Why Isn't This Easier - WBC Add On

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2779
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 23 2009 3:31 PM

Like many I took advantage of the WBC deal. I did it late because I didn't have the funds until the end of the sale. So now I am going to be getting a CD in the mail, likely while Logos is off.  I have totally abandoned v. 3 so now I have v. 4 which is supposed to be this great new syncing licenses and everything. To be honest there is not really good reason that this shouldn't be an automated process where I just buy it and it works. Much smaller companies have this kind of thing set up already.  I guess as Logos is growing and getting better our expectations become greater and little annoying things like this really disappoint me.

Don't worry. No one has to explain it or fix me. I know what the problem is. Just wish this kind of issue was settled before 4.0 was shipped. This is another evidence of how this update was not really fully baked and being an early adopter has bitten me in a minor way. Not a big deal but enough of a deal that I expected it to be simple and it is not.

Just so you know, here is how I would expect this kind of transaction to take place.

I go to Logos web site and purchase my add on book.  They clear my credit card and then with the new syncing features in v. 4, I would be able to within a reason amount of time - I intentionally waited 24 hours - open up the software and it would show up with an update. It seemed to happen just that simply with some of the add ons in this process of beta testing. Why not process my order and have it automatically added in their computer to my license?

I know there will be lots of speculation as to why it doesn't work this way. But I'm just saying...

Posts 2046
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 3:38 PM

Kevin

It is also frustrating for me.  I purchased TJL 12 and Bibliotheca 1-90.  In moving it to L3 and then to L4 my computer crashes several times...I have to go through indexing...the process is taking a very long and frustrating time.  I just went through indexing 8 hours last night for the update.  The process needs to be streamlined and I am sure Logos already knows it is a major issue.

Now the indexing is finished and the resource are not in L4!  I scanned L3 for the resources, had the L3 library in sync...now have to leave and come back to it later...

Posts 10744
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:00 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Don't worry. No one has to explain it or fix me.

Would that even be possible? Big Smile

Posts 11188
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 7:09 AM
I can't believe you deleted your L3. Having been a VP for a large corporation and seen our suppliers either get merged or go out of business so many times, I don't get anything from Logos that can't be loaded on my PC WITHOUT an internet checkoff (i.e. will continue to run if Logos goes away). The only exception I make is MS or Apple or software that doesn't matter. And so, all my LOGOS purchases now are CD-based (i.e. L3). As Bob always recommends, 'plan appropriately'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9274
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 7:15 AM

DeniseBarnhart:
I can't believe you deleted your L3.

Don't worry. Kevin is a pretty saavy guy when it comes to computers and Bible software. If he deleted 3.0 he knew what was involved.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2046
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 7:35 AM

DeniseBarnhart:

Due to L4 issues installing the new theological libraries, I was force to open L3.  I never use it anymore.  But when I opened L3, wow, did I enjoy the ease of use...the issues of indexing and problems with installing L3 products on L4....the crashes that result...all have been frustrating.  In L3 I am in control and I know what is going on.    But it brought to mind and reminder several things:

1.  L4 is really a beta product

2.  L3 is supported today because L4 is a beta product.  It clearly will be phased out.  If this were not true, then Logos would continue to sell base packages in L3 (as well as L4)

3.  L3 at the moment is stable (just slow in searches and the Library organization is bad...as well as slow for me in adding to favorites).  This program is great, just needed a few  tweaking....if L3 is planned to be supported for years, I would expect that L3 would still be tweaked.  But we cant expect that if L3 base packages are no longer being sold by Logos.

4.  At the moment I am sticking to L4.  But It may be that L3 ends up where I eventually drift.  We are told to stick it out 6 months.  I will stick it out longer than that.  But if Logos has embraced the eternal beta (as was suggested to Bob P), then L3 will in the end, be my program of choice.

Posts 2779
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 1:57 PM

Mark A. Smith:

DeniseBarnhart:

Don't worry. Kevin is a pretty saavy guy when it comes to computers and Bible software. If he deleted 3.0 he knew what was involved.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. What I actually did was reformat my PC and not install v.3 this time around (about a few weeks ago) since I was not using it at all.  I have learned to live w/o the missing features. I do my sentence diagramming in Word now so until they get it going in v.4 I will do that, which is how I started doing it when I first learned the skill.

So, yeah, I'm fine. But now I will have to either ...

1. Call Logos and give them a serial number that they have sent me in the mail so I can download WBC from them.

OR

2. Reinstall v. 3 to make WBC work in v. 4.

That is a little less than ideal and is again proof that Logos has dropped the ball a little with this upgrade. Again, I should not have to wait for a serial number to come in the mail to install a product that I will probably never even put the disc in the drive to get it to work in a "upgraded" product.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 2:28 PM

MarkSwaim:
Due to L4 issues installing the new theological libraries, I was force to open L3.  I never use it anymore.  But when I opened L3, wow, did I enjoy the ease of use

Just proves how different we all are. I reinstalled L3 to look at the vocabulary lists and see if that would suffice for my word frequency request. I was appalled at how non-intuitive and crowded it was. There were no tabs or floating panels. I couldn't break it apart and put things on different desktops or monitors. Nothing was where it should have been and I remembered why I switched to the Mac product as soon as it first came out. I couldn't wait to get back to my L4 so I could function.

Have I had issues with L4, you bet. But the added ability to get work done quickly and efficiently in L4 has sooooo been worth it (Now if the Mac version would just catch up!)

BTW, I am not saying you (or anyone else) should share my view, nor am I saying your experiences are invalid.

Posts 5
Paul Simester | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 7:54 AM

Hi everyone, and especially to Kevin who started this thread.

I also took advantage of the WBC offer, but I have to admit I'm stuck on how to get it added to my L4 library.

I've tried the following:

1) Installing as per the instructions (which are for L3 and I still have it).  Unfortunately L3 thinks it's locked because it's asking for a serial number that's supposed to be on the CD case but isn't.

2) I've tried putting the CD into the D drive and using the 'scan D:\' command.  I found this on one of the FAQ pages, but it neglected to mention that it needed L4 to be restarted (that's on a separate page about commands!).  Even once restarted L4 appears not to take any notice of the WBC disc.

3) I've tried putting WBC into the L4 Resources folder and deleting the Library Index folder.  L4 re-indexes but still refuses to 'see' WBC.

I see from another FAQ that I could phone Logos and get WBC added to my licences.  For one thing I would have thought that, having bought WBC from Logos, it should already be in my list of licences.  Furthermore I live in the UK, so phoning Logos is not a great option for me.

I've emailed Logos for clarification but merely got an automated response saying they are very busy with enquiries following the release of L4 and, if my request is not dealt with elsewhere, would I please email again.

Anyone got any ideas?  Please???

Paul

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 7:57 AM

the Serial # should be on the back of the DVD case, at the bottom left (white box directly to far left of the UPC barcode).

enter that serial # into Logos 3, sync your licenses & you should be fine. i got my copy on Saturday & that's what i did & it worked just fine.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 5
Paul Simester | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 8:09 AM

Many thanks for the prompt response.

Unfortunately the white strip on the back of my case, bottom left opposite the barcode, is blank!

I've also searched my invoice and even examined the plastic wrapper that the disc came in, but no serial number.

Paul

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 8:12 AM

You'll be stuck until you can get hold of Customer Support in that case...

Posts 1965
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 3:28 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. We're aware of the problem and apologize for not having a better solution in place yet. We're working with all third-party publishers to make their content available via download. To steer people in the right direction, we've added warning text on all product pages indicating that CD-ROM purchases require LDLS 3.

Until we have a better solution in place, here are your options:

1. If available, choose the download option instead of the CD-ROM option for add-on product purchases.
  2. If you choose the CD-ROM option and don't have LDLS 3 already installed, you'll need to install it from the disk and then activate the product with the serial number included on the disk (if you don't have a serial number, this is a mistake; you'll need to contact Customer Service at 800-875-6467 or at support@logos.com).
  3. If you choose the CD-ROM option and don't want to install LDLS 3, you can contact Customer Service at 800-875-6467 or at support@logos.com with your serial number and have them activate the product for you.

Thanks for your patience as we work to improve this process.

Posts 1965
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 3:39 PM

RevdPaulSimester:
I also took advantage of the WBC offer, but I have to admit I'm stuck on how to get it added to my L4 library.

There was problem with some of the WBC product that we receive from Thomas Nelson. Several were missing serial numbers. I thought this problem had been corrected. I'm looking into it right now to make sure it gets resolved ASAP.

Send me an email at phil@logos.com, and I'll make sure you're given a serial number right away. We'll take care of activating it for you as well so Logos 4 will automatically find it.

Posts 5
Paul Simester | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 4:07 PM

Thank you, Phil.  Email will be on its way to you shortly.

Paul

Posts 29
Matt Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 4:50 PM

Paul,

You can call the 0871 number listed top right on the Logo.com homepage. It'll still cost 10p a minute.

The staff were very helpful when I bought the WBC in L3 but didn't want it shipped as I had the media only disc already.

This same issue was addressed in suggestions recently. With shipping costs it is quite an issue for us international buyers.

Posts 5
Paul Simester | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 3:23 AM

Hi Matt,

Red face here - I must admit I'd completely missed the UK number!

Paul

Posts 26
Jason Fletcher | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 4:55 AM

Thanks, I too bought the WBC and IVP over the weekend thinking that I could just call up first thing Monday morning and get them activated for download.  Now I'm waiting for the USPS to deliver my CD's.  It does seem a bit 90's to have to wait for the physical product when I'm going to have to download the files into 4.0 anyway.

On the upside I guess I get to develop patience this week.  Not upset, just a little disappointed.

Posts 2779
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 10:34 AM

I finally got mine installed and working. These little niggling annoyances added up so I'm hoping Logos can get them straightened out.

Posts 44
Johnny Sewell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 5:48 PM

Kevin,

I too purchased WBC on December 23.  It shipped UPS instead of USPS and now will not be delivered until Jan 4.  I leave for 2 weeks on Jan 3.  Oh well.

What did you do to make the install work finally?

Johnny

Johnny

MacBook Pro | iMac | OS X Mountain Lion | iPad | iPhone 4s |Logos Bible Software 5.0a SR-4 (5.0.1.0291) Gold |

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS