Philokalia?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Michael O'Brien | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 23 2013 7:45 PM

Is anyone else interested in getting the Philokalia onto Logos? I am in the process of getting a lot of my books off the shelf and into Logos and this is one real absence for me in the Logos range. So I hope others might be interested in getting the Philokalia into Logos.

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 7:55 PM

Yes ... and it's received support when suggested in the past.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 7:56 PM

Peace, Michael!                 A Blessed Christmas!             *smile*

Welcome to the Logos Forums, indeed!

Good news!          It's here!

Good News!             I own it!

Good News!                  You can also!

Bad News!              $21.00 American dollars ...                     It's spelled with a "c"        .......    not a "k"          *smile*

https://www.logos.com/product/9695/the-philocalia-of-origen

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 7:57 PM

MJ!        *smile*

You, of all people, must own it also???    eh?

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 8:03 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
   You, of all people, must own it also???    eh?

I do ... but I was thinking of the Philokalia that is a multi-volume anthology ...The Philokalia by St. Nikodimos and St. Makarios

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 23 2013 8:07 PM

Then, I must be the one that needs to do some "larning," eh?     *smile*

Just googled Philokalia and realise that both of you are NOT talking Origen!      Blessings

Posts 6
Michael O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:07 AM

The Philokalia complete comes in four volumes, with a fifth supplementary edition. There was also a summary editions put out by Faber and Faber ("Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart" and Early Fathers from the Philokalia".

I find the writing inspiring and feel it would be valuable for others too.

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:38 AM

Then there is the little Russian Philokalia which I believe is now available in translation.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 6:22 AM

Blessings!                      *smile*

It doth appear that I would be very, very interested in the development of Philokalia - !!!           Glad for this post and will keep my eyes and heart open ....

Edit!                  The Peace of Christmas be with you on this Christmas Eve Day!             *smile*

I guess Kindle would be acceptable; however, for me it would be much better in Logos!

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 7:57 AM

I tried a search on Amazon.co.uk but didn't find anything particularly appealing.
Does anyone know of some other Anthology with Origen's writings, preferably a little newer, '30s or newer?
Or some translation from 2012-2014? (Considering there has been a new manuscript find just a few years back with lost works, which I think had not yet been incorporated in any translation by 2010.)

These may be as printed matter - I think I've looked through what Logos offers.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 12:45 PM

We have been working to license the Philokalia (4 vols.) from Faber & Faber for a while now. I wish I had a better update, but it's out of my hands at this point. I pray and hope we get it soon.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 1:00 PM

Thanks for "popping by," Gabe!                            A Blessed Christmas to you and your family!          *smile*

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 1:10 PM

Gabe Martini:
We have been working to license the Philokalia (4 vols.)

Be sure to get the final (unpublished) volumeWink and to have a wonderful nativity-epiphany season.

Posts 6
Michael O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 24 2013 5:20 PM

Gabe that would be fabulous. It is such a treasure of Christian writing. A blessed Christmas to you all.

Posts 27938
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 3:48 PM

and now we can add Philokalia Vol. 5 is finally here (almost)

Posts 9104
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 5:37 PM

MJ. Smith:

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Seeing Milford again made me smile. I miss that man!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6
Michael O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 6:49 PM

Thanks for the update. Still no news of developments in Logos though?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS