Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 59 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:11 AM

I'm bidding $50.00 on Barnes.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:50 AM

JackCaviness:
That is good, but it appears that most of the bids were for $30. Considering the size of this project, it will probably take most of the people on these forums to put it over the top. But then, I only bid $50, and that won't get it there much faster.

Jack,

Thanks BTW for your bid on the Heidelberg Commentary! I have always bid the "suggested" bid, which in this case is $90. One of the things I have noticed over the years with Community Pricing is that once a work reaches its goal, during that last week of biding a flood of bids come in and the price drops significantly. What this tells me is that there are a lot of people who are sitting of the sidelines waiting to see what is happening. It is beyond me why they don't bid earlier, but they don't. If we could just get more people to bid above the curve, in this case more than $30, perhaps some of these fence sitters will decide to jump in. There is really no danger in biding high, you are always guaranteed the loses price and if the final price is more than you want to pay, you can cancel your order. My guess is that if every one who has placed a bid on Barnes Notes would increase it to $90 the collection would cross the 100% line and a flood of new bids would come that last week and we would all end up paying something like $30. But as it is this work has been stuck for years.

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 8:01 AM

I'll take your advice Keith and bid high!!

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 1:37 PM

P. Keith Larson:
If we could just get more people to bid above the curve, in this case more than $30, perhaps some of these fence sitters will decide to jump in. There is really no danger in biding high, you are always guaranteed the loses price and if the final price is more than you want to pay, you can cancel your order. My guess is that if every one who has placed a bid on Barnes Notes would increase it to $90 the collection would cross the 100% line and a flood of new bids would come that last week and we would all end up paying something like $30. But as it is this work has been stuck for years.

Perhaps you are correct, but I already have Barnes Notes in Accordance. That has made me reluctant to bid very much for it here. However, I'll raise my bid and watch progress on this resource.

Posts 109
Darryl Burling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 2:52 PM

I've been waiting for The Heidleburg commentary, Barnes' notes and the Muller collection for ages too.  It would be nice to see these cross the line.

It is a shame that the Muller doesn't include "Answers to prayer", although I assume the content from this book is mostly covered in the other books anyway.

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 8:10 PM

I just bid on Barnes and Mueller, both - I hope it they make it!

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 6:01 PM

Great Tom! Maybe this will move it on up.

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 9:16 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

While you are at it, put in a bid on Barnes Notes! :)

Aye, I hope it, too, garners enough interest sooner rather than later. I added my bid on both Barnes and later, GM, so long ago I'd almost forgotten 'til this thread.

Debra

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 9:55 AM

Just increased my bid since my first one was moderate and I'm willing to go higher to get the item to production!

K

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 186
Robert G. Mettler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 12:10 PM

Bidding will close on 1/1/2010 for The Commentary of Zacharias Ursinus on the Heidelberg Catechism [DOWNLOAD]

The final price for this product will be lower for everyone if we receive enough new bids before the closing date, so please spread the word to anyone you know who may be interested in this. Thank you for your interest in this product!

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 6:51 AM

I wonder why the graph for Barnes hasn't moved one iota considering several here and I am sure a few more have bid? And I might say , bid high, for this product?

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 7:37 AM

Even with those who have bid one this thread it seems the graph hasn't moved a bit for Barnes Notes. ?

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 10:24 AM

Shawn,

I think the problem is people are just bidding too low. I think I recall about a year or so ago this topic came up and someone from Logos mentioned that Barnes Notes has a lot of bids, but most of them are very low. When this resource first came out the suggested bid was something like $90. My guess is if this resource is ever going to see the light of day more people are going to have to bid closer to $90 than $30.

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 3:55 PM

I upped my bid to $70.  I don't know what else to do...except take the matter to Father.Smile

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 550
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 7:15 AM

IMHO, the greatest commentators are the dead ones. Of course I love some of the present day theologians but what I like about the old commentators is that today's issues do not affect their comments. Yes, they had other issues around them but it gives one a different perpesctive.

I'm going to do all I can to push Barnes through and other great commentaries of old. 

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 7:56 AM

I know there is a problem with Barnes not making much movement, but I really don't think it is the fact that people are bidding to low, I believe there just is not enough people that are willing to pay for this source.

This source is a good solid source, but let's face the facts, almost all free bible programs has this source in them, on top of that Libronix 3 has this as a pbb, for free!  Although I have placed a bid for this a long time ago, I can completely relate with the people that say I would rather pay for a resource that I can't get for free than for one that I can.

You don't have to talk me into seeing how much nicer a Barnes Commentary would be in the normal Logos 4 section, but I have to admit, if push comes to shove, in this economy Barnes will be one of the first resources that I will drop, simply because I have free ones, and if I have to I would rather have to pay for either a copyright sources or a public domain source that I can't find for free!

As for it being too low of price, that should actually get more bids not less, and it is my practice and the practice of many to bid low on resources in order to drive the prices down, so that we can get the best deals possible, that has worked on resource after resource, but most of those resources are harder to find than a free Barnes Commentary.

For example I would much rather pay for the resource by Alford that is listed just above this resource, because it is a high quality resource that is much harder to find for free than Barnes is.  And because it is much harder to find I believe it would be useful to more people than another Barnes would be.

Don't get me wrong I have had my bid in on Barnes since the first day I saw it on this list!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 40
Brandon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:29 AM

Jim,

You have summed up my position nicely.  Why would I choose to pay for something that I already have for free in other Bible software programs and already exists as a L3 PBB (and will eventually be a L4 PBB)?  I will save my money for resources that are not yet public domain or cannot be found easily.

I do realize that the Logos tagging will be far more extensive, but I don't need to have Barnes tagged extensively.  I will simply read is as a commentary (like I do with all of my print commentaries...which are not 'tagged' Wink).

p.s. I do have a bid of $20, not to buy the resource but to try and drop the price for you all. If more people bid $20, it will drop the price for everyone so I will do my part. I bid the lowest price on resources I don't want, just to help out, and bid higher for resources I do want. I bid on every community resource.

If my logic is flawed...enlighten me Big Smile.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:59 AM

I do not think that bidding a low bid helps us out, I think bidding the lowest bid that has a good number of other bids helps us out and helps us to get a lower price.  And the high bids discourage a lot of people from bidding at all.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:00 AM

Brandon Blumberg:
If my logic is flawed...enlighten me Big Smile.

Your $20 bid will only help if Barnes Notes gets enough bids to go into production for $20. I fear you are under the mistaken impression that the final price is the average of all bids, it is not, it is the dollar amount that has enough bids to meet production costs. A person who bids $100 for example has place a bid that the $100 level and every level below, including the $20 mark.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:15 AM

I agree with P. Keith Larson, in this case, I do not think a 20.00 bid will help but another 30.00 bid might help, but like I said before, I think the Barnes Commentary has other things working against it, things like Brandon Blumberg mentions.

After all each of us only has so much money, and it is hard to spend that hard earned money when the resource was already a pbb and most likely will be again, when there are so many other resources out there that aren't pbb or regular modules.

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS