Large Text search for New Dictionary of Theology

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 29 2013 7:10 PM

The New Dictionary of Theology is available either as a separate resource or part of IVP's Essential Reference Collection Version 3.

When I try to search for an entry heading such as Easter or Eschatology, using Large Text in Basic search mode, I get no result.  Sure, I can find the words with Surface Text, but that is not the issue here.  When using the Large Text option, I do get results when I enter the alphabetical letters A, B, C, D, E, etc... see screenshot below.

This resource supports Large Text, but it needs to be re-formatted correctly so that Large Text means the dictionary entry words, and not the "large" alphabet letters (LOL).  My version of this resource is shown:

Edit: can someone verify this search anomaly?

thanks,

David

Posts 1665
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 7:31 PM

David Bailey:
The New Dictionary of Theology is available either as a separate resource or part of IVP's Essential Reference Collection Version 3.

When I try to search for an entry heading such as Easter or Eschatology, using Large Text in Basic search mode, I get no result. ...

Yes: I also get zero hits when searching for Large Text for articles that appear in this dictionary.

If you open the Table of Contents pane, you can type into the text box at the head of the resource to jump to an article, so the Large Text index does exist and it works. The problem appears to be with Search not finding these articles.

Hopefully Logos will address this anomaly. What I usually do is to search "Heading Text; Large Text" in my collection of dictionaries in English. Consequently, I never find anything in this resource, but hadn't realized that it might actually be useful.

It shouldn't be a difficult problem for Logos to address now that you have identified it.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 7:42 PM

Allen Browne:

Yes: I also get zero hits when searching for Large Text for articles that appear in this dictionary.

If you open the Table of Contents pane, you can type into the text box at the head of the resource to jump to an article

Thanks, Allen, for checking the search behavior in this resource.

David

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 8:16 PM

David Bailey:

Confirmed Large Text search in New Dictionary of Theology finds nothing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 8:45 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Confirmed Large Text search in New Dictionary of Theology finds nothing.

Thank you KS4J for also verifying.

David

Posts 651
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2013 12:45 PM

Assume this is related: New Dictionary of Theology doesn't show up in 'Topic Guide' searches either. I've searched for things that it definitely has articles on, and my other dictionaries (including other ones from the same IVP set) are listed with their articles but not NDT.

Posts 4030
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2013 3:12 PM

Stephen Steele:

Assume this is related: New Dictionary of Theology doesn't show up in 'Topic Guide' searches either. I've searched for things that it definitely has articles on, and my other dictionaries (including other ones from the same IVP set) are listed with their articles but not NDT.

That may be because its not very highly prioritized in your library.
Open your library view, find the title, then on the upper right hand side it says "Browse Prioritize". Click on prioritize and Drag the title into the prioritize panel (if it isn't there already). That should improve its ranking.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2013 4:31 PM

Stephen Steele:
Assume this is related: New Dictionary of Theology doesn't show up in 'Topic Guide' searches either.

At the moment the Topic Guide only covers Bible dictionaries, not theological dictionaries. That's apparently going to change, but there's no hint as to when that might happen.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS