Overwhelming....

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2
Jeremy Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 28 2013 4:45 PM

In short...

• Laptop just died
  • I used laptop for Bible Study only
  • Had PC Study Bible 4 or 5... Cannot remember.
  • Decide to get something new for my Mac....
  • Logos seems to win for what I want...
  • Totally lost with what to purchase..

Okay so those are the points. This is my problem. I cannot find a detail on what happens if I purchase the silver and want to later upgrade to the portfolio or a similar scenario.

I don't want to start out to light but I also want to watch my pocketbook. I have never really jumped into the original languages but it seems interesting and I would like to.

About me...
I have an associates in Biblical Studies, a BS in Communications/Pubic Relations and a degree in Design. Youth pastor for 3-4 years, worked in church prior to that for well over a decade. I am 30. Currently not in the ministry but am working on a start-up .org.

Would like to eventually have my Masters in Theology or Biblical Studies / Ministry.

Recommendations? 

And thanks! New here!

Posts 9673
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 28 2013 5:19 PM

Welcome to the forums Jeremy. Glad you are considering Logos and I'm confident that you will be able to find something that fits you.

According to your description one of the Logos packages should suit you well. You just need to decide which one suits you best. Generally the higher level of package the better deal it is but of course that is only true if you are going to use them. I encourage people like yourself to get the largest package you can afford. It is also easy to upgrade in the future and Logos often provides special sales for upgrades.

Those are my initial thoughts. Hope they help.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 28 2013 5:20 PM

Jeremy Jones:

In short...

• Laptop just died
  • I used laptop for Bible Study only
  • Had PC Study Bible 4 or 5... Cannot remember.
  • Decide to get something new for my Mac....
  • Logos seems to win for what I want...
  • Totally lost with what to purchase..

Okay so those are the points. This is my problem. I cannot find a detail on what happens if I purchase the silver and want to later upgrade to the portfolio or a similar scenario.

I don't want to start out to light but I also want to watch my pocketbook. I have never really jumped into the original languages but it seems interesting and I would like to.

About me...
I have an associates in Biblical Studies, a BS in Communications/Pubic Relations and a degree in Design. Youth pastor for 3-4 years, worked in church prior to that for well over a decade. I am 30. Currently not in the ministry but am working on a start-up .org.

Would like to eventually have my Masters in Theology or Biblical Studies / Ministry.

Recommendations? 

And thanks! New here!

Hi Jeremy,

I always say to buy what you are going to use.  For an example, I purchased the OL package when I was in seminary, and then I added the resources that I would use.  I paid more $$$ for book, but I have paid less $$$ overall to get where I am with my library.

When it comes to Logos, you will not buy the same book twice (in theory anyways).  If you purchase the silver package, you will be given credit for it when/if you want to upgrade to the portfolio package.  

Posts 27252
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 28 2013 5:41 PM

Jeremy Jones:
I cannot find a detail on what happens if I purchase the silver and want to later upgrade to the portfolio or a similar scenario.

This wiki article has links to Logos articles that explain the policy. Basically, you will only pay for the (new) books and datasets that you don't already own.

With Silver you will miss out on the Bible Sense Lexicon, which could be useful for bible word study. If the resources/price for Gold are not attractive then you can purchase the Logos 5 Minimal Crossgrade for a few dollars extra because of the resources/datasets you (will) have in Silver, OR you can wait to purchase Portfolio.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2
Jeremy Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 28 2013 5:59 PM

Thanks for all of the information! I just went ahead and got the Platinum package... figured why not. It was alluring... I will upgrade to the portfolio eventually... :-)

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 28 2013 6:25 PM

Jeremy Jones:

Thanks for all of the information! I just went ahead and got the Platinum package... figured why not. It was alluring... I will upgrade to the portfolio eventually... :-)

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Peace, Jeremy!                      Wow!                                 Now, you have quite a learning curve ahead of you!

Please visit here in these forums; and we'll give you encouragement and a boost now and again if you so desire it!       *smile*

There are an incredible number of videos available also; so, let us know; and we'll point you to them, eh???   

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 28 2013 6:37 PM

Congrats on taking the plunge!

Once you get it installed, all the resources downloaded, and indexing is completed (this is needed once at the beginning in order to make Logos's super-fast searches work, and then future resource purchases will only require an incremental addition to your index which is pretty quick).

A couple of ideas for where to get started on the learning curve:

Explore the Logos wiki (a user-edited online website of info about how to use Logos), particularly:

Getting Started with Logos

Logos 5 Video Tutorials

Mark Barnes has done a particularly excellent series of tutorial videos that will guide you through learning some of the most important features:

http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/

(Unfortunately I can't seem to access it today, but I'll drop him a note and see what's up with the site. It's totally worth checking back for it to see when it's back up and running.)

Also, I echo Milford's advice to interact here on the forums. Ask questions whenever you're stumped, or if you just want inspiration on how to get the most out of your Logos library.

Posts 31
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 11:33 AM

Below is a blog from a fellow Logos user with some of his recommendations. I've found it to be a pretty comprehensive overview of helpful resources to cover most needs.

http://nicksteffen.wordpress.com/logos-recommendations/

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 1:04 PM

Rosie Perera:
(Unfortunately I can't seem to access it today, but I'll drop him a note and see what's up with the site. It's totally worth checking back for it to see when it's back up and running.)

It's back up now :-).

Posts 9673
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 4:49 PM

Mark Barnes:

Great news Mark. Thank you on behalf of all who have benefited from them and will benefit from them in the future!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 1 2013 7:40 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Mark Barnes:

Great news Mark. Thank you on behalf of all who have benefited from them and will benefit from them in the future!

YesYes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS