Plagarism checker

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1588
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2013 5:58 AM

Re: busy profs.

I had a prof who would assign us a 5 page paper on a complex topic.  If we went over 5 pages, he drew a line at 5 pages with the comment "Good start - no conclusion".  This was actually good for life in the church, since how many would want to read a 10 page essay on a topic in the average parish?  It also kept their grading responsibilities in check.  And I can't imagine a school where the essays are not read - at least by a TA...

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 2276
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2013 6:05 AM

I have to add my 2 cents also:

I am an adjunct instructor at a community college and one time I had a student properly cite the resource they were using.  But the only problem was their entire paper, except for the opening and closing paragraphs were word-for-word copied and pasted from the article they were using.  I guess it's not technically plagarism since they properly cited the article.  So, I consulted my supervisor (I had only been teaching for a short while) on what to do.  I gave them a low grade and explained why.  What shocked me was that they did it again---they received a failing grade.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2013 11:05 AM

Tom Reynolds:

abondservant,

I find your story very disturbing. Bible colleges/Seminaries are selling you an education based on either their professors' reputation (e.g. they have written a lot of quality books) or based on the professor's ability to teach you what you need to know (e.g. boasting of small class sizes). In either case this professor and this school has let the students down. Thankfully I've gone to schools where the professor (or TA) had to write a significant amount of feedback on papers in order to help the students improve. If you are at a school that doesn't expect that of professors then I think there is a serious problem. Unfortunately schools often attract students based on their professors' reputations which means they are too busy to offer much feedback themselves. There is also little attention given to their personal life and ethics/morals, as in this case. Sad, sad, sad. Perhaps one day we will again focus on Christ rather than the ABCs of church (Attendance, Buildings, Cash).

It is and should be disturbing. By the time of this incident I was already in my senior year, other professors were ethical and now that I am attending a different school on the graduate level I feel as though I had been prepared academically for what I am now doing - though I have yet to take any missions classes... So we shall see. I did not pursue my graduate level degrees at that institution. The dean of students was active in making sure we were both involved in a local church that took responsibility for our morality, but also active in ministry as well. We had monthly reports to write, and neglecting a report resulted in community service hours through habitat for humanity (as well as making up the missing report for ministry already done).

I am now in my second year at SEBTS and loving it, working towards three degrees, an Ma, M.Div, and ThM. My experience with SEBTS has been dramatically different, and far more positive.

Ken McGuire:

Re: busy profs.

I had a prof who would assign us a 5 page paper on a complex topic.  If we went over 5 pages, he drew a line at 5 pages with the comment "Good start - no conclusion".  This was actually good for life in the church, since how many would want to read a 10 page essay on a topic in the average parish?  It also kept their grading responsibilities in check.  And I can't imagine a school where the essays are not read - at least by a TA...

SDG

Ken McGuire

Its a small enough school that other than one prof no one had a Ta. The prof that did have a Ta taught classes everyone was required to take (rhetoric of science1&2, theology 1-4, philosophy, and some classes RE C.S. Lewis). On a big year we had around 300 students. The professor in my story for the semester in question had 5 classes he was teaching. The freshman class (introduction to missions) had aprox 50 students. The other 4 upper level classes had between 4 & 10 students. The class I was in (sr level theology of missions), had only 4. Beyond financial support of his local church; and extensive (tens of thousands of dollars monthly) support to indigenous missionaries - to my understanding he was not involved in ministry. Teaching future pastors and ministries is a form of ministry i believe - however I think the Lord will hold anyone accountable that is so derelict & negligent with their ministry. So I don't buy the "too busy" excuse Zip it!. Too busy? spend a few dollars on a Ta, or teach fewer classes. He required we submit hand written papers for certain things on the syllabus. If I am not too busy to research and write 25 pages - by hand - on my own personal theology of worship, then he should be willing to read it, or ask us to do less. I certainly would have put a lot less into these papers, if I knew they were graded capriciously by a recalcitrant Fuller Theological Seminary graduate, who wasn't even willing to fulfill the most properly basic aspects of his role. All in all I had 8 classes with the man - 24 credits.

I asked for a refund of the near 20k I paid to take those classes; but was declined.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS