The Covenant of Life Opened, by Rutherford

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 4 2013 9:41 PM

I have the works of Rutherford via Logos, and I'm on a search. An interesting dialog on writings regarding Covenant Theology began recently in a discussion group on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/reformedfaith/permalink/545452722196534/

One of the most noted was Rutherford's 'The Covenant of Life Opened.'

I haven't been able to locate this in the Logos collection! Can anyone help please?

thanks

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 12:15 AM

Hi Jacques. I looked on both the Logos and Vyrso websites and couldn't see this work as being available for sale.

I see the text is available on certain websites. The best I can suggest is that you make a Personal Book out of the text if you'd like it in Logos. It looks like a massive work though!

It seems like the text is available here: http://reformedlayman.com/CovenantOfLifeOpened/THE%20COVENANT%20OF%20LIFE%20OPENED.htm 

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 9:51 AM

I think she's asking, how come it's not included in the Works of Rutherford.

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 9:56 AM

Yup, that's it. I'm wondering if anyone has found it in the works? I've searched for the title and found references to it, but not the actual writing. Has anyone else tried?

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 9:57 AM

PS - Jacques is French for James or Jacob.. :-)

Posts 60
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2013 11:31 AM

Yeah, you're right. It looks like it's not in the current Logos collection. I have found it on archive here, but it's possible that when the collection was first put together, the quality of the print was considered too poor to produce. I'm not sure though. I will add it to my list of books to look into and see what I can do.

Thanks so much for pointing this out.

Reformed Product Manager

Posts 581
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:13 AM

Would be great to have this. For those interested in Rutherford, he features in this amazing CP bundle.

There are a few other Rutherford books not yet available on Logos, which it would be great to have.
The Divine Right of Church Government and Excommunication is available on Google books here.

A few (including the Covenant of Life opened) are available as PDFs from SWRB (if you scroll down past all the adverts). I mention this in case it would help Logos reproducing them (if the Google version is low quality / not available). The others are:
-Influences of the Life of Grace (1659).
Their blurb: "This is the first time (to our knowledge) that this Rutherford classic has been reprinted since it first appeared almost three-and-a-half centuries ago -- and it is long overdue, as it contains many amazing insights into conversion, the depths of sanctification, and communion with Christ that you are unlikely to find in many (any?) books on this topic that have been written since."
- A Peaceable and Temperate Plea for Paul's Presbytery
- A Free Disputation Against Pretended Liberty of Conscience
- A Survey of the Survey of that Summe of Church-Discipline...

Posts 71
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:30 PM

Thanks!

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2013 1:46 AM

Christian.

Has Logos decided to add some of these works to 'The Works' of Rutherford?

Posts 60
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2013 4:00 PM

Jacques, yes. I have noted these works and will try to get them up on  logos as soon as I can. Unfortunately, there are a lot of hoops to jump through and a lot of channels to navigate before it appears on logos.com, so there is not really a set timetable. Sorry about that. But I will try to get them up sooner rather than later.

Reformed Product Manager

Posts 60
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2013 4:01 PM

I should specify that they will not be added to the current works of Rutherford (at least not initially). When they go up, they will have to go through the same community pricing process as the other works. Once they have become live on logos.com, then we can put all of them together into a larger collection. Hope that helps.

Reformed Product Manager

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2013 10:13 PM

Thanks for responding. So in the end, those who own the Works of Rutherford will have to pay more to actually have his works? Hm. Hope it happens quickly. :)

Posts 60
Christian Locatell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 1:35 PM

Yes, when the other works from Rutherford go up on community pricing, users will have the opportunity to bid on them.

Reformed Product Manager

Posts 581
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 11:01 AM

The text of the Covenant of Life opened has been trancribed here - I would imagine that would make Logos' job a lot easier.

The same site has also done his A Free Disputation Against Pretended Liberty of Conscience

Posts 581
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 4:03 PM

Christian Locatell:

Jacques, yes. I have noted these works and will try to get them up on  logos as soon as I can. Unfortunately, there are a lot of hoops to jump through and a lot of channels to navigate before it appears on logos.com, so there is not really a set timetable. Sorry about that. But I will try to get them up sooner rather than later.

Any update on this Jesse?

Posts 581
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2015 7:07 AM

The Covenant of Life Opened is now in Community Pricing, along with:

- The Divine Right of Church Government and Excommunication
- A Sermon Preached to the Honourable House of Commons at their Late Solemn Fast

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2015 9:12 AM

Are these going to be added automatically to my existing Samuel Rutherford Collection, when completed?

thanks

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2015 9:15 AM

I just saw the post above, a few responses up. So it's going to have to be purchased, and it will not be added.

Posts 581
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 3:43 AM

3 more 'Select works' of Rutherford are now available, though sadly not up to the usual Logos standard.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS