Making the transition from Bibleworks to L4 easier.

Page 5 of 6 (112 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 111 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:00 AM

I want to be able to print my notes

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:02 AM

I want to add a reference note to a SPECIFIC Bible and not to ALL Bibles

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:06 AM

I want to save my Reading Lists to a different URL than the standard Logos one.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:09 AM

In the Biblical People resource I want to be able to send the output to OpenOffice Impress rather than PowerPoint

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:11 AM

In Biblical Places I want to be able to dump the output to OpenOffice Impress

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:13 AM

In Biblical Things I want to be able to dump the output to OpenOffice Impress

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:22 AM

If I, for example, highlight Genesis 1:1-6 in the KJV and then right click and select Copy from the box that opens and then paste this into OpenOffice Write, I'd like the results in OpenOffice Write to be the same as if I had highlighted the selected text and then went to the uppermost menu and selected  Tool/Passages/Copy Bible Verses and then pasted this output into Write.  As it stands they differ.  This is broken.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:23 AM

MikeM,

with all due respect brother...you're all over the map....

If you are replying to me....then I'll recap:

This was your statement:

I wasn't making up anything.  The other software product is better for original language studies - and if you're not studying in the original languages you're wasting your time in Bible study.

And so IN REPLY TO THAT statement; I asked you to be specific.

In reference to "original language studies" just how is the "other program better' exactly?

that's what I was getting at.

Can you be specific about what it specifically does that Logos specifically doesn't do in that context?

Are you saying that because you cannot dump the contents of "Biblical Places" or "Biblical People" directly into Impress that Logos is inferior for "original language studies?"

I must be misunderstanding you or you misunderstood what I was asking.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:32 AM

MikeM,

Since I'm unfamiliar with "the other software"

Which of these functions does it currently have that makes it "better for the original language studies?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

1. Print any Psalm in it's entirety from the BHS 4.2 morphology so I can go mark it up on the patio.
  2. Print the results of a syntax search

3. Print the results of a passage analysis

4. Handouts.  Preferably I can customize them myself.

5. Print my notes

6. The ability to add a reference note to a SPECIFIC Bible and not to ALL Bibles

7. Reading Lists

8. Biblical People resource.

9. Biblical Places resource.

10. Biblical Things resource.

11. The ability to: highlight Genesis 1:1-6 in the KJV and then right click and select Copy from the box that opens and then paste this into OpenOffice Write, I'd like the results in OpenOffice Write to be the same as if I had highlighted the selected text and then went to the uppermost menu and selected  Tool/Passages/Copy Bible Verses and then pasted this output into Write.

Robert Pavich

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:33 AM

Robert,

Just STOP.  You wanted specifics without sarcasm.  I have a pile of them.  Now you don't want specifics.  Maybe we misunderstood each other on your previous last request of me.

I'll just post all of this in the Suggestions area.  I haven't even begun to list everything I want or that needs fixing.

If you want to see what BibleWorks can and cannot do then go buy it.  They offer something like a 60 day money back deal.  Then you can see for yourself.  So let's just end this all with that.  You go buy it and give it a workout and see how it pans.  I'm not going to sit here with a stopwatch to time the morph searches for you when in truth you can't do anything about it anyway.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:35 AM

MikeM,

I'm just trying to understand whether you are just being grumpy or you have a specific functionality that is wanting for "original language studies" that Logos should implement...

Evidently it's just grumpy

Robert Pavich

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:37 AM

Robert Pavich:

MikeM,

Since I'm unfamiliar with "the other software"

Which of these functions does it currently have that makes it "better for the original language studies?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE HE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

1. Print any Psalm in it's entirety from the BHS 4.2 morphology so I can go mark it up on the patio.
  2. Print the results of a syntax search
  3. Print the results of a passage analysis
  4. Handouts.  Preferably I can customize them myself.
  5. Print my notes
  6. The ability to add a reference note to a SPECIFIC Bible and not to ALL Bibles
  7. Reading Lists
  8. Biblical People resource.
  9. Biblical Places resource.
  10. Biblical Things resource.
  11. The ability to: highlight Genesis 1:1-6 in the KJV and then right click and select Copy from the box that opens and then paste this into OpenOffice Write, I'd like the results in OpenOffice Write to be the same as if I had highlighted the selected text and then went to the uppermost menu and selected  Tool/Passages/Copy Bible Verses and then pasted this output into Write.

You are new to sarcasm, I can see.  Give it time.  You'll get the hang of it.  This attempt was kind of lame though.

You have done nothing to change my opinion of Logos vs. BibleWorks.  And you'll never know because you've probably only seen a screen dump of BibleWorks.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:38 AM

Robert Pavich:

MikeM,

I'm just trying to understand whether you are just being grumpy or you have a specific functionality that is wanting for "original language studies" that Logos should implement...

Evidently it's just grumpy

<snif>  Now you've made me cry.  boo-hoo

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:58 AM

MikeM,

it's too bad that you chose rude instead of constructive...I would have liked to see some improved "original language" capabilities on par or exceeding "the other program" implemented into Logos if necessary...that would be great.

Robert Pavich

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:01 AM

MikeM:
You are new to sarcasm, I can see.  Give it time.  You'll get the hang of it.  This attempt was kind of lame though.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was hoping you'd have some sort of real answer as to why the other program is "better for original language studies" then when you  posted your list, I wondered which of these is present in the "other program" that makes it "better for original language studies"

I was being serious.

Robert Pavich

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:07 AM

MikeM:
You have done nothing to change my opinion of Logos vs. BibleWorks.  And you'll never know because you've probably only seen a screen dump of BibleWorks.

You seem to be too. Quality sarcasm is rather entertaining. Your's ... well ... it's kind of dumb. And annoying.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:35 AM

Mike,

I know you're busy but since you're here; can I ask you?

I've heard the phrase "the other program" is better for the original languages" and I know I can get a real answer out of you...

What would be your answer? (aside from "Logos won't print") What would you like to see Logos implement that the "other" program has as far as "original languages goes?

Robert Pavich

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:15 AM

Perhaps someone else who has and uses "the other program" can tell us what it does better in the original languages. I have been waiting for Mike's reply with interest because he seems so passionate about it. What ever "the other program" does it must do it very well. Perhaps Logos can learn how it can improve L4 even more.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:26 PM

Robert,

You have expressed that you have more than rhetorical interest in knowing some details about where competitive products have an edge on L4 so I am posting this for you.

Here is an earlier thread that has a more balanced discussion of this topic: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/5280.aspx.

Here are a few threads that contain examples of tasks that cannot presently be done in L4 but can be done rather easily using competitive products.

Like I said earlier, though, I am hopeful that all of these issues will be resolved with the future implementation of word and verse lists in L4.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8121.aspx This thread is a discussion of how to find all the words that occur in the Gospel of John but not in the LXX. As you can tell from the discussion, there was a consensus that it could not presently be done in L4.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6228.aspx Ability to exclude verse lists from a search. One strength of the competitors is the ease with which you can include or exclude the results of one search in combination with another search. This would have been helpful in solving the problem mentioned above.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6370.aspx This thread has to do with how to easily extract verse lists from search results. 

I hope this helps.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:04 PM

Russ Quinn:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6370.aspx This thread has to do with how to easily extract verse lists from search results. 

I wrote that last post while taking a break from the work that I have been doing all day where I feel the pain of that last issue.

I have been working all day on my dissertation on the Gospel of John.

I have L4 open to the text and all of the major commentaries on John that I have available. Which truly is remarkable by the way since I have BECNT (Kostenberger), WBC (Beasley-Murray), ICC (Bernard), NAC (Borchert), Pillar (Carson), Calvin, Westcott, and the Commentary on the Use of the Old Testament in the New Testament. If I could afford them, I could also have ABD (Brown), NICNT (Morris) and NIVAC (Burge). I mean, really, any comparison to competitors needs to fully appreciate how much time it saves to have all of these top rate resources available in one place. And we haven't even mentioned the grammars (BDF, Wallace, Robertson, Porter, Moulton-Turner), the lexicons (BDAG, LSJ, TDNT, EDN), and other resources like Metzger and Zerwick. Truly remarkable! It allows me to get a lot of work done in the time that I have to do it.

Having said all of this, I do have a competitive program open at the same time for one major reason. If I have something I want to explore through a lemma search of the New Testament, I execute it first in L4. If there are significant results that I want to report from that search, however, I execute it it in the competitive program just because I can quickly get a verse list formatted to meet the requirements of my style guide (e.g. πέμπω occurs in John 1:22, 33; 4:34; 5:23–24, 30, 37; 6:38–39, 44; 7:16, 18, 28, 33; 8:16, 18, 26, 29; 9:4; 12:44–45, 49; 13:16, 20; 14:24, 26; 15:21, 26; 16:5, 7; 20:21). It literally took less than 10 seconds for me to switch to the competitive program, generate the results, and copy the list in that format.

That may seem like a small thing but when you are doing it as much as I am under an impending deadline, it can be a big deal.

Page 5 of 6 (112 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS