How do I.. (collections)

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3976
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 20 2013 3:07 PM

I'm in the process of tagging all my books; of 4200 books (or so) I have only 1400 left to tag.

My goal is a few every day PLUS anything I purchase. I'm considering the 500 book mega pack, and so was wondering if there is an easy way to put all those into a collection without typing each name individually?

Is there a search I can do - perhaps something like: Updated:12/20/2013 that would do this for me?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 3:37 PM

I normally tag my Vyrso books.  I use the Logos wiki as guide for setting up rules for my collections.  Do I need to tags my logos books too?  I notice that some of my collections contain commentary/Journals that I don't want them to be in there.  How do I exclude them in my collections?  Are there more examples of collection rules somewhere?  Thanks.

AB

Posts 29340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 3:42 PM

abondservant:
Updated:12/20/2013 that would do this for me?

Yes, this works

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 3:44 PM

Alex Bui:
Are there more examples of collection rules somewhere?  Thanks.

http://wiki.logos.com/Collections#Examples

http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections

http://wiki.logos.com/Canonical_Commentary_Collections

Faithlife: Logos Library Theology/Denomination Tags

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 5:02 PM

Peace, MJ!                   *smile*                                                    A very helpful post!                           Thank you!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 5:31 PM

Thank you MJ, especially for the Denomination Tags Smile.

AB

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 5:35 PM

abondservant:
I'm in the process of tagging all my books; of 4200 books (or so) I have only 1400 left to tag.

My goal is a few every day PLUS anything I purchase.
Well done. What a great strategy.

Alex Bui:
I normally tag my Vyrso books...Do I need to tags my logos books too? 

I personally have become convinced of the value of doing this. Here is the tagging system I use - 3750.My Tagging System for Logos.docx

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 5:55 PM

Thank you, Bruce.  Your list is awesome!!!!Smile

AB

Posts 5322
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 6:08 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I personally have become convinced of the value of doing this. Here is the tagging system I use - 3750.My Tagging System for Logos.docx

Yes tagging can be time consuming,  I'd love it if there was a way to mass remove a tag you decide no longer require or be able to rename it, but it is still worth the effort.  Well organised approach Bruce.  And as Abondservant suggested a disciplined approach is required.

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 6:29 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
Yes tagging can be time consuming,  I'd love it if there was a way to mass remove a tag you decide no longer require or be able to rename it

Agreed! Anyone who feels the same way should vote for this request on UserVoice:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/564609-provide-management-of-mytags

It's sitting there at #9 in votes. Maybe we can push it up a few slots. They have already begun implementing one improvement to tagging which is a dropdown list of existing tags to choose from that match the first few letters you've typed, so that can save a bit of typing time. This is in Beta 1 of 5.2a, and beta testers are using it already. It's still a bit buggy.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 6:43 PM

Alex Bui:

Thank you, Bruce.  Your list is awesome!!!!Smile

AB

You are welcome. I hope it helps in some way.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 9:40 PM

Thank you, Bruce.  Tagging will ensure books go to the right collections for sure.  I hope one day Logos would automate most of these works so we don't have to set up collections or tagging.  We only need to modify it to suit our needs.  This would help those who just purchase a new base package or a large collection such as the Complete Classic Commentaries Bundle, the bundles, or the Mega Pack.   

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2013 10:33 PM

Alex Bui:
Tagging will ensure books go to the right collections for sure.

Every tag is a collection.  Caveat: adding resource(s) to a tag collection requires adding tag to resource(s).

Wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections has many example collections that use Logos metadata with dynamic rules.

Note: If join Faithlife group Logos Collections, can freely copy Collections by clicking Get Copy to the right of the desired document name followed by synchronizing Logos. Alternative is Select All then Action => Get Copies

Personally use mytags to supplement Logos metadata.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 8:10 AM

Hi Keep Smiling 4 Jesus.   I currently use the same strategy to create my collections.  I now use Bruce’s list to tag books  and use mytags  to gather books in collections.  I can see a need to improve mytags’ management and thank Rosie for posting the link to the UserVoice.  I followed the link and casted my vote.  I have few questions.  How/when would you get more votes?  How may vote(s) can you cast in one request?  Thank you.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 10:27 AM

Alex Bui:
How/when would you get more votes? 

You have a maximum of 10 votes

How may vote(s) can you cast in one request?

You can use a maximum of 3 votes on each idea.

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 10:36 AM

Thank you, Bruce.  Will you get additional votes after certain period?  I couldn't imagine there will be no more after you have casted your 10 votes.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 10:45 AM

Alex Bui:
I hope one day Logos would automate most of these works so we don't have to set up collections or tagging.

No, thanks. There's no way Logos can know what collections or tags I want.

But more correct and consistent metadata would be welcome.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 10:45 AM

Alex Bui:

Thank you, Bruce.  Will you get additional votes after certain period?  I couldn't imagine there will be no more after you have casted your 10 votes.

I've have used all of my votes. Here is what the site says about more votes:

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 11:06 AM

Hi fgh.  I mean Logos would setup the most common collections and let us add or modify these collections.   I don't want to setup too many collections if they slow down the search.  I remember Rosie said in another thread that too many collections would slow down the search, so I only have the collections that I use the most in Logos.  The rest I keep in excel, one column for the name of collection, and another column for the dynamic rules.  I only copy these templates in Logos when I need them.

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 11:10 AM

Thank you Bruce for the information and thank you for showing me how to edit my post from another thread, Smile.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS