PC version of Logos 5 on a Tablet running Full PC version of Windows 8

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1460
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 3 2013 1:17 PM
Is anyone running the PC version of Logos 5 on a tablet using the full PC version of Windows 8? I'm interested in the Lenovo IdeaTab K3 Lynx 11.6-Inch 64 GB Tablet as a replacement for the 7-inch Kindle Fire I'm using for Logos 5 when away from my PCs. I'm hoping there are a few people who have some experience with these units who would be willing to share their opinions/findings.
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Posts 2836
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 8:25 PM
I hope you get some helpful replies from those who share their experiences with Logos 5 on a tablet. I, too, am looking for a tablet that will run Logos 5. It seems to me there is a big difference in running Logos 5 and running it well. The amount of RAM memory is one of my big concerns. I would think that it would take 4 to 8 GB of RAM to run Logos well.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1205
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 8:28 PM
You are going to want a keyboard; I prefer convertibles for this reason...but I rarely just read--I highlight heavily, make the odd note, and look. Up stuff. A keyboard and mouse/trackpad are vital with the present GUI, especially at higher resolutions. I also never use less than an i5 processor. If you search the forums, there are a host of good ideas for tablet readers--like using column view, but with one column, and customizing pen flicks/etc
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 4:26 PM

Michael Childs:
The amount of RAM memory is one of my big concerns. I would think that it would take 4 to 8 GB of RAM to run Logos well.

Logos 5 is a 32 bit application.  On a Dell Latitude ST tablet with an Intel Atom Z670 CPU @ 1.50 GHz and 2 GB of RAM, noticed 1.3 GB used while Logos 5.1 SR-3 is open with 25 tabs, including a few with some visual filter highlighting.

Personally need more storage than 64 GB since my Logos 5 folder uses 41.9 GB.  Windows 7 uses 17.6 GB so have 49.1 GB free.

Note: 128 GB SSD has a formatted capacity of 119.4 GB.  Dell created 10.49 GB recovery partition and 108.71 GB C: partition.  If 64 GB SSD formatting has a recovery partition, free space on C: could be less than 32 GB.  For indexing, Logos needs adequate free space for two copies of Library Index while merging (my LibraryIndex folder uses 9.29 GB).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 6:55 PM

I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for this very reason.  It runs Logos 5 very well. 

Posts 1460
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 8:30 PM
I want to thank everyone who has responded--the feedback as been very helpful. Today I had the opportunity to look at three pieces of hardware: 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HDX; 11.6 inch Lenovo IdeaTab K3 Lynx 64 GB Tablet; 13.3 inch Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Convertible Touchscreen Ultrabook. Even though the Lynx tablet was running the PC version of Windows 8, I ruled it out on account of screen resolution--it's just nowhere near the quality of either the Kindle or the Yoga regarding clarity of text. I did not enjoy the reading experience on it at all. I was even less interested in other tablets I looked at because they shared the same text quality issue as the Lynx, plus they had even less flexibility than the Lynx because most of them ran the Android OS. That left the Kindle Fire HDX and the Lenovo Yoga. Both devices have excellent text quality--I'd be hard pressed to choose one over the other in that regard. All-in-all, I prefer the Yoga over the Kindle because it's running the PC version of Windows 8, has excellent battery life, and would be much more flexible than the Kindle. But the price! Ouch! The device is calling my name, but at $1000.00, it's a purchase I'm hard pressed to justify. That leaves the Kindle Fire HDX. It doesn't have nearly as tempting a voice when calling my name as the Yoga, but at it's sale price today of $323, it's roughly 1/3 the price of the Yoga, so it doesn't need as strong a sales pitch as the Yoga. Bottom line... it's a struggle to decide, but I think if there's a purchase in my near future, it will be the Kindle, and I'll wait to see where pricing goes over the next year on the Yoga class devices.
Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 9:20 AM

SInce it appears that you might be waiting for a less expensive Windows-based tablet to run Logos 5 and instead considering the Logos mobile application, I would sincerely recommend looking at the iPad.  It is a very nice tablet.  Holds its value for a long time in the event you want to sell it later.  The mobile version of Logos works well.  I am a Windows user and an iPad user.  I use Logos 5 on my desktop and laptop and the iOS mobile app on the iPad.  Works great.

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 11:18 AM

Have you thought about the Lenovo Yoga 11s?  Newegg has them refurbished for a decent price.  The RAM and SSD are both upgradeable on these. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313605

Or perhaps a Thinkpad Twist?

http://www.antonline.com/p_33472YU-PG_1034293.htm?sID=PG

Posts 29
Orville J Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 11:40 AM

I have the new Microsoft Surface Pro 2 tablet (i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD).  It runs Logos 5 just fine so far - although I do not seem to push Logos as hard as some of the folks I read in the forum (I usually have no more than 8-10 tabs open at any one time, searches are pretty simple).  In particular the resolution of the screen is superb (1920X1080).  Battery life when using Logos, internet, and maybe Word is about 7 hours.  Runs a full Windows 8.1.  But like so many of the tablets with the power to run Logos well, the price is steep (about $900).  I think that is often the issue for folks with tablets - to have the power to really run something like Logos the way we expect it to operate, you have be to be willing and able to spend the additional money to get beyond the Intel Atom processors and such.

Posts 244
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 1:26 PM
I run the full Logos5 on my ASUS Vivotab Smart me400c tablet. RAM 2gb, hard drive 64gb. This is now the fifth month and there has been no problems. I updated to the windows 8.1 few days ago and everything has been fine. I initially installed the Logos 5 on the tablet but have since moved it to the 64gb micro sd card to have more space. It works fine from there too. I do light research occasionally on it. Though it cannot be expected to run as smoothly as on a high-specs laptop, it serves the purpose of preaching, reading and having my whole library with me wherever I choose when I'm on the move. My laptop is for heavy duty
Posts 2836
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 2:58 PM

I am afraid that there is no cheap way to run Logos 5 on tablet. We might be able to run it on a sub $500 machine, but running it well will take more hardware. The price is going to be close to $1,000. If there is a cheaper way to run L5 well, I haven't found it yet.

And that is not even considering the fact that the program is not designed for a touch screen, no matter how expensive the tablet may be.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1460
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 5:57 PM
NOTE: I'M NOT SURE WHY, BUT NONE OF THE FORMATTING I USE WHEN ENTERING MY REPLIES IS BEING USED/DISPLAYED AFTER POSTING. IT'S ALL JUST RUN TOGETHER IN ONE BIG PARAGRAPH. IT SURE SEEMS TO BE WORKING FINE FOR EVERYONE ELSE! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Thanks to everyone for the additional thoughts and info! Steve, I have no experience with the iPads (either working with them or with understanding their CPU specs in comparison to Atom or Intel), but my daughter has one (the mini, I believe) and likes it a lot. Has Logos 5 for the iPad actually been written as a "touch" app? Erik, The pricing on the refurb units are definitely closer to what my wallet can support. And as already noted, I really like the flexibility of running the PC version of Windows 8. I'm concerned though about whether or not the 11 inch units have a large enough display to fit a simple Logos layout (say a 3 panel layout--one for highlight, one for a book/commentary, and one for a Bible) and still have decent font size in the two reading panels. I do like the smaller size in terms of portability but suspect the 13 in screens might give a better experience when actually using the device. I'm certainly interested in feedback on that issue. I will probably look into refurbed 13 inch units but will wait until units with the 4th gen I5 processors start to show up as they're much easier on battery drain than previous generations. Orville, Thanks for the input on the Surface Pro 2. I did look at one, but in addition to the same sticker shock as the Lenovo, the sales rep told me battery life (even on the new unit) would only be 4-5 hours... much less than the 8 hours Lenovo claims for the Yoga even though the Yoga has a larger screen. I never did verify the sales rep's statement though about the Surface Pro 2 battery life and it sounds like you're getting much better than what he quoted. I hope that's typical. I also think your use of Logos 5 is much more typical of mine. I'm just a layperson studying on/for my own--I'm definitely not a power user. Alexxy, I'm really glad to hear you've had no problem running Logos 5 from the micro SD card. I thought I'd read in some other thread that people had problems (at least on some tablets) of doing that. Perhaps I'll take a look at the ASUS unit to see if the screen res is better than on the other tablets I looked at as that was the real show-stopper for me regarding the tablets. I had high hopes when heading out to look at the Lenovo Lynx because I'd read good things about its resolution, but for me, text on the Lynx looked much more like text on my computer screens than like text on the Kindle, Lenovo Yoga, and the iPad. Sadly, computer style/quality text is just too taxing on this senior's eyes. :-( Michael, Your comment about Logos 5 not being designed for touch screens is definitely a factor in my thinking about possibly just going with something like the Kindle in the near term. I.e. If it's not possible to use "touch" to access all the Logos 5 features in the PC version of Windows 8 on something like the Yoga or the Surface Pro 2, then I'm not sure it's time to take the plunge yet on one of these convertible units. I "think" I'd be OK with the PC version on one of them "IF" a stylus can be used on them to achieve all the things done with a mouse when running Logos 5 on a PC. But I'm unclear at this point on exactly what can and can't be done on these touch screens when running the PC version of Logos 5. Even less clear on if there's a difference in what can/must be done using a finger and what can/must be done using a stylus. Also confused on whether the type of stylus makes a difference. Oh my!!!
Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 8:00 PM

RAusdahl:

Steve, I have no experience with the iPads (either working with them or with understanding their CPU specs in comparison to Atom or Intel), but my daughter has one (the mini, I believe) and likes it a lot. Has Logos 5 for the iPad actually been written as a "touch" app?

RAusdahl,

Primarily as a Windows user for many years ... 3.0 in the early 1990's, and every version since then.  I can sincerely recommend the iPad.  Yes, Logos is a touch app on the mobile platform.  iOS is a wonderful implementation of a computer operation system on a mobile device.   Very consistent and stable from version to version.  I know it may be a stretch, but have your daughter show you what she likes about it.  I think you won't be disappointed, even though the applications may be different than what you would use.

As far as Logos goes ... It is not the Logos 5 application that the mobile operating systems uses.  Whether Android or iOS, it is a mobile version of the app.  The full version, Logos 5, is reserved for Windows or OS X.  If you require all the capability of Logos, you will need to use Logos 5.  They share your resources (library), just not all the functionality.

An opinion:  I think the mobile version has an important place in the Logos product set.  Just like there are mobile versions of MS Office and iWork, there is mobile Logos.  There is a difference.

My point is regarding your decision for Android versus PC.  I would encourage you to consider iOS also.  That's all.

Please consider everything carefully.  Make sure you outline and consider your requirements for using Logos.  Pick the hardware platforms you need based on those requirements.  The Android mobile operating system is one of those.  Logos can fill almost every need (no Windows Phone, yet).

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 8:01 PM

RAusdahl:
NOTE: I'M NOT SURE WHY, BUT NONE OF THE FORMATTING I USE WHEN ENTERING MY REPLIES IS BEING USED/DISPLAYED AFTER POSTING. IT'S ALL JUST RUN TOGETHER IN ONE BIG PARAGRAPH. IT SURE SEEMS TO BE WORKING FINE FOR EVERYONE ELSE! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Thanks to everyone for the additional thoughts and info!

Steve, I have no experience with the iPads (either working with them or with understanding their CPU specs in comparison to Atom or Intel), but my daughter has one (the mini, I believe) and likes it a lot. Has Logos 5 for the iPad actually been written as a "touch" app?

Erik, The pricing on the refurb units are definitely closer to what my wallet can support. And as already noted, I really like the flexibility of running the PC version of Windows 8. I'm concerned though about whether or not the 11 inch units have a large enough display to fit a simple Logos layout (say a 3 panel layout--one for highlight, one for a book/commentary, and one for a Bible) and still have decent font size in the two reading panels. I do like the smaller size in terms of portability but suspect the 13 in screens might give a better experience when actually using the device. I'm certainly interested in feedback on that issue. I will probably look into refurbed 13 inch units but will wait until units with the 4th gen I5 processors start to show up as they're much easier on battery drain than previous generations.

Orville, Thanks for the input on the Surface Pro 2. I did look at one, but in addition to the same sticker shock as the Lenovo, the sales rep told me battery life (even on the new unit) would only be 4-5 hours... much less than the 8 hours Lenovo claims for the Yoga even though the Yoga has a larger screen. I never did verify the sales rep's statement though about the Surface Pro 2 battery life and it sounds like you're getting much better than what he quoted. I hope that's typical. I also think your use of Logos 5 is much more typical of mine. I'm just a layperson studying on/for my own--I'm definitely not a power user.

Alexxy, I'm really glad to hear you've had no problem running Logos 5 from the micro SD card. I thought I'd read in some other thread that people had problems (at least on some tablets) of doing that. Perhaps I'll take a look at the ASUS unit to see if the screen res is better than on the other tablets I looked at as that was the real show-stopper for me regarding the tablets. I had high hopes when heading out to look at the Lenovo Lynx because I'd read good things about its resolution, but for me, text on the Lynx looked much more like text on my computer screens than like text on the Kindle, Lenovo Yoga, and the iPad. Sadly, computer style/quality text is just too taxing on this senior's eyes. :-(

Michael, Your comment about Logos 5 not being designed for touch screens is definitely a factor in my thinking about possibly just going with something like the Kindle in the near term. I.e. If it's not possible to use "touch" to access all the Logos 5 features in the PC version of Windows 8 on something like the Yoga or the Surface Pro 2, then I'm not sure it's time to take the plunge yet on one of these convertible units. I "think" I'd be OK with the PC version on one of them "IF" a stylus can be used on them to achieve all the things done with a mouse when running Logos 5 on a PC. But I'm unclear at this point on exactly what can and can't be done on these touch screens when running the PC version of Logos 5. Even less clear on if there's a difference in what can/must be done using a finger and what can/must be done using a stylus. Also confused on whether the type of stylus makes a difference. Oh my!!!

Curious how reply editing is being done ?  Personally use forum editor in Opera; sometimes click HTML to modify codes.

Logos has mobile apps for iOS and Android.  Logos has an iPad page => https://www.logos.com/ipad  Apple offers refurbished iPad's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1460
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 6 2013 11:02 AM
Hi, Steve! I realize the Android and iOS tablets use the mobile version of the Logos app. Same goes for the Kindle Fire, which I understand uses the Android OS, but a version of it that's specific to the Kindles. From what I've seen of the Android OS (on some tablets and on the Kindle Fire), it's a diluted version of the PC version of Logos. For example, one thing I often find myself needing to do while in Logos is look up words in the books I'm reading. The look-up feature works fine on the PC version of Logos, but not on the Android versions. In general, I do think the Android version is pretty nice if working with just one book or commentary and possibly a Bible, but the lack of an efficient dictionary look-up capability is a real stumbling block for me. If the mobile app had the look-up feature, I think it might be all I need when away from my PCs, BUT... being able to run the PC version of Logos on the tablets and convertibles that run the full PC version of Windows 8, is appealing. Regarding the mobile devices, do you know how the Logos features available on the iPad OS compare with those on the Android devices?
Posts 1460
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 6 2013 11:18 AM
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus, I don't know if the format of my post as shown in your reply, is "identical" to the format I used when entering that post, but it's certainly very close. I don't recall having this problem with my posts in the past. I recently upgraded Windows from 8.0 to 8.1. That also updated my version of IE from 10 to 11. I wonder if either of those updates have anything to do with it. Thanks for the iPad links. I hadn't really considered them before, but my curiosity about them is on the increase. Since Apple uses hardware I'm not familiar with (e.g. different CPUs than on Android and Windows devices), I don't know how to evaluate their specs when comparing to Android devices. In fact, I'm so unfamiliar with them, I don't even know how to compare one Apple device to another, so I've got some homework to do before opting for an Apple device. I'm also in the dark as to whether the Logos features available on the Apple mobile devices are any different than those on the Android devices. (I.e. what if any, are the pros and cons of each system when comparing Logos 5 features on the two operating systems.) One of my stumbling blocks on the Android devices are the lack of an efficient dictionary look-up feature for the many times I run across words that aren't in my daily vocabulary.
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 6 2013 9:40 PM

RAusdahl:
That also updated my version of IE from 10 to 11.

Apologies: personally avoid using IE due to too many issues.

RAusdahl:
Since Apple uses hardware I'm not familiar with (e.g. different CPUs than on Android and Windows devices), I don't know how to evaluate their specs when comparing to Android devices.

Passmark has iOS benchmarks => http://www.iphonebenchmark.net/ and Android => http://www.androidbenchmark.net/ (noticed CPU benchmarks show Apple CPUs having significantly higher benchmark numbers)

RAusdahl:
I'm also in the dark as to whether the Logos features available on the Apple mobile devices are any different than those on the Android devices.

Logos started development of iOS app many months before Android so the iOS app is more mature than Android.  If correct display of Hebrew vowel points is important, then need Android 4.2 or newer.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 7 2013 10:50 AM

RAusdahl:

Regarding the mobile devices, do you know how the Logos features available on the iPad OS compare with those on the Android devices?

I do not know the differences.  I only have the iOS version of the mobile app.  Perhaps someone else with familiarity could chime in here.

Smile

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 7 2013 10:53 AM

Also RAusdahl,

You may find the following helps fix your formatting issues with IE 11.

While in IE 11:

1.  Click the tools icon (gear) in the upper right hand corner  (or tools from the menu bar)

2.  Select Compatibility view settings from the drop-down menu

3.  Add logos.com to the list of websites (mine was empty)

4.  Restart IE 11

That seemed to work for me.

Blessings,

Steve

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS