Funniest typo I have seen thus far!

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 9 2013 6:24 PM

I have reported this typo to Logos but I could not resist posting it here! No offence intended..

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 6:32 PM

Made me smile. If it was in the print document then I doubt that Logos will change it.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 6:36 PM

According to Google Books, it is not. To be honest, that would be caught by most print editors.

http://books.google.ca/books?ei=o32mUs7dE8ngrQH6kIDoCQ&id=lXAlAQAAIAAJ&dq=lincoln+ephesians&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=%22from+the+second+half+of%22 

Lynden Williams:

Made me smile. If it was in the print document then I doubt that Logos will change it.

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 6:39 PM

Geo Philips:

I have reported this typo to Logos but I could not resist posting it here! No offence intended..

And all this time, I thought Jesus was a Honda guy...

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 6:43 PM

Why? Because his disciples were in one Accord? Smile

I hope they fix serious typos, whether Logos or Vyrso editions.

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 6:44 PM

Lee:
his disciples were in one Accord

Nailed it.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 7:17 PM

Notice the author of the volume is Lincoln!

Posts 512
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 8:33 PM

For the record I found it in TableTalk Magazine as well:

I've reported it.

Posts 27551
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 8:40 PM

David P. Moore:
For the record I found it in TableTalk Magazine as well:

TableTalk could have received the bad copy from Logos... OR... the publisher could have updated their copy.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:04 PM

I found it in several other places: The Assurance of Faith by Louis Berkhof, and a couple of Spurgeon's Sermons. Have reported all. Whenever I find a typo of this nature (wrong word substituted, obvious scanning/OCR error), I do a complete search in my library for other occurrences and often come up with several more.

For the record, that is not the funniest typo I've ever seen. This one comes up frequently, as a typo for "fact", "far", "art", "part", and so forth. They appear to have fixed most of the occurrences I'd reported in the past, but I just found a few more today.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:39 PM

Logos should correct these typos ASAP.Yes

Posts 27551
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2013 9:52 PM
Lee:

I fully agree IF they aren't in the original. Logos should NEVER change what was in the original, unless corrected by the publisher/author.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 2:25 AM

alabama24:
Lee:

I fully agree IF they aren't in the original. Logos should NEVER change what was in the original, unless corrected by the publisher/author.

I think they should correct them even if they are in the original. The human eye will read over errors in printed copies, but the Logos search engine will miss picking up a valid search hit (or report false positives). Some people may be really looking for what an author wrote about "modern" times, there was a serious discussion (including papal bulls) about modernism etc. And research into this shouldn't be put at risk due to an OCR reading "modem" in these cases.

For publishers, a printed edition usually is a "fire and forget" situation. Unless they provide an "errata" sheet (which would mean they have a number of serious errors, not just misspellings), they won't ever touch it until the next edition.

To avoid "tampering" with the original, something like a correction overlay (like a visual filter) would be best - keeping the old, users can turn it on/off - and it could be made to accept proposed corrections from the crowd. Now they only need to tell the index to give the search results...

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 273
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:04 AM

For what it's worth there are lots of surfers in some of my books (most of them Catholic, who would have guessed?).

"I wish to surfer, because Thou, O Lord, hast suffered; do Thou in every way fulfil Thy will in me, and may it never be the pleasure of Thy Majesty that a gift of so high a price as that of Thy love, be given to people who serve Thee only because of the sweetness they find thereby."

Posts 85
Armwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:19 AM
Rosie LOL,LOL with tears rolling down my face.

Armwood

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 3:55 AM

Haha.

I do wish that the Logos architecture could change in a way so as to enable seamless book updates to fix small changes such as this (without restarting and so on.) I feel they wait for a scheduled software release to fix typos since otherwise people would be steamed having to restart Logos for every typo fix.

Posts 21867
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 4:03 AM

Geo Philips:
I feel they wait for a scheduled software release to fix typos since otherwise people would be steamed having to restart Logos for every typo fix.

I haven't seen any real relationship between software releases and minor updates (sometimes major releases do require significant updates to core resources but that's a separate issue). Often resource updates are shipped outside of any software release.

You are right that incorporating these updates does require a restart

Posts 10522
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 4:44 AM

Rosie Perera:
For the record, that is not the funniest typo I've ever seen. This one comes up frequently, as a typo for "fact", "far", "art", "part", and so forth. They appear to have fixed most of the occurrences I'd reported in the past, but I just found a few more today.

Knew what was coming when I saw this part, but the quoted text still cracked me up. (Having spent 20+ years in the US Navy may have given me a different perspective on crude language than some others in these forums have Geeked)

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 4:47 AM

Rosie Perera:

(wrong word substituted, obvious scanning/OCR error)

Logos has said that resources are double typed, not scanned. But that doesn't seem to fit with the number of this type of error that we see.

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 5:35 AM

Jonathan Pitts:
Logos has said that resources are double typed, not scanned.

Can someone explain exactly what "double typed" means?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS