Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5468
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 1:13 AM

Dave Hooton:

Mike Binks:
Any suggestion that Beta users should be prepared for crashes so their is no urgency should be squashed.

Can't agree with this because beta testing is inherently risky and is never regarded with the same urgency as a production system; particularly when there is no schedule!

I take your point Dave but if Logos wants people to stick with the beta programme then it should go that extra mile to support them.

Surely the Beta forum is of some value to the developers? If so that value should be reflected in efforts to keep them using the beta in times of pressure.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 5:13 AM

Mike Binks:

I take your point Dave but if Logos wants people to stick with the beta programme then it should go that extra mile to support them.

Surely the Beta forum is of some value to the developers? If so that value should be reflected in efforts to keep them using the beta in times of pressure.

I think the point is this:

Beta users need to expect crashes and unusable systems at times. It isn't intended for those who just want to be first to have the newest features... It needs to be those who are willing to get their hands, er, Logos installation dirty. If you ONLY have one computer, and need it for work, beta testing isn't your best choice. 

With that said, where else do you have this kind of interaction with logos support and the devs other than in THIS forum? The best support from Logos employees (in the forums) DOES happen right here! 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Mike Binks:

We do support beta users, but it's only through the forums, and it's not 24 hour support with a guaranteed response time.

In the past, we've shipped a new beta within a day or two if there has been a critical bug. We'll try to find workarounds to get you through until the next beta ships, if we can. But the point is: it may be a couple of days, or even a week until the next beta ships and fixes your bug. That has to be an understood risk of beta testing (on the tester's part).

If you have ever:

• Posted about a crash that's affecting your study, and then uninstalled the beta because you didn't hear back from us within a couple of hours, or
  • Posted a bug report at 11pm Bellingham time, then "bumped" it at 6am Bellingham time the next morning, or
  • Used the word "urgent" in a beta forum post

then we're just letting you know that Beta 1 might not be for you this time around. Smile

We want the beta to have a high degree of stability so people can use it for real study and report the bugs they encounter while doing so. However, it's not as highly tested as a stable release, so showstopper bugs can (and do) slip through. So we strongly recommend having a stable installation (on a separate computer or user account) that you can use if the beta isn't working for you, while you wait a few days for the next beta to fix the problem.

Posts 5468
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 1:09 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
We want the beta to have a high degree of stability so people can use it for real study and report the bugs they encounter while doing so. However, it's not as highly tested as a stable release, so showstopper bugs can (and do) slip through. So we strongly recommend having a stable installation (on a separate computer or user account) that you can use if the beta isn't working for you, while you wait a few days for the next beta to fix the problem.

All accepted and understood Bradley.

It's Friday so I am looking forward to the new beta issue regime.  Big Smile

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:09 AM

Is it safe to presume this new beta will be held (not released) until the New Year?

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 8:04 PM

DominicM:

Is it safe to presume this new beta will be held (not released) until the New Year?

No!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 8:34 PM

Dave Hooton:

DominicM:

No!

LOL! I'm starting to see how Dave racked up so many posts. Stick out tongue Wink

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:56 PM

BillS:

LOL! I'm starting to see how Dave racked up so many posts. Stick out tongue Wink

How?

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 3:51 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
We'll also be making some changes to how Cited By saves its settings, to fix memory problems reported

While improving Cited by, perhaps you can give attention to the real show-stoppers with this crippled feature BUG: Cited By panel really doesn't scale 

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 9:16 AM

alabama24:

BillS:

How?

One word replies.... See? My 3 word reply took 3 times as long... and afterward I had to write an explanatory sentence that's now turning into a paragraph... I'll never get there. Wink

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 9:17 AM

alabama24:

BillS:

How?

And I just realized that you broke the code in your 1-word answer. Nicely done!!!!! Yes

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 10:09 AM

BillS:
And I just realized that you broke the code in your 1-word answer. Nicely done!!!!! Yes

If I would have explained any more, I would not have shown mastery. Big Smile

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 2:21 PM

alabama24:

I thought I'd let you explain itBig Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 2:44 PM

Dave Hooton:

alabama24:

However, I DID get two posts in the interchange... no, wait; this one makes 3. Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 3:03 PM

Dave Hooton:

alabama24:

Yep.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 6:16 PM

Here beta beta beta....here beta beta beta.  Come on Logos, I'm ready to get bit by the Beta. Let him off the leash already!

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 6:18 PM

Halo Hound:

Here beta beta beta....here beta beta beta.  Come on Logos, I'm ready to get bit by the Beta. Let him off the leash already!

Yeah, it's been three weeks since the "sometime next week" announcement. What is happening? Did you guys decide to add another feature into Beta 1 after all?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:59 PM

Halo Hound:

+1 Yes looking forward to next Beta; albeit can readily appreciate underlying code changes being challenging.  Especially hoping for Mono improvements so sleep on OS X becomes a non-issue.

Also hoping for indexer to be a bit more reliable.  In the registry, noticed HKCU for Logos 5 has Verbum logging settings.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 8:06 PM

Rosie Perera:
Yeah, it's been three weeks since the "sometime next week" announcement. What is happening? Did you guys decide to add another feature into Beta 1 after all?

It's mostly that one big feature that we keep finding just "one more showstopper" in. We do our best to eliminate known crashers that come up in the course of smoke testing before shipping a beta.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 8:25 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Halo Hound:

Did someone say beta carotene?  Smile

Tom Philpot (Logos):

Rosie Perera:

It's mostly that one big feature that we keep finding just "one more showstopper" in. We do our best to eliminate known crashers that come up in the course of smoke testing before shipping a beta.

Good! I'm glad you're doing such thorough smoke testing. We'd rather you guys find the crashing bugs than us having to stumble upon them.

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS