How do I.. (collections)

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 3:49 PM

Alex Bui:
I don't want to setup too many collections if they slow down the search.  I remember Rosie said in another thread that too many collections would slow down the search

The question is if you have the same definition of "too many" as Rosie has. I believe she has about 150-250 collections. How many do you have?Smile

Plus I don't know when you read that. They may have optimized things a bit since then.

And it also depends on the computer specs, of course.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 6:47 PM

Hi fgh,,not only does she have many collections but also she has a huge library, Smile.  I am thankful for many seasoned logos users like Rosie who spends time helping new users.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 9:17 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Note: If join Faithlife group Logos Collections, can freely copy Collections by clicking Get Copy to the right of the desired document name followed by synchronizing Logos. Alternative is Select All then Action => Get Copies

Currently Collections has 300 shared documents: primarily dynamic rules using metadata plus some manual additions.

Alex Bui:
I don't want to setup too many collections if they slow down the search.

Personally have 337 collections, which can take some time to appear in drop down list in search (along with series and mytags) plus take awhile to scroll to desired one.  Search seems to function fine using 3rd Generation i7 with Solid State Disk (SSD).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5322
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 11:01 PM

fgh:

Alex Bui:
I don't want to setup too many collections if they slow down the search.  I remember Rosie said in another thread that too many collections would slow down the search

The question is if you have the same definition of "too many" as Rosie has. I believe she has about 150-250 collections. How many do you have?Smile

Plus I don't know when you read that. They may have optimized things a bit since then.

I am not sure of the context in which Rosie made the comment so won't say she was wrong,  but I would say many collections slow the display of drop down lists but I don't know if they slow down an actual search.  If she see's this thread maybe she can further explain the comment.

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 1:10 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):

fgh:

Alex Bui:

I am not sure of the context in which Rosie made the comment so won't say she was wrong,  but I would say many collections slow the display of drop down lists but I don't know if they slow down an actual search.  If she see's this thread maybe she can further explain the comment.

Yes, it was that many collections slow the display of dropdown lists, and if I said it it was only because I was repeating what Bradley had told me when I was complaining that my dropdowns were really slow to drop down (like half a minute or more). Anyway, Logos has vastly improved the speed of display of dropdown lists now, to the point where I hardly notice it anymore and have no complaints.

Lots of collections doesn't, as far as I know, have anything to do with search speed. 

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 2:09 PM

Thank you everyone for clearing up my misconception.  It is good to know having many collections in Logos won’t slow down the searchSmile.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 10:08 AM

Bruce Dunning:
I personally have become convinced of the value of doing this. Here is the tagging system I use - 3750.My Tagging System for Logos.docx

I appreciate that I am very late to this, but I just wanted to thank you for your work with this list. I have just embarked on tagging my library and this will be hugely helpful.

Thank you again.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 4:59 PM

Andy Evans:

Bruce Dunning:
I personally have become convinced of the value of doing this. Here is the tagging system I use - 3750.My Tagging System for Logos.docx

I appreciate that I am very late to this, but I just wanted to thank you for your work with this list. I have just embarked on tagging my library and this will be hugely helpful.

Thank you again.

Well done Andy! You will not regret doing the work but will reap the benefits afterwards.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 6:58 PM

Andy Evans:
I have just embarked on tagging my library and this will be hugely helpful.

Personally use a mixture of library tagging and dynamic rules for collections.  New library resources have myrating of 0 (while community rating can be different):

When have verified a resource is in desired collection(s), then change rating to 2 stars.  Personally like English resources to be in 5 or more collections since have 4 largish collections:

• English Library without Bibles
  • English Library without Commentary
  • English Library without Perseus
  • Language:English

If a resource is not in desired collection(s), then have two options: modify collection(s) to include resource or add tag(s).

Thankful for Rosie's ratings => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4363/157779.aspx#157779

Rosie Perera:
0 stars - just purchased, haven't had time to do anything with it yet (though I usually do them right away so they don't stay in this state for very long)
1 star - I really don't think this resource is very valuable and would usually chose to ignore it, but I don't dislike it enough to hide it
2 stars - the rating I assign to everything as soon as I buy it, which means basically "I don't know yet what I think of this"
3 stars - good
4 stars - very good
5 stars - outstanding, one of my favorite resources

When have an opinion about a resource, then change rating appropriately.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS