Doctors of the Church collections - additional churches added & original corrected

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 3 2013 4:59 PM

Yes, this collection does illustrate the problem of anthologies - it's all or nothing rather than just the requested authors but ...

author:=("Albert the Great", "de Liguori, Alphonsus",  Ambrose, "Anselm of Canterbury", "Anthony of Padua", Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", Bede, "Bernard of Clairvaux", Bonaventure, "Catherine of Siena", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Francis de Sales", "Gregory the Great", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Hilary of Poitiers", "Isidore of Seville", Jerome, "Chrysostom, John", "John Damascene", "John of the Cross", "Lawrence of Brindisi", "Leo the Great", "Canisius, Peter", "Chrysologus, Peter", "Damian, Peter", "Bellarmine, Robert", "Teresa of Avila", "Therese of Lisieux", "Thomas Aquinas") ANDNOT author:(Scrivener, "G. Jerome Albrecht", "Jerome F. D. Creach", "Jerome H. Neyrey", "Jerome Quinn", "Jerome H. Smith")

modified as per Rosie's suggestion

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2013 5:24 PM

MJ,

Does your rule capture all the Church Doctors that are available in Logos?  Is there a list of them that I can use to create my own collection?

David

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2013 5:39 PM

Yes, it is designed to work for everyone although it may pick up ANDNOT does not exclude.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2013 5:44 PM

Great collection idea. Thanks!

Unfortunately, this rule also picks up any books by authors with first or middle name Jerome or Ambrose, of which there are a few in my Library. Adding ANDNOT author:Scrivener to the end of the rule excludes all the books by Frederick Henry Ambrose Scrivener. And one would also have to either manually exclude books by all the following authors, or and ANDNOT clauses for all of their authors: ANDNOT author:("G. Jerome Albrecht", "Jerome F. D. Creach", "Jerome H. Neyrey", "Jerome Quinn", "Jerome H. Smith"). I'm guessing that's what the ANDNOT series:("Anchor Yale Bible", "The People's Bible") clause was intended for, but it was indirect and incomplete. Best (IMHO) to exclude what you actually want excluded and for the reasons you want it excluded, not things that incidentally will happen to exclude what you want excluded. This is so that other people can understand the logic behind the rule later when reading it, though it might make the rule a bit longer.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:02 AM

Removed ANDNOT from collection rule, but needed to add a subject for two resources whose author is Jerome:

Author:("Albert the Great", "de Liguori, Alphonsus",  "Ambrose of Milan", "Anselm of Canterbury", "Anthony of Padua", Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", Bede, "Bernard of Clairvaux", Bonaventure, "Catherine of Siena", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Francis de Sales", "Gregory the Great", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Hilary of Poitiers", "Isidore of Seville", "Saint Jerome", "John Chrysostom", "John Damascene", "John of the Cross", "Lawrence of Brindisi", "Leo the Great", "Canisius, Peter", "Chrysologus, Peter", "Damian, Peter", "Bellarmine, Robert", "Teresa of Avila", "Therese of Lisieux", "Thomas Aquinas") OR Subject:"Jerome, Saint"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:25 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Removed ANDNOT from collection rule, but needed to add a subject for two resources whose author is Jerome:

Both Rosie and I require the ANDNOT clause - Rosie more so than I given the size of her library.Smile. My only resources with a subject of "Jerome, Saint" are his selected letters which were picked up by author. Out of curiosity what in your library required this clause?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:59 AM

MJ. Smith:
My only resources with a subject of "Jerome, Saint" are his selected letters which were picked up by author. Out of curiosity what in your library required this clause?

Changed rule to (avoids false positive Jerome author):

Author:("Albert the Great", "de Liguori, Alphonsus", "Ambrose of Milan", "Anselm of Canterbury", "Anthony of Padua", Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", Bede, "Bernard of Clairvaux", Bonaventure, "Catherine of Siena", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Francis de Sales", "Gregory the Great", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Hilary of Poitiers", "Isidore of Seville", "Saint Jerome", "John Chrysostom", "John Damascene", "John of the Cross", "Lawrence of Brindisi", "Leo the Great", "Canisius, Peter", "Chrysologus, Peter", "Damian, Peter", "Bellarmine, Robert", "Teresa of Avila", "Therese of Lisieux", "Thomas Aquinas") OR Title:Jerome

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 2:16 AM

Except for those of us who have the New Jerome Bible CommentarySmile

The truth of the matter is that it is just as simple to drag resources into the excluded resource box as to get a collection statement that will work for everyone (except of course their own PB's can modify the situation). However, if Logos would like to gift me with copies of everything so that I can perfect collections, I'll gladly tryBig Smile

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 7:58 AM

Ok, I generated a basic search of the Verbum resource called Saints, using All Text and the search string in quotes "Doctor".  See the attached spreadsheet.

David7802.Basic_Search_for_Doctor.xls

Now here's an idea for Logos:  Since the software can output search results in XML, data container and identification framework, I envision one single search tool in Logos that does all searches for Logos/Verbum. Perform a search as I did for the Doctors of the Catholic Church, generate XML search results, and drag and drop the XML results into the Collection tool.  The Collection tool adds the resources found in the search results, or, maybe generates the rules?  Just a thought.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 8:15 AM

You can improve it slightly by putting double quotes around all the authors, even those that only have one name. That tells Logos to only look for whole words, so "Bede" (with the quotes) wouldn't find Bedell, G. T..

In theory, you could also change it to something like: author:jerome ANDNOT author:"*, jerome", to exclude those who have a surname, but that's not been optimised, and its horribly slow.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 9:04 AM

Thanks for sharing this collection.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:05 PM

David Bailey:
See the attached spreadsheet.

Thank you - you made me realize that I'd missed those added last year. You have one extraneous entry Edith Stein (Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross)

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:46 PM

You'll need to arrange your own exclusions for extraneous items but:

Doctors (Teachers of the Faith) of the Anglican Church

author:=(Ambrose,"Anselm of Canterbury", Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", "Bernard of Clairvaux", Bonaventure, "Catherine of Siena", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Francis de Sales", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa", "Gregory the Great", "Hooker, Richard", Irenaeus, Jerome, "Chrysostom, John", "John Damascene", "John of the Cross","Leo the Great", Macrina, "Maurice, Frederick Denison", "Sergei of Radonezh", "Sundar Singh of India", "Taylor, Jeremy","Temple, William", "Teresa of Avila","Thomas Aquinas", "Westcott, Brooke Foss", "William of Ockham")

-------------------------

Doctors (Notables) of the Eastern Orthodox Church

author:=("Basil of Caesarea", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Chrysostom, John", "Nicodemus the Hagiorite", "Palamas, Gregory", "Photios I of Constantinople", "Symeon the New Theologian")

Doctors (Vardapet) of the Armenian Church

author:=(Athanasius, "Basil of Caesarea", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem",  "David the philosopher", "Dionysius the Areopagite", "Eliseus the historiographer", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Epiphanius of Salamis", "Gregory of Narek", "Gregory Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa","Hierotheus the Thesmothete",  "Chrysostom, John", Mesrob, "Moses of Chorene",  "Nerses III the builder", "Nerses of Lambron", "Sylvester I")

Doctors of the Assyrian Church of the East

author:=(Eliseus, "Diodore of Tarsus", "Theodore of Mopsuestia", Nestorius)

Doctors of the Chaldean Catholic Church

author:=("Alexander of Jerusalem",  Athanasius, "Basil of Caesarea",  "Cyril of Alexandria", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Eustathius of Antioch", "Fravitta of Constantinople", "Gregory Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa", "Isaac of Armenia", "Isaac of Ninevah", "Jacob of Nisibis", "Jacob of Serugh", "Chrysostom, John",  Maruthas, Meletius, Polycarp)

Doctors of the Latin Catholic Church: official

author:=("Albert the Great", "de Liguori, Alphonsus",  Ambrose, "Anselm of Canterbury", "Anthony of Padua", Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", "Bede", "Bernard of Clairvaux", Bonaventure, "Catherine of Siena", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Francis de Sales", "Gregory the Great", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Hilary of Poitiers", "Hildegard of Bingen", "Isidore of Seville", Jerome, "Chrysostom, John", "John Damascene", "John of Ávila", "John of the Cross", "Lawrence of Brindisi", "Leo the Great", "Canisius, Peter", "Chrysologus, Peter", "Damian, Peter", "Bellarmine, Robert", "Teresa of Avila", "Therese of Lisieux", "Thomas Aquinas")

Doctors of the Latin Catholic Church: supplemental

author:=("Fulgentius of Cartagena", "Ildephonsus of Toledo", "Leander of Seville", "Maximus the Confessor")

Doctors of the Syro Malabar Catholic Church

author:=("Ambrose",  Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Epiphanius of Salamis", "Gregory the Great", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa", "Isaac the Elder", "Jerome", "Chrysostom, John", "John Damascene", "Leo the Great")

In doing this I found a BIG BUG in Logos/Verbum ... I don't have resources by all the authors to verify that the name I used matches what Logos is or will use.Crying

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2013 3:48 PM

MJ. Smith:
"Gregory of Nazianzus"

In my library he shows up as Gregory Nazianzen. Inconsistent, but for now, that's how it is.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5322
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 7 2013 12:35 AM

Thanks MJ,  I've personalised by adding ANDNOT type:bible  to the end of each rule as I like to exclude bibles from these sort of collections. I guess I could leave that off and then exclude bibles as a type when using the collection for a search....

EDIT: I've changed my personalised exclusion to : -mytag:(nosearch,bible)

nosearch is a tag I use for certain resources to exclude them from collections e.g. vyrso fiction.  I have both protestant and catholic editions of ECF and use the nosearch on the catholic edition so I don't get duplicate hits in searchs.  I like to keep both active though in case links are keyed to the catholic version in certain resources.  Classification of the catholic version is simply due to it not including the front matter.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 7 2013 2:54 AM

Wow!                     Very thorough indeed!            *smile*                       I also have both editions ....                                         Psalm 29:11

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 7 2013 6:14 AM

MJ. Smith:

Doctors (Teachers of the Faith) of the Anglican Church

author:=(Ambrose,"Anselm of Canterbury", Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", "Bernard of Clairvaux", Bonaventure, "Catherine of Siena", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Francis de Sales", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa", "Gregory the Great", "Hooker, Richard", Irenaeus, Jerome, "Chrysostom, John", "John Damascene", "John of the Cross","Leo the Great", Macrina, "Maurice, Frederick Denison", "Sergei of Radonezh", "Sundar Singh of India", "Taylor, Jeremy","Temple, William", "Teresa of Avila","Thomas Aquinas", "Westcott, Brooke Foss", "William of Ockham")

Changed Ambrose to "Ambrose of Milan" , Athanasius to "Athanasius of Alexandria" , "Chrysostom, John" to "John Chrysostom" , "Gregory of Nazianzus" to "Gregory Nazianzen" and Irenaeus to "Irenaeus of Lyons"

Learned Author:Jerome includes Perseus resource EPISTULAE. SELECTIONS (LATIN)

MJ. Smith:

Doctors (Notables) of the Eastern Orthodox Church

author:=("Basil of Caesarea", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Chrysostom, John", "Nicodemus the Hagiorite", "Palamas, Gregory", "Photios I of Constantinople", "Symeon the New Theologian")

Changed "Chrysostom, John" to "John Chrysostom" and "Gregory of Nazianzus" to "Gregory Nazianzen"

MJ. Smith:

Doctors (Vardapet) of the Armenian Church

author:=(Athanasius, "Basil of Caesarea", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem",  "David the philosopher", "Dionysius the Areopagite", "Eliseus the historiographer", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Epiphanius of Salamis", "Gregory of Narek", "Gregory Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa","Hierotheus the Thesmothete",  "Chrysostom, John", Mesrob, "Moses of Chorene",  "Nerses III the builder", "Nerses of Lambron", "Sylvester I")

Changed Athanasius to "Athanasius of Alexandria" , "Chrysostom, John" to "John Chrysostom" and "Gregory of Nazianzus" to "Gregory Nazianzen"

Noticed "Dionysius the Areopagite" matches "Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite"

MJ. Smith:

Doctors of the Assyrian Church of the East

author:=(Eliseus, "Diodore of Tarsus", "Theodore of Mopsuestia", Nestorius)

Crying nothing matched.

MJ. Smith:

Doctors of the Chaldean Catholic Church

author:=("Alexander of Jerusalem",  Athanasius, "Basil of Caesarea",  "Cyril of Alexandria", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Eustathius of Antioch", "Fravitta of Constantinople", "Gregory Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa", "Isaac of Armenia", "Isaac of Ninevah", "Jacob of Nisibis", "Jacob of Serugh", "Chrysostom, John",  Maruthas, Meletius, Polycarp)

Changed Athanasius to "Athanasius of Alexandria" , "Chrysostom, John" to "John Chrysostom" , "Gregory of Nazianzus" to "Gregory Nazianzen" and Polycarp to "Polycarp of Smyrna"

MJ. Smith:

Doctors of the Latin Catholic Church: official

author:=("Albert the Great", "de Liguori, Alphonsus",  Ambrose, "Anselm of Canterbury", "Anthony of Padua", Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", "Bede", "Bernard of Clairvaux", Bonaventure, "Catherine of Siena", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Francis de Sales", "Gregory the Great", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Hilary of Poitiers", "Hildegard of Bingen", "Isidore of Seville", Jerome, "Chrysostom, John", "John Damascene", "John of Ávila", "John of the Cross", "Lawrence of Brindisi", "Leo the Great", "Canisius, Peter", "Chrysologus, Peter", "Damian, Peter", "Bellarmine, Robert", "Teresa of Avila", "Therese of Lisieux", "Thomas Aquinas")

Changed Ambrose to "Ambrose of Milan" , Athanasius to "Athanasius of Alexandria" , "Chrysostom, John" to "John Chrysostom" and "Gregory of Nazianzus" to "Gregory Nazianzen"

MJ. Smith:

Doctors of the Latin Catholic Church: supplemental

author:=("Fulgentius of Cartagena", "Ildephonsus of Toledo", "Leander of Seville", "Maximus the Confessor")

Crying nothing matched.

MJ. Smith:

Doctors of the Syro Malabar Catholic Church

author:=("Ambrose",  Athanasius, "Augustine of Hippo", "Basil of Caesarea", "Cyril of Alexandria", "Cyril of Jerusalem", "Ephrem the Syrian", "Epiphanius of Salamis", "Gregory the Great", "Gregory of Nazianzus", "Gregory of Nyssa", "Isaac the Elder", "Jerome", "Chrysostom, John", "John Damascene", "Leo the Great")

Changed "Ambrose" to "Ambrose of Milan" , Athanasius to "Athanasius of Alexandria" , "Gregory of Nazianzus" to "Gregory Nazianzen" and "Chrysostom, John" to "John Chrysostom"

Faithlife group Logos Collections => https://faithlife.com/logos-collections/documents now has nine "Doctors of ..." collections that members and followers can duplicate.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 7 2013 11:53 AM

Thank you, Dear Brother, for all your Labours of Love for this Logos Forum Community of your Brothers and Sisters!            You are much appreciated by myself!            Indeed!

May the Peace and Joy of the Risen Christ constantly pervade your Life and your Eternity!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS