Whats the best way to use Highlighting?

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 19 2013 9:05 PM

The title says it all, but I presently highlight all the same colour. Based on great quotes etc. However I know these are searchable.... I am not really using this feature to it's max.

How do you use highlighting?

Posts 4628
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 3:26 AM

I am not a huge user of the highlighting feature either. However this page may give you some ideas http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Highlighting_palette_for_visual_filter_markups

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 3:33 AM

Mike, I created some custom highlight styles with icons so that I can quickly see the general gist of a highlight without even reading it.  

Here's what my custom highlight palette looks like - it's still very much a work in progress!  

I use this mainly for highlighting my Bible, as opposed to other resources.

When reading commentaries, etc. I tend to use solid colours to highlight key parts of the text.  I tend to do most of my highlighting in blue, and for really key passages I want to draw attention to, I'll highlight them in red.  

Posts 139
Rich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:15 AM

Can custom highlights be renamed?

Doer of Things

Logos 7 Bronze

13" MBA 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 RAM, 512 SSD

27" iMAC 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 RAM, 1TB SATA Disk

iPad Air 2, iPhone 6

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 5:23 AM

Yes, Rich, they can:

Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 5:43 AM
Thank you for the replies. A further question. When I read a book and come across something. I highlight (cmd+k) I see that their is a huge file with all of these highlights in it. Is there a way to make a highlight file per book? Or is this redundant?
Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 5:57 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
Thank you for the replies. A further question. When I read a book and come across something. I highlight (cmd+k) I see that their is a huge file with all of these highlights in it. Is there a way to make a highlight file per book? Or is this redundant?

Yes, and that is what I do... I create one note document per resource. In L5, the behavior for where the highlight note is stored occurs at the pallet level. Right click on the pallet name to pull up the options. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 6:07 AM

alabama24:

Yes, and that is what I do... I create one note document per resource. In L5, the behavior for where the highlight note is stored occurs at the pallet level. Right click on the pallet name to pull up the options. 

I do this too.  

Here's the setting Alabama was talking about:

All my highlighting palettes are set to "Save In: most recent note file"  That way I select my user-created note file for the specific resource I'm highlighting (which is usually called the same name as the book I'm highlighting), and all my highlights are saved to that file.

(If you use the iOS app, there's a similar setting accessed from the cog-shaped button on the home screen to send all your highlights to your most recent note file too.)

Posts 72
John Crupper | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 6:56 AM

Doubtless the answer is somewhere in the forums or wikis but can you tell me or point me to info about the icons you are using? Would be very appreciative.

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:31 AM

John Crupper:

Doubtless the answer is somewhere in the forums or wikis but can you tell me or point me to info about the icons you are using? Would be very appreciative.

Paul will have to give you a more specific answer... but he added those manually. Here is the wiki article on highlighting: http://wiki.logos.com/Highlighting 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:23 AM
John, I simply used websites which allow you to download free icons to find the ones I wanted. Google image also lets you search for icons by adjusting the image size setting. Here's one example of the sites I used - http://www.iconarchive.com [The hyper linking function doesn't seem to be working right now on my iPad!]
Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:33 AM

Paul-C:
John, I simply used websites which allow you to download free icons to find the ones I wanted. Google image also lets you search for icons by adjusting the image size setting. Here's one example of the sites I used - http://www.iconarchive.com [The hyper linking function doesn't seem to be working right now on my iPad!]
Peace to you, Paul!         *smile*

I appreciate your "sharing" with us!                Thank you!                  I also appreciate some of the lovely icons you are using...

Would you consider please sharing some of these on one of the Logos FaithLife groups?  It would save an immense amount of work ...  for example, the tree OR The Family Tree - your icon for geneology and other great ideas ...              *smile*     also love you "healing" icon  ...!!!

For example ...   here's a sample of a palette that Kevin Becker shared with this group some time ago ...

https://faithlife.com/ot-quotes-in-nt/documents

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:39 AM

Hi Milford. I'd be delighted to share my highlight icons. I've never done this before. Is there a simple guide to help me to do this?

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:43 AM

Hi, Paul!                     I have to leave my study for a few hours .........     I'll ruminate on these ideas while I'm moving around this afternoon ...    Also, perhaps some others have some ideas ????                             

Blessings indeed  ........    AND     Strength for the Day to you!              *smile*

Edit:         P.S.             Thanks for being so "open" to sharing!     Indeed!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 72
John Crupper | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:58 AM

Thanks so much! One other question. Do they just get dumped in a folder used by Logos?

Again, thanks.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 10:09 AM

Hi John. I assume they would end up in some sort of default highlight specific note file, however I've elected to save all my highlights in specific note files for each book/resource. 

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 10:16 AM

I've had a stab at figuring out how to share my icon highlighting style.

I've created a new faithlife group - https://faithlife.com/logos-5-highlight-icons-styles/activity

And I've published my "Icon Highlights" file to the group via documents.logos.com

You should be able to see the file under the documents tab - https://faithlife.com/logos-5-highlight-icons-styles/documents 

If anyone is interested in sharing this file, and is having difficulties accessing it, please post in this thread and perhaps a few of us could troubleshoot the problem. 

This is all new to me! Tongue Tied

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:48 AM

Paul!                       I don't believe it!                            Absolutely incredible!                     Your very helpful and pleasant icons are NOW in my highlighter tools .............

.....  sssmmmoooootthhhhh!, eh?                        Thanks very much indeed!   Appreciated and saved me tonnes of work!    *smile*   

Peace to you!                                  ......   and .....       Always Joy in the Lord!

Edit:             Here it is!   *smile*

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:51 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Paul!                       I don't believe it!                            Absolutely incredible!                     Your very helpful and pleasant icons are NOW in my highlighter tools .............

.....  sssmmmoooootthhhhh!, eh?                        Thanks very much indeed!   Appreciated and saved me tonnes of work!    *smile*   

Peace to you!                                  ......   and .....       Always Joy in the Lord!

Thanks for letting me know Milford - glad it's worked out for you. Delighted I could share them to the glory of the Lord! 😀

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:53 AM

Yes!         Indeed!                 To the Glory of the Lord!     Yes!                    *smile*

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS