Best All-Around Logos Commentary Set?

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 71
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 2 2013 4:30 AM

What, in your opinion, is the best all-around Logos commentary set currently available?

Posts 1982
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 4:32 AM
I would say NICOT/NT.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8951
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 4:36 AM

This would be my conclusion too. Interestingly enough, even though I have thought this for some time I have not been able to afford it until this past weekend when I purchased it from another forum user at win-win price. Thanks Elnwood!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 4:41 AM

I agree on NICOT/NICNT

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 5:44 AM

Joseph Turner:
I would say NICOT/NT.
I agree Yes

Posts 477
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 5:57 AM

I agree

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 5:59 AM

For me it has to be the Expositor's Bible Commentary. 

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 6:25 AM
For me there is no such thing as the best all around commentary. Each commentary has a specific goal that they want to achieve. I think it's better to ask "what is the best commentary in each category?" For example, I divide mine up into "Language Commentaries", "Exegetical Commentaries", and "Application Commentaries". So, for me, the best in language category would be "WBC" or "Hermeneia". In the Exegetical category it's NICNT/OT, NAC, or College Press. For the Application category it's NIV Application, Wright's For Everyone, or Tyndale. If you wanted one set that tries to do everything (Language, Exegetical, and Application) I would suggest the NIV Application, but when you try to do everything you do nothing great (Just my own thoughts). To my mind it's like being a jack of all trades, you're a master at none.
Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 6:29 AM

If I could own just one commentary set, I'd like to hang on to NICOT/NT.

Posts 520
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 7:37 AM

I would say that the best value all-round commentary available from Logos would have to be the Expositor's Bible Commentary. A Revised edition is also available on Logos at a higher price and which I have no experience of. The NIVAC series is excellent and definitely worth a look: it contains serious exegesis as well as application. WBC and NICOT/NICNT are good in-depth series but too technical to be considerad in an 'all round' category.

The best series for you really depends on your biblical/theological training and the purpose the commentaries would be used for e.g. some commentary series assume knowledge of the biblical languages and some don't, some commentaries are so technical that they may not be helpful to the time and energy limited pastor who is expected to crank out three sermons a week or the individual simply looking for devotional reflections on a text.

A great feature of Logos is that you can try resources for up to 30 days and return them if you wish.

Lord bless and happy hunting!

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 7:56 AM

I agree with James.   'Best all around'  for me would be the IVP Background Series (eg quick all around answer), and then an in-depth commentary depending on the question.  I've had lots of 'all arounders' ... don't use them and refunded several.  Instead I head for JPS or Continental for the Penteteuch, AYB for the rest of the OT,  WBC for the NT, and Hermeneia for the Fathers/apocrypha.

Posts 71
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:08 AM

I appreciate all the input.  I plan on making a significant expansion to my Logos library before the end of the year (surplus of professional expense allowance), and was initially thinking of upgrading my base package.  I then thought of adding a significant commentary set instead, since I use them the most of all the resources types in Logos.

I do have a little training in Hebrew, and much more training in Greek.  As many pastors however, I haven't used it significantly since I received my master's degree nearly 30 years ago.  I also have a doctorate degree, but it is more leadership oriented rather than academic.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:10 AM

Paul-C:

If I could own just one commentary set, I'd like to hang on to NICOT/NT.

I've refused to buy NICOT/NT.  In my opinion there is no one best commentary (as others have stated), but NICOT/NT isn't in the running in any category.  I have ICC, AYB, Hermeneia, Continental, JPS, WBC, NIGTC, Cambridge and some of the classic volumes such as Swete on Revelation.  A commentary is actually the LAST place I go when studying a passage.  I don't need no stinkin' NICOT/NT.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:16 AM

Joseph Turner:
I would say NICOT/NT.

Yes

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 8951
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:22 AM

George Somsel:
A commentary is actually the LAST place I go when studying a passage. 

I agree that a commentary should be the last place you go after a thorough study on your own. Certainly it is tempting to go there first but I don't think this is the best way.

George Somsel:
I don't need no stinkin' NICOT/NT.

Wow, that is harsh.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8951
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:28 AM

David R. Bess:
I do have a little training in Hebrew, and much more training in Greek.  As many pastors however, I haven't used it significantly since I received my master's degree nearly 30 years ago.

I was in a similar situation with medium Greek skills and very rusty Hebrew skills which I had originally gained in Bible College and Seminary over 30 years ago. Logos has helped me recover to regain what I had lost and gain new ground. Now I read my Greek NT through each year and I'm growing in my Hebrew skills. I would encourage you to make the investment of time and be encouraged at how quickly the skills might return for you.

Posts 71
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:37 AM

Sounds like based on this approach I'd be better served by a base upgrade than a single commentary upgrade.  I would like to get back into the Greek again, and possibly even the Hebrew.  (I always loved Greek but never really "took" to Hebrew.)

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:46 AM

George Somsel:
I've refused to buy NICOT/NT.  In my opinion there is no one best commentary (as others have stated), but NICOT/NT isn't in the running in any category

Hey George,

I don't own this set, but I was wondering how you reached this conclusion? Just curious. Cheers.

ChelseaFC

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 9:08 AM

Like a few others of you, I cringe a bit whenever I hear someone ask about the best commentary set.  As others have pointed out, in order to answer this at all, you have to ask "for what".  They vary on their intended audience, among other things.  In addition, I was taught to use commentaries AFTER I had done my exegetical work...  And as time goes by, I have grown to value good encyclopediae/lexica as a first "go to" on things, since those articles can show me how concepts fit in with the rest of scripture and the biblical world...

With regards to the NIC, the only volume I have really used is Fee's 1 Cor volume.  It is pretty good, but tries to be too many things, IMHO.  That said, it is worth consulting...

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 9:18 AM

ChelseaFC:

George Somsel:
I've refused to buy NICOT/NT.  In my opinion there is no one best commentary (as others have stated), but NICOT/NT isn't in the running in any category

Hey George,

I don't own this set, but I was wondering how you reached this conclusion? Just curious. Cheers.

ChelseaFC

This is a series which has much old scholarship.  Some of the contributors are reasonably good while others are not so good.  The saying is that you are judged by the company you keep.  In this instance one of the contributors was one of my professors in seminary, and I can state without fear of contradiction that he was committed to an old theological view of the text without regard for evidence to the contrary.

I neglected to mention that I also have FOTL which is quite good (edited by my mentor in graduate school).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS