Does everyone have issues with L5 for Mac or just a select few

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 10552
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 3:39 PM

Phil Mills:
I advise people who ask me about purchasing Logos to keep their library small, based on my experience.

However, that is not my experience. With a little over 7k resources, my Logos installation is reasonably stable.

Posts 10552
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 3:40 PM

Clint Scott:

I have a Feb 2013 Macbook Pro with 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM and a 500GB SSD running Mavericks and Logos 5 crashes all the time, it is really unstable.

Have you submitted logs following your crashes?

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 5:18 PM

I have a brand new MacBook Pro Retina Display with 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM and 1TB SSD. My library has about 11,300 resources. Since installing it on this laptop, I don't remember a day when it did not crash. It tends to crash within less than 30 mins of usage. 

On my 3.5 year old Windows laptop, I had not problems at all. 

Armin

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 24 2013 5:58 PM

Phil Mills:
I have it to have a large library, however that slows down indexing and updating. I, too, wonder if the large library also plays a role in the instability.

My library is over 5500 books, I am not sure if that is labeled large or average or small... but like i said my use is relatively stable.

-Dan

Posts 63
C.J. Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 12:37 AM

Thanks for the response Jack,

Whenever it asks me if I want to let Logos or Apple know I always say yes. I'm not sure this has anything to do with a larger library I have 5300+ resources... which will continue to grow over the years

Clint Scott   Author | Humble Majesty   www.humblemajesty.com
Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 1:14 AM

Phil I am just about to upgrade to the same machine. Will wait until I hear how you got on.

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 1:37 AM

Hi Iamk

I have just under 2400 resources and am a Beta user (it is important to know which of the responses came from beta users and which from stable installations).

I expect Logos to crash occasionally because of the 'testing' nature of the program that I am using. It does - occasionally.

Only once or twice in the last few years have I had to revert to using the 'stable' installation that I keep on my laptop. All other problems have been fixed either with a restart or a quick call to customer services (rare).

There is a problem though with the Logos mindset. They seem surprised that a computer hasn't been restarted for a couple of months!

My laptop, (MacBook Air), for instance, hasn't been restarted since the last upgrade to the operating system.

Mac users, generally expect their kit to sleep and wake without restarts and memory leaks (which are cumulative) therefor cause problems. I find it useful to quit and restart Logos everyday firstly to update the prayer list and secondly to put it back to a new state in the machine.

Posts 63
C.J. Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 2:32 AM

Thanks Mike, that is really useful, I agree, have recently been working on a big edit in Premiere and After Effects and need to restart at least once every two days... makes a lot of sense. Big Smile

Clint Scott   Author | Humble Majesty   www.humblemajesty.com
Posts 173
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 3:05 AM

I have an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro/4GB Memory running OSX 10.9 (Mavericks).

Generally, Logos 5 is running good, and I love it.  It was running slow once,  but I had it re-index my library and that helped it quite a bit.  The only bug that I see is that occasionally,   I have to force quit to end the program. 

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 5:23 AM

I'm on my second MBP using Logos:

1. Early 2009 17' / 2.93 GHz CPU / 8 GB ram / 500 GB HD upgraded to 500 GB SSD:

No issues with L5, except PRIOR to MAVERICKS I would get an 
    occasional (2-3 times per month) episode where L5 would max out my CPU causing my fans to run at full power, requiring a application shut down and restart to correct. Significant increase in performance after upgrading to SSD.

2. Late 2013 rMBP 15" / 2.6-3.8 GHz CPU / 16 GB ram / 1 TB flash storage:

No issues. Significant increase in performance over previous MBP (with SSD upgrade). Migrated using Time Machine.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 5:39 AM

Thanks, Otto, that answers my question. These were the specs I had opted for, so I can now upgrade with confidence.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 5:50 AM

James Milne Smith:

Thanks, Otto, that answers my question. These were the specs I had opted for, so I can now upgrade with confidence.

Awesome, James!

Please be advised that I used Time Machine to migrate from my previous unit. I've read elsewhere that some are having issues doing a Clean Install of Logos 5 with Mavericks. I personally never intended to do a clean install on my new machine since I was happy with the overall performance of my previous one, but just aware that others are having issues...

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 5:55 AM

Noted, Otto. Thanks for the advice, I'll do as you suggest.

Posts 989
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 6:21 AM

I have had a number of issues.

I would say that version 5 fixed things for the most part but there are a few times I've noticed it crash. Recently it's been claiming it crashed when I start it up but it appears to have quit normally..? I've posted logs in another thread.

I emailed Bob about Logos for Mac stability a couple of months ago and was quite impressed with his response. It does sound like it is a priority for them and it is clearly something they are working on. I would suggest that the fastest route to a more stable logos for mac is via reporting all the bugs so they can get squished!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 8:26 AM

Jack Caviness:

Phil Mills:
I advise people who ask me about purchasing Logos to keep their library small, based on my experience.

However, that is not my experience. With a little over 7k resources, my Logos installation is reasonably stable.

That has NOT been my experience either. I have 9904 resources in my library, and there has been no degradation in performance or stability in L4/L5 as my library grew.

Posts 10552
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 12:01 PM

John Goodman:
I would suggest that the fastest route to a more stable logos for mac is via reporting all the bugs so they can get squished!

That is the very best procedure we Mac users (the few. the proud*) can follow.

*Or was that some other elite group? Big Smile (USMC)

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 2:51 PM

My configuration is shown below.  I have L4 Platinum and upgraded to L5 Platinum, as well as NICOT/NICNT, WBC, and a number of other resources I've purchased.  I recently moved from PC to Mac, and was somewhat nervous about Logos on the Mac.  I haven't had any issues at all, and do leave Logos running all day when I'm at my desk.  I do tend to shut the application down when I'm not using it, because sit does use significant resources at times so I shut it down to manage overall performance.  

I do use the software heavily and use a lot of the functionality, but have not yet experienced any issues.  

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 3:35 PM

I just recently made "the move" from PC to Mac. I wanted a device powerful enough to run L5, but portable enough to sit easily on my lap or take here and there. Well, thanks to the generosity of a number of people, hello MacBook Pro! I have a 13in late 2013 model, with 8 gb of RAM and a 256 gb hard drive. No issues at all in running L5. The only thing I've noticed is that it takes L5 longer to start up on my Mac than it did on my Windows PC, and the Mac has slightly better specs. 

Posts 10
Rwanda Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 10:09 AM

I had some other problems with my Macbook Pro, so called Apple a few days ago.  Before calling, I had significant issues with Logos, as well (unable to close the application, slowing down my other applications, etc.).  The Apple tech had me do the following:

1. Reset the PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)

2. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964)

3. Verify and Repair disk permissions (Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility --> Select Macintosh HD --> Verify Disk Permissions --> After verification is complete, Repair Disk Permissions)

Since doing these things, I haven't had ANY problems with Logos - runs smoothly, opens and closes without forcing it to quit, and doesn't make a mess of my computer's CPU.  Of course, this was all "coincidental," as I had asked the tech about a different problem, and it fixed the problem with Logos, as well, at least for now.

Posts 313
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2013 3:27 PM

James Milne Smith:

Phil I am just about to upgrade to the same machine. Will wait until I hear how you got on.

I was unable to migrate from my 17 inch MacBook Pro. I tried many different ways to attempt to do this without success. At first I thought it was a problem with the new machine, but Apple told me it is a known problem with Mavericks. It was recommended that I do fresh installs program by program. To be honest that sounded very daunting since I have 500 GB of programs and documents. The more I thought about it, the more doable it seemed, however, since I only use a few programs with any frequency. I also thought that fresh installs may be superior to migration installs as it will remove possible "legacy" code and clean up all the preference files. I am also taking pains to avoid programs that install system modifications.

The second program I downloaded and installed was Logos. I was expecting this to take several days with downloading and indexing. I was happily surprised that it took only several hours to download. Indexing was also MUCH faster than I expected. I have loaded it, done a sample search, but no real work yet. There are still some sluggish spots, but overall, it feels so much faster than my older system that it almost feels snappy. I haven't really put Logos through its paces (in fact I don't know how to put it through its paces), but for the rather modest things I use it for it should do well.

So far my experience has been painless. My first impression is positive. Maybe my years of Logos instability will be solved and I can join the group of Logos users that seem surprised that others have difficulties. (On my older machine I have had two crashes this afternoon with 10 minutes of use).

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS