Bibliographic Report Webpage

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 16 2013 8:44 AM

i mentioned in this post that i am working on a Window's VB app that will mimic Mark Barnes' former website that generated a webpage which showed all your book covers in your Logos library.

Over the weekend i was viewing the books and wished that the database had them in order. So i thought that i could build an add-on feature which allowed me to manually sort the book covers in the order that i wanted. So i was wondering if there was sufficient interest in coding this feature into the app that i am building. I also thought that creating user selectable headings would be of use as well. There are several other sub-features that come to mind as well, but if there is not sufficient interest it is not worth all the extra coding.

So please let me know what you think.

Below is a quick view of quick manual change (via HTML tweaking). [click on image below to see full size]

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 887
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:38 AM

Steve,  I think that all of us would appreciate the ability to sort alphabetically, by author, title, subject, tags, pub date, collections, etc.  But, frankly, I think we're all just appreciative of the effort you've already poured into the project.  Thank you, sir!

--Bro Mark

"I read dead people..."

Posts 572
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:54 AM

Brother Mark:

Steve,  I think that all of us would appreciate the ability to sort alphabetically, by author, title, subject, tags, pub date, collections, etc.  But, frankly, I think we're all just appreciative of the effort you've already poured into the project.  Thank you, sir!

--Bro Mark

Yes May God richly bless you and yours, Steve. Thank you for what you do for the Logos community.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:59 AM

Brother Mark:
I think that all of us would appreciate the ability to sort alphabetically, by author, title, subject, tags, pub date, collections, etc.

The program will not do this automatically inside the program. The catalog.db has many inconsistencies of text within its fields. So my original thought was to add tools which would allow the user to filter by Type (Logos types as found in your Library window) or Tagging (user tagging) and they manually check (a checkbox would appear next to each title) the titles to add to a list. So this would be somewhat tedious to the user. As said, inconsistencies in the db info would require this.

Although i am considering pre-sorting all title by Logos type before generating the webpage file.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 3:03 PM

Below is a link to a demo view of my library.

Please keep in mind that the Demo is being loaded off the internet. This is just so you can see what the program that i am working on produces.

When the program is running on your PC, it will load very quick since all the files will be present on your PC. Also you will be viewing YOUR books not mine (as shown in this Demo).

Link to view Demo

EDIT: modified the demo to only show the 1st 10 covers for each library type.

Posts 887
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 6:15 PM

Beautiful!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 8:07 PM

It looks great - thanks.  Would it be possible to create a link associated with each image so that when chosen with a mouse click (or a touch) the book would open within LOGOS?  The effect would be like walking through a library or book store and picking a book off the shelf to see if might answer a specific question or might address a larger problem.

In my mind it does not seem too much of a stretch to add links to a web page, but then I have not seen the code you are creating.  Thanks for considering it.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 8:46 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Would it be possible to create a link associated with each image so that when chosen with a mouse click (or a touch) the book would open within LOGOS?

In the Demo, try clicking on one of my books that you have in your library (e.g. ESV Bible). It should open in Logos.

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:18 PM

Wow ... thanks Smile.  Very cool.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:14 AM

Beautiful work, Steve. Manual sorting would be nice.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 46
Peter Bongers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 8:36 AM

Wow... this is great stuff! Thanks for what you have done so far, and keep on going! Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:26 PM

Mark Barnes deserves all the credit for how nice the pages look. It is his design that i made a few tweeks to. i am just a fellow servant who is writing code so that others can utilize his design.

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:32 PM

Timothy Brown:
Manual sorting would be nice.

Being able to drag and drop to reorder books on our shelves, like we can do with out physical bookshelves, would be awesome.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 7:27 AM

i could use a Verbum catalog file to help me add the ability to do dual HTML file generation. So if someone who has Verbum and has less than 2500 book would be willing to share their Verbum catalog file please email me at the address below.

i only need a few, so if you send yours, please post here on this forum thread so others will know how many have been sent.

Thanks in advance.

(i will be out of town most of today, so i will not respond until later tonight)

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 10:47 AM

steve clark:
i could use a Verbum catalog file to help me add the ability to do dual HTML file generation.

Steve - I don't use Verbum, but it might be helpful to cross post this request on the Verbum forums; you might reach more of your target audience.  

I am anxious to see this project move forward - thanks for all the work you are doing to make it work.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 11:37 AM

Floyd Johnson:
it might be helpful to cross post this request on the Verbum forums

What Verbum forum? There is none.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 12:23 PM

fgh:
What Verbum forum? There is none.

Oops - there isn't even a Catholic forum.  That does surprise me.  

I guess I learned something today.  Though I still think it is a good idea Smile.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 5:57 PM

removed

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 6:10 PM

Steve, have you looked at today's beta release notes?

(Sorry, I'm on Mac so I can't help you.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 7:43 PM

fgh:
Steve, have you looked at today's beta release notes?

Sounds like i may be spinning my wheels (so to speak). If you are on the Beta, could you post a screen-shot of the Library using the new Bookshelf view?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS