L4.0a CBV Concatenates multiple verses

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired UM Clergy | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:13 AM

Just tried a CBV request on "Rom 3:23, 6:23" with the "Bible Text Only" setting. CBV concatenates the verses thusly:

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

A CBV request for "Isa 9:2-7; Tit 2:11-14" (from tomorrow lectionary reading) concatenates the verses thusly:

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined. You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil. For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian. For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this. For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

With the other options, that include chapter and verse headings, this doesn't seem to be a problem. But, we ought to be able to breakup multiple texts, even in the Bible Text Only mode (JMHO). It's just a bit more work than should be necessary to look through the text to see where the breaking points are.

Dale

P.S. Didn't have this problem in L3 because we could strip off the book chapter and verse data, and force a CRLF between texts. We need that restored to this setting also -- thanks

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Coming to you from Henryetta Oklahoma (45 miles south of Tulsa, and 85 miles east of OKC)

Posts 13412
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:33 AM

You can edit each of the verse formats, or create your own. Click on the menu in CBV, and choose Edit this style:

The documentation isn't very good, but the style you want is this:

%NoCharFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
<p>
=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]
=Footer
</p>

If you want even more of a gap between the paragraphs, then use this:

%NoCharFormatting
%NoRedLetter
%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
<p></p><p>
=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]
=Footer
</p>

Posts 46

Mark Barnes:

<p>
=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]
</p>

If you want even more of a gap between the paragraphs, then use this:

<p></p><p>
=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]
</p>

Thanks Mark -- I found no documentation in the program, I clicked "EDIT" and when the dialog box opened I clicked "HELP" at the bottom of the box, but it was not helpful at all. However, by hacking away at other format options I did find the "<p>" entry and got it to work.

Adjusting your first offering above to fit what's listed in "Bible Text Only" produces a very nice CR at the end of the verses. That certainly helps.

However, your second suggestion only repeated the CR insertion. I found that to get a CRLF I need something like this -- where there is a full beginning and ending code *AFTER* the =ForEachVerse entry.

<p></p>
=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]
<p></p>

Again, IMHO, this code should be included in the default setting for Bible Text Only -- the user shouldn't have to edit format box to separate the text. However, at least (as you've pointed out) have the option of editing the CBV formats.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas

Dale 

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Coming to you from Henryetta Oklahoma (45 miles south of Tulsa, and 85 miles east of OKC)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS