Does everyone have issues with L5 for Mac or just a select few

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 143
iamk | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 23 2013 10:41 AM

The reason I ask is because I literally have crashes and hangups every time there is an update. I have turned off updates and then 6 months or so will go by and I'll think surely it's more stable now. I re-enable auto updates and it starts crashing immediately. It was the same on L4.

Is this just a problem I'm having or are others in the same boat.

I have a macbook pro with an i7, 7gbs or ram, and running Mavericks.

I tried removing the app and reinstalling, but I'm still getting the spinning beach ball and the program becomes unresponsive.

This is not a rant. I'm trying to get some perspective.

Posts 492
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 10:57 AM

Logos 5 is by far the most unstable application I run on a Mac environment. I have the gamut of applications from backend business software, productivity tools, technical engineering tools, creative content tools etc. I have a very powerful hardware platform. On a purely technical basis regarding stability, bugs and performance it is dead last.

Still use it though, because of the resources and value it brings. There is no alternative for what it is good at. It's just too bad the quality control and the way they address features/releases are not what in software engineering disciplines are considered best practices.

Posts 35
Chad Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 11:22 AM

Regrettably, I have had countless issues with Logos 5 on Mac. I have been a loyal Logos user for nearly a decade and have invested probably close to $10k total in resources...so I plan to remain loyal to the company. But Logos needs to put a lot more work into the Mac version of the software, or I fear for my investment.

I can never close the software without forcing the program to quit through activity monitor, which means I have do force it to quite individually everytime I shut down the computer. It now freezes up almost daily and I am continually getting the spinning wheel.

I am running a Macbook pro, Mid 2012 edition on OS X 10.9. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.  

Posts 1475
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 11:40 AM

I haven't had any issues on my Air or iMac (both a few years old)... but I rarely use many of the more complex tools, and I have a medium/small library, no package. Just stuff I've acquired in the last 10 years. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 331
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 1:58 PM

I am running Logos without any problems on my MacBook Pro 2008. I have Silver plus some more resources collected over the years. Updating is always working out fine.  Downloading new resources and indexing smooth. Not the fastest specs anymore, it just works fine. 

Luuk

Posts 5292
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 2:13 PM

I have a  MacBook Pro (Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1), Intel Core i7: 2.3 GHz: SSD: 8 GB RAM, MacOS X 10.9

I am using the current stable release. 5 for me has been far more stable than 4 ever was... Logos 4 felt to me like it was always a late Alpha, or early Beta. And I think that 5 is getting better and better, most of the time it quits well (4 almost always require a force quit). I am having a few unexpected quits but i can not say what is causing them and often on restart it does't even know it has happened. I rarely ever have the rainbow pizza, although the few times it has happened to me it has almost always been followed by an unexpected quit. I will not say I am having NO issues but most days my use of Logos has few issues. I should note my daily study usually doesn't include extensive word study with Logos. I can't say if my usage or the fact i have an SSD makes a difference the relative stability I have. I always advise people to run Disk Utility, since permission issues or file structure issues can cause all sorts of troubles.

-Dan

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 2:24 PM

I've been running Logos for about 2.5 years and have never had any significant issues with either Logos 4 or 5 on my former MBP mid-2009, or my current MBA mid-2013. I should disclose that I'm certainly not a "power user"! 

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 5:36 PM

We've been running Logos software going back to the old Logos Library System in Windows and now Logos 5 on several Macs.  No problems here whatsoever. That is not to say that some folks are not having problems as has been indicated.

However, I wonder if some of the problems that folks have could be hardware related? Macs are generally good machines but they are certainly not immune to crashes. We just lost a hard drive on a 2011 iMac 21.5" machine, one that was not used very much. Thank goodness for Apple care.

In Christ, Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 10739
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 5:57 PM

Dan Francis:
I am using the current stable release. 5 for me has been far more stable than 4 ever was... Logos 4 felt to me like it was always a late Alpha, or early Beta. And I think that 5 is getting better and better, most of the time it quits well (4 almost always require a force quit). I am having a few unexpected quits but i can not say what is causing them and often on restart it does't even know it has happened. I rarely ever have the rainbow pizza, although the few times it has happened to me it has almost always been followed by an unexpected quit. I will not say I am having NO issues but most days my use of Logos has few issues

Up to this point your post pretty well reflects my experience with L5. I am running Logos on an early 2013 iMac with an i7 processor, 26GB RAM, and a 3TB Fusion drive.

Dan Francis:
I always advise people to run Disk Utility, since permission issues or file structure issues can cause all sorts of troubles.

Seems this has been true since the introduction of OS X. Permissions Repair should be a regular PM measure—Quite often I forget my own advice Geeked

For those having issues, your best course of action would be to file a bug report with logs on a regular basis. While I don't do for this every crash, I do report about 90% of my problem issues. The more logs we submit, the more information development will have to find the source of these problems.

Posts 322
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 23 2013 7:24 PM

It is unstable on my 2010 MacBook Pro. Going to 8 GB of memory helped some. My fan will rev if I leave Logos on. I typically have to reboot the computer after using Logos. I have enough problems with it that I have not been able to become a power user, although I keep trying to use it more.

Logos crashed this afternoon, exactly like some of the descriptions of others on this forum. I have said nothing since the problems were being addressed by the programmers.

Apparently some people use Logos with no problem whatsoever, but that is definitely not my experience. I just upgraded to a new MacBook Pro Retina with SSD. Hopefully that will help. I am installing everything tonight. My fingers are crossed. Logos is a big reason I upgraded.

Posts 521
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 2:24 AM

I also have had numerous "incidents" with L5. The most annoying by far is the fact that I cannot leave it on and unattended for long because if I do it will go into a eternal sync cycle and I have to force quit L5. This happens regularly (sometimes daily). I have a reasonably new MBP with 8 gig of ram and I am not a "power user" either. I have actively tried to determine what causes it to go into this sync cycle but to no avail.

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Latest Update

Surface Pro 6

MacBook Air (2017) Catalina

Ipad Air 2 (ios 8.2.1)

Motorola G6 Play (android 8.3.1)

Posts 10739
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:34 AM

Bob Deacon:
I cannot leave it on and unattended for long because if I do it will go into a eternal sync cycle and I have to force quit L5

In my previous post, I neglected to mention that I do not leave Logos running when I will not be using it for an extended period of time. This may be a contributing factor to its relative stability on my machine. Not sure if it is still the case, but L4/5 has had memory leak problems in the past.

Posts 902
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 4:38 AM

I have just switched from Windows to Mac and am very disappointed with the lack of stability of L5. It often crashes every 15 mins. If you go through this forum, you will see that quite a few people experience crashes. Many logs have been posted in the various threads which hopefully helps Logos track down the issues.

Armin

Posts 10
Rwanda Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 6:15 AM

This is a helpful thread, as I've had problems for quite some time.  It seems like there is a common problem, especially for users with larger libraries.  Just curious, has anyone tried using Logos in a Windows environment on a Mac using Parallels? 

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 11:13 AM

It's slow, even on brand-new PCIe flash storage, but I rarely experience any major problems with Logos on my iMac.

Posts 339
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 12:06 PM

No issues with L5 on a Macbook Pro and iMac.

Posts 5292
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 12:14 PM

Jack Caviness:
I neglected to mention that I do not leave Logos running when I will not be using it for an extended period of time. This may be a contributing factor to its relative stability on my machine. Not sure if it is still the case, but L4/5 has had memory leak problems in the past.

Same here.. occasionally it is on for several hours but usually as soon as I am done I quit.

-Dan

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 12:27 PM

Dan Francis:

Same here.. occasionally it is on for several hours but usually as soon as I am done I quit.

-Dan

Same here. This is what I do too.

Posts 322
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 1:54 PM

Paul-C:

Dan Francis:

-Dan

Same here. This is what I do too.

That's what I do as well. I do wonder if it is related to the size of the library. I have it to have a large library, however that slows down indexing and updating. I, too, wonder if the large library also plays a role in the instability. I advise people who ask me about purchasing Logos to keep their library small, based on my experience.

Posts 65
C.J. Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 2:33 PM

I have a Feb 2013 Macbook Pro with 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM and a 500GB SSD running Mavericks and Logos 5 crashes all the time, it is really unstable, I have it installed on my work PC too and it doesn't crash.

Clint Scott   Author | Humble Majesty   www.humblemajesty.com
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS