner portion of the drive. Logos became substantially slower due to this. So I recently repartitioned to increase the C: drive and reinstalled Logos to the C: drive. For me, Logos is currently wrapped around the page file which is also an added bonus. After this Logos seems much more responsive on my late 2009 PC.

What does this mean? Basically, if you have a lot of data stored on your hard drive Logos may be pushed further down. You can use a free defragmenting tool such as Piriform's Defraggler to determine where Logos is on your PC (Defraggler allows you to click on the boxes to show what files are in each cluster). If the Logos files are further down than the first 1/3rd of the drive, try getting them closer to the top should help performance.

Another option for users of PerfectDisk is to use the Performance or Performance-Aggressive SMARTPlacement options to move recently modified files to the top/first part of the disk. Since Logos updates and indexes somewhat regularly, it would most likely be placed where recently modified files go when defragmenting.

Hope this information is helpful.

Logos 9 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (21H1) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.15.7 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPadPro (2020) iPadOS 14.6 | iPhoneXR iOS 14.6

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2013 10:23 PM

DivineCordial:
In my case, I have a 750GB 7200RPM drive. A quick benchmark showed the first portion ranged between 100-125MB/s. The middle portion of the drive was 75-100MB/s. And the last portion (the inner portion of the drive) was 50-75MB/s. I repartitioned my drive to 140GB for the C: drive and 555GB for the D: drive.

Another partition scheme:

105 GB - F: (Fast) for Logos and Windows Page File

140 GB - C: for Windows

225 GB - M: (Medium) for files and documents used more often

225 GB - S: (Slow) for files and documents seldom used

Optionally could have Windows compress all files and folders on S: drive to effectively increase storage capacity.  Personally download stuff to S: and have Libronix 3 installed on M: partition.  For forum replies, am saving screen shots to S: then attaching.

Reply => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/295852.aspx#295852 includes F: installation being up to 7 % faster in Logos.

If add a Solid State Disk (SSD) to computer, Logos can be copied to SSD, then change drive letters so SSD becomes F: drive.  Thankful for a SATA III SSD noticeably improving Logos performance.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2013 4:38 AM

DivineCordial:
A quick benchmark showed the first portion ranged between 100-125MB/s. The middle portion of the drive was 75-100MB/s. And the last portion (the inner portion of the drive) was 50-75MB/s. I repartitioned my drive to 140GB for the C: drive and 555GB for the D: drive.

Sequential performance can be misleading as it is not the main way data is accessed in typical consumer systems  e.g. 5 MB can be transferred in as little as  0.05s, 0.07s or 0.1s in each of the areas you describe, but the differences are not noticeable in practice. Random access of much smaller amounts of data is more typical and that is why SSD's are so fast! A 2.5" (laptop size) 10,000rpm HDD is worth considering over a 7200rpm drive for a desktop.

The C: drive is quite volatile and fragmentation occurs quite readily, so tools for defragging with 'smart placement' are useful. I keep the C: drive small and install Logos to the second partition (D: drive) which I defrag after Indexing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 164
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2013 5:53 PM

Dave Hooton:

Sequential performance can be misleading as it is not the main way data is accessed in typical consumer systems  e.g. 5 MB can be transferred in as little as  0.05s, 0.07s or 0.1s in each of the areas you describe, but the differences are not noticeable in practice. Random access of much smaller amounts of data is more typical and that is why SSD's are so fast! A 2.5" (laptop size) 10,000rpm HDD is worth considering over a 7200rpm drive for a desktop.

The C: drive is quite volatile and fragmentation occurs quite readily, so tools for defragging with 'smart placement' are useful. I keep the C: drive small and install Logos to the second partition (D: drive) which I defrag after Indexing.

I agree benchmarks can be somewhat misleading as opposed to what is experienced. In the case I gave, the performance was noticeably better after moving Logos from the inner portion of the drive to the outer portion (it felt almost unusable before). Unfortunately, I did not record any tests for the before and after.

Keeping Logos on a secondary partition would be fine if the primary is kept small and either there is not much else on the partition, or if a defragmentation method is used that would tend to move Logos to the beginning of the partition. In my case, my secondary drive was almost full (~10GB free on a 613GB partition), and Logos was pushed to the end. The only thing after this was a 20GB Ubuntu setup.

Logos 9 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (21H1) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.15.7 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPadPro (2020) iPadOS 14.6 | iPhoneXR iOS 14.6

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS