A long time ago in a series of Galaxie Journals far, far away...

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 87 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 20 2013 11:58 PM

...there was a gem of a product called 'Theological Journals' that was updated annually. It usually came out about Christmas and was a nice prezzy to dig through over the holidays.

It struggled the last two years with major delays to get published, but it got there in the end, usually about June of the following year.

So, unless I have missed something, there has not been the usual pre pub for this year's instalment in August/September.

Anyone on here know about it? I fear that given the last two years that we are seeing this product die a quiet slow death.  

Shame.  It was a star and a gem of recent theological thinking that you would have to wait some time to read about in monographs and commentaries.Sad

Things do change and move on. It would be nice to find out what the story is though.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 11:13 PM

bump!  One last chance... this isn't looking good folks. Going...going...

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:02 AM

I'd like to see a TJL Vol. 16 in Pre-Pub. How about it Logos?

Posts 5601
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:04 AM

Paul-C:

I'd like to see a TJL Vol. 16 in Pre-Pub. How about it Logos?

Yes  Please ....

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:06 AM

I just sent an email to Galaxie to see if there's any update from their end. I'll post back as and when there's any reply.

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:12 AM

I think the question this Christmas should be "would there be a sale soon for Theological Journal 1-15?" Party!!!

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 1:32 AM

I had an almost immediate response from Galaxie, which included the following statement:

No, Logos decided they didn't need me any more. They decided to go directly to the journal editors and try to get the content from each journal editor and create their own journal library. I know many of the editors don't like this and are not going to work directly with Logos, so some of the journals in my "Theological Journal Library" will be available in Logos in the future, and some will not.

Disappointing for those of us who value TJL so much...

Posts 3296
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 1:36 AM

Paul-C:

I had an almost immediate response from Galaxie, which included the following statement:

No, Logos decided they didn't need me any more. They decided to go directly to the journal editors and try to get the content from each journal editor and create their own journal library. I know many of the editors don't like this and are not going to work directly with Logos, so some of the journals in my "Theological Journal Library" will be available in Logos in the future, and some will not.

I was hoping this was not the case still- but alas he has started working with WS who just introduced their Journals package, if he updates with them every year may just get theirs. Right they have in their set 857 volumes of 35 different journals, may buy the master volume then do the yearly updates there from now on.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 2:42 AM

Paul-C:

Oh dear, oh dear... I was afraid of this. Sad

Is this a win for journal users? My fear is that we will pay much more for a varied schedule of release and it will be interesting to find out who is disappearing from Logos for good. The Galaxie annual offering was like clockwork, was very good value for money and was extremely useful.  I am sure there is more information to be considered in what is going on, but why break something that was working?  It seems that this situation got worse and worse, to the point that we are seeing the inevitable happen.

We have seen BAR leave Logos as well.  

Well, I have campaigned for the past couple of years for journals. I am glad to see some new entries added in pre pub (sometimes at great expense), but I am sad to see some of the old mainstays that I rely on get the axe. Time to move on I guess...

Posts 5601
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 3:23 AM

Paul-C:

This is a major disappointment - what were Logos thinking - I may now be using WS more often if this is the way I have to get access to this collection of journals.

Posts 2159
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 6:55 AM

Logos 5 is a great program.  But I have always felt the most valuable resource in the program were the theological journals produced by Galaxie.  It is a huge blow to see this end.  Why touch a good thing that worked well? 

Posts 2895
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 2:49 PM

This is awful news. I am dreadfully disappointed Crying WS here I come Broken Heart

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 7:46 PM

So will the theological journals already in Logos remain available?

https://www.logos.com/product/33619/theological-journal-library-vols-1-15

Posts 2895
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 8:34 PM

Kevin Maples:
So will the theological journals already in Logos remain available?

No guarantee Sad

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 8:35 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
The Galaxie annual offering was like clockwork, was very good value for money and was extremely useful.  I am sure there is more information to be considered in what is going on, but why break something that was working?

Indeed, this is disappointing news. I also value the journals highly.  It has been good value, I agree. Since Logos is a business, perhaps it was not that great in value for them on sales. Glad to know there are alternatives outside of Logos.

David

Posts 2982
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 9:42 PM

Paul-C:

Tragic

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 10:56 PM

Jacob Hantla:
Tragic

That sums it up well.

What would have been nice is an announcement from Logos that this happening and what their vision is for the future for journals.

Posts 1131
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 11:03 PM

The Grinch who stole Christmas has returned ?!? I thought he had reformed his ways.

Posts 31960
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 11:35 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
What would have been nice is an announcement from Logos that this happening

When L4 was released Logos made clear their intent to not use 3rd party content but to pull it all in-house. Their reasoning included quality and update with tagging for new features ... so why the sudden concern 4 years (?) later. And I would take a wait and see approach on the final response of the journal publishers .... academic journal publishing is in such a state of flux currently that I believe next to nothing as true beyond 3 months.Huh?

So I'm going to enjoy Christmas and not worry about journals until well past the holidays.Zip it!

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9558
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 25 2013 5:05 AM

mike:

I think the question this Christmas should be "would there be a sale soon for Theological Journal 1-15?" Party!!!

This was on my Christmas wish list too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS