View Your Libary Utility - Has anyone gotten it to work?

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 689
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 13 2013 6:56 AM

I don't remember who posted the link, as it was some time back, but I have followed the instructions carefully and cannot get it to work. When I upload my catalog.db file, it just goes to an error page (connection was reset).

Anyone have luck with this?

http://www.4-14.org.uk/logos/logos4-bibliographic-report

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 7:05 AM

Am sure Mark Barnes will respond in due time, it's his server/tool..
Yes I had it working under Logos 4, haven't tried in v5

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 689
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 7:24 AM

Yes, I figured out it was from Mark Barnes after I posted.

Is there any more helpful person than Mark on these forums? I think not! Geeked

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 146
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 7:47 AM

Hi Jerry,

Are you trying to get a list of all your library resources?

I believe you can do the same by creating a All Resources Collection. It will show it in table format and you can add or hide columns of information. Then create a Bibliography under Documents and then from the Add pull down menu add the All resources Collections and you will have a Bibliography of all your resources. You can print or export it as pdf.

That way you do not have to hack Logos.

Another cool thing about the Bibliography is that when you create one you can convert it into a Collection.

Hope that helped somehow.

Posts 1649
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 7:52 AM

It has been some time ago, so which thread that it was does not come to mind, but I seem to remember Mark saying that this is broken with Logos 5 and he was not sure when he would get around to fixing it. It was a very neat tool with Logos 4 though.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 8:00 AM

David Medina:
I believe you can do the same by creating a All Resources Collection. It will show it in table format and you can add or hide columns of information.

Maybe this is obvious, but what's the rule for an "All Resources" Collection?

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 8:09 AM

Timothy Brown:
what's the rule for an "All Resources" Collection?

e.g. title:*

or rating:<6 (which used to be faster until Logos optimized it with the latest versions of L5)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 10:11 AM

Jerry Bush:
Anyone have luck with this?

removed

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 689
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 12:04 PM

Steve -

That looks really good. Is it printable?

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 12:09 PM

Jerry Bush:
That looks really good. Is it printable?

It is just a webpage generated as Mark's was. Printing depends on your browser, it would just print the picture.

EDIT:

removed

EDIT2:

removed

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 2:06 PM

Removed

Posts 13367
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 3:19 PM

Hi Jerry,

I'm afraid that my utility no longer works, for a range of reasons. The biggest problem was the ever increasing size of users' catalog.db files coupled with a downsizing of my hosting arrangements (I used to have a dedicated server, now I'm on cloud hosting). Most catalog.db files tip the scales at around 30Mb, but 125Mb is not uncommon, and I'd ended up with more than 20Gb of catalog files on my server! That was fixable, but even uploading files of that size in the browser is not straightforward without more work, and I have too many projects on the go at the moment!

It's a shame, because the data in a catalog.db file is fascinating, and if I had infinite time there would be potential to do a really interesting site to showcase your Logos library and compare it with other users (think Goodreads/LibraryThing for Logos).

But being realistic, I've simply retired the bibliographic report instead Big Smile!

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 3:24 PM

Mark,

It was a great idea while it lasted!
Thanks

Posts 18699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 3:40 PM

There was some indication that Logos might be intending to do a feature like this someday in the future. It is marked as "Planned" on UserVoice:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/642271-a-visual-bookshelf-feature-like-mark-barnes-s-cool

That was back in Dec 2011, and Bradley later said he regretted marking it as Planned because it sets up expectations they are not prepared to meet. But still, one can only hope...

Posts 8057
LogosEmployee

Rosie Perera:

Bradley later said he regretted marking it as Planned because it sets up expectations they are not prepared to meet.

Bob marked this one as planned, probably in a "this is a good idea, we should do it" sense. Unfortunately, "Planned" often seems to be interpreted as "they're planning it now, so they'll probably start coding in two weeks, be done in four weeks and ship it in two months" which is definitely not the case. Smile

So I've stopped marking things as "Planned" until they're very late in the planning stages.

That said, the feature we do have planned is similar to Mark Barnes' implementation only in that they both show cover images; I don't know if you would actually consider the suggestion implemented when we do ship it. I may remove the "Planned" status.

Posts 18699
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 5:53 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
That said, the feature we do have planned is similar to Mark Barnes' implementation only in that they both show cover images

We already have something that shows cover images (the Library in List View, or whatever that view is called which is not Grid View). So how would this be different? So showing cover images can't be the only similarity with Mark Barnes' implementation. Will it show them horizontally (in a 2D grid) like a bookshelf? Will we be able to drag them around to rearrange them like we might do on a physical library shelf? That would be my hope. Or at least I should say I hope you take that request into consideration when designing the feature whenever you get around to designing it.

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 13 2013 6:33 PM

NB.Mick:

Timothy Brown:
what's the rule for an "All Resources" Collection?

e.g. title:*

or rating:<6 (which used to be faster until Logos optimized it with the latest versions of L5)

Thanks!

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2013 3:42 PM

Working on VB app for public consumption.

It will run on Window's PCs and allow you to create a webpage which will reside on your PC that shows you your book-covers (like Mark Barnes' older Bibliographic Report). Below is a screen-shot of the app as it stands now (i will probably do more cleanup before releasing it).

Below is a screen-shot of the webpage it built on my PC.

• It will interrogate the Registry to determine where your Logos is installed.
  • Determine if the local copy of Logos' catalog database is fresh (the app uses a copy of the actual Logos database)
    If not, then see if Logos is running. If running it will request you to close Logos before trying to copy the db
    (this ensures that we don't copy the database while Logos is running).
    Then a copy of your Logos database is copied to the app's workarea (Documents\Logos Lib Webpage).
  • When you press the Run button it will:
    scan through the copied database for each book-cover that you have (stored them temporarily in memory)
    Then copy the book-cover images to the app's workarea.
    Then creates an HTML (webpage) in the app's workarea
    Then have windows open the new HTML file into your default browser.

Hope to be ready to beta it in the next few weeks.

[Mac users]

If you have a dual OS ability, you can run this in windows, then copy the app's folder to your Mac OS and then use your browser to access the HTML file (webpage).

EDIT:

will start a new thread when i am ready to beta it. i will probably create a website to invite users to assist me in trying it on different:

• Logos versions
  • Different Windows OS's
  • Different builds of Logos (e.g. those who might have multiple installs under different user names). With other apps that i've built, there were issues where Logos had multiple special folders installed.

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2013 3:45 PM

steve clark:
Working on VB app for public consumption.

Looks great - thank you for working on this.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2013 4:40 PM

steve clark:
It will interrogate the Registry to determine where your Logos is installed.

Verbum? Uses same registry structure but it's under HKCU\Software\Verbum instead of HKCU\Software\Logos4 key

steve clark:
[Mac users]...

xPlatform version in Java, Perl, Ruby, Python? Devil

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS