Installing Word Biblical Commentary on Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Christopher Schaefer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:42 PM

Hi,

Like a similar poster, I received the WBC in the mail today after purchasing it through the Christmas special.  To get it into Logos 4, I understand I need to install in Logos 3, sync my licenses, then try to import these into Logos 4 (not sure how to do that last part).

However, in Logos 3, there is a pop up box asking me for a serial number, but the shipped box does not appear to have one on it.  Does anyone know where to find this Serial Number?  It was not in the email from the customer service rep, nor on the invoice slip in the shipping box.

Thanks,

Chris

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:47 PM

Christopher, Check on the CD itself as well as on a sticker on the outside of the box. But it might not be there. As Dale Courtney pointed out in another thread, some of the WBC boxed products do not come with a license number on them. For these ones, you need to call Customer Service, and they will enable the license for you over the phone. Then you should be able to simply restart Logos and it will recognize that your licenses have been updated and download the files for you. You won't need to use the CDs at all. But they have to send you the CDs anyway; I think it's due to some licensing agreement with the publisher to prevent multiple people from sharing a copy of the product, or something like that...

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:48 PM

Chris

I think that you have to phone Customer Service to resolve this issue.

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:10 PM

The serial number was on a white sticker inside the plastic package of the one I just bought...I didn't install it since I realized right before I did so that I already own it... 8-O 

Posts 3
David Brett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:53 AM

Just tried to install WBC for Logos 4, since I already deleted 3 completely off the computer. But, I see that I might need to load it back in? I tried the custom install, to file only, and then started Logos 4 thinking that would do it. But it didn't. Any ideas? This really should be posted, if there are instructions. ....Thanks ahead of time.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:01 AM

David, you have a couple of options but I think the easiest and fastest is to reload 3.0 and let it ask you for the serial number. Then sync your licenses. Don't transfer the books (I am not sure they are the latest versions and if they are not you will end up downloading them anyway). When you open 4.0 it should recognize that you own WBC and start downloading the resources (give it a few minutes to get started). You can then uninstall 3.0 whenever you want.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:06 AM

...or call customer service and give them the license # from your CD and they can add it to your account.  It will then download automatically in Logos 4.  (You won't install anything off of the CD...)

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:29 AM

Tom Geswein:
call customer service

With caller wait times I think I'd go for the install, hence the recommendation as faster and easier. But there are other options.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26
Joseph Colombo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 1:57 PM

Be careful.  I discovered that with third-party software the license number comes on the shrink wrap for the CD or even on the box itself. 

Posts 54
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:10 PM

I too ordered the WBC commentary through the Christmas special and didn't receive a serial number. So I called Logos. They said a batch was shipped out without serial numbers. But they were able to quickly authorize the resource for Logos 4.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:27 PM

Joseph Colombo:
Be careful.  I discovered that with third-party software the license number comes on the shrink wrap for the CD or even on the box itself. 

I accidentally threw mine away on the IVP collection. When I couldn't find the license number, I went and dug out the shrink wrap and found that the number was on the back with a clear sticker and small characters. In other words, I totally missed it. It was probably also in part due to my excitement to get it loaded up.  The moral to this story is examine everything carefully!

Posts 90
Steve Nicholson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:44 PM

I also did not receive a serial number with my WBC. I have been forced to reinstall Logos 3 (which I had managed not to install when I did a fresh install of Logos 4 on a new notebook). Yet, even after reinstalling Logos 3 and installing the WBC and registering it and synchronising the license, etc., it does not register with Logos 4 that I now own this product. Customer service merely told be to "In the command bar type in Update Resources with your internet on." I've done this countless times now and each time it comes up saying that there are no new resources. It is so frustrating having the WBC installed on Logos 3 (which I can't wait to uninstall) but not usable on Logos 4 (which I want to use). Does anyone out there have an idea as to what I could do? I've never had trouble installing on Logos 4 before.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 3:43 AM

Steve Nicholson:

I also did not receive a serial number with my WBC. I have been forced to reinstall Logos 3 (which I had managed not to install when I did a fresh install of Logos 4 on a new notebook). Yet, even after reinstalling Logos 3 and installing the WBC and registering it and synchronising the license, etc., it does not register with Logos 4 that I now own this product. Customer service merely told be to "In the command bar type in Update Resources with your internet on." I've done this countless times now and each time it comes up saying that there are no new resources. It is so frustrating having the WBC installed on Logos 3 (which I can't wait to uninstall) but not usable on Logos 4 (which I want to use). Does anyone out there have an idea as to what I could do? I've never had trouble installing on Logos 4 before.

Do you definitely have "Use Internet" set to "Yes" inside Tools | Program Settings?  Hearing Customer Service tell you to type in "update resources" "with your internet on" could easily have been misconstrued that you merely need to be connected to the Internet, but you actually need to make sure Logos isn't set to not use it. Should be on by default, but you never know. Some people have been turning it off if they didn't want to be synching all the time.

The other command to try in the command bar is scan {Resource Path}, where {Resource Path} is the path to where your Logos 3 resources are (e.g., in Vista it's: C:\Program Files(x86)\Libronix DLS\Resources). This will scan that entire folder for unlocked resources and bring them into Logos 4. You must close Logos 4 and restart it for the command to take effect.

Posts 90
Steve Nicholson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 4:51 AM

Yes, those settings are definitely turned on. I also tried the scan resources pat idea to no avail. Logos 4 is simply not recognising that i own WBC. Surely there is an unlock and download key that Logos can supply (like with every other download order I've made) so that I can get this registered and working in Logos 4!

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:48 AM

Steve Nicholson:

Yes, those settings are definitely turned on. I also tried the scan resources pat idea to no avail. Logos 4 is simply not recognising that i own WBC. Surely there is an unlock and download key that Logos can supply (like with every other download order I've made) so that I can get this registered and working in Logos 4!

It should just work automatically. You don't have to unlock resources anymore when you download them like you used to have to in Logos 3. All you normally need to do is restart Logos 4 and it recognizes there's something new on the server that you don't have yet and downloads it for you. It's a bit more complicated when installing resources originally meant for L3, but what they told you over the phone is apparently not worknig for you. 

It looks like you're going to need to call Customer Service again in the morning, but in the meantime, one more thing which might work (this is an official solution from a Logos employee to another problem people were having with licenses, posted here):

Delete your licenses file (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos4\Data\...\LicenseManager\Licenses.dat) and force Logos to download it fresh from the server. To do the latter, start up Logos with the Ctrl key held down so that you have to log in again.

Hope that works!  If it doesn't, I'm totally stumped and you have to call Customer Service to have them fix it at their end.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS