500 Megapack looks like a garage sale you leave early

Page 3 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 66 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 8895
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 4:03 AM

Gao Lu:
5. Yet.

Perhaps the thought that this will never be offered again at such a low price still is in your mind. Wink

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 7:16 PM

Mark, I appreciate your taste in classic films but not a single one of the books in this list (except Whitefield) is worth the money to me.

If this package disappears and is never offered again all I can say is - God bless em....I will wait til they offer a discount on something actually worth buying.

Honestly, if Logos gave me a majority of these books for free I would pass.

I like older scholarship and wisdom for the ages - but to me this does look mostly look like a Calvin fire sale - sorry.

Zwingli?  Thomas Cranmer? Seriously?!!

As for the other books - its all Greek to me! 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 9:07 PM

JoshInRI:

to me this does look mostly look like a Calvin fire sale - sorry.

Zwingli?  Thomas Cranmer? Seriously?!!

Don't the libraries in Baptist seminaries stock Calvin, Zwingli, and Cranmer?

JoshInRI:
As for the other books - its all Greek to me! 

It is good to study Greek.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 26244
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 10:58 PM

JoshInRI:
Whitefield

I really know nothing about him.

JoshInRI:
Thomas Cranmer?

definitely essential - "father" of the Book of Common Prayer and its many descendents

JoshInRI:
its all Greek to me! 

from Shakespeare meaning "something that you say when you do not understand something that is written or said" ... which is to say that when you have read more deeply and more broadly you, too, may find value in these works. But you are probably truthful when you say

JoshInRI:
not a single one of the books in this list (except Whitefield) is worth the money to me.

Just don't forget the qualifier "to me" and assume your judgment applies to anyone else.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 65
Randy Marsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 11:51 PM

I ended up purchasing this package and I am delighted with it.  I go the the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY and yes, they do carry the books by Calvin, Zwingli, and Cranmer.  I remember reading the works of Zwingli there and I found that to be a truly wonderful experience.  I also have enjoyed reading Calvin's Institutes.

Anyways, however you look at it, many of the books offered in this collection left their marks on church history, and even if you do not agree with many of the authors, they are still worth reading because they had an influence on shaping our thoughts today.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:39 AM

DAL:
 I wish there was a way for Logos to bring back the content Platinum LE in Logos 4 had plus more new stuff,

I purchased L4 Platinum when it first came out, and got the Baker Exegetical set. Shortly after (do not remember how long) Baker pulled the set from the package. It could be a lisencing issue with the publisher.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:26 AM

I've been waiting since 20th December to get a list from sales at Logos of the resources that would be added to my account. Like most of these offers the challenge is determining what you actually will get for your money!

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:44 AM

I called and spoke with customer service and they emailed me a list of resources "new to me" within 5 minutes.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:52 AM

I've been very clear that I like old and new scholarship.  Happy New Year everyone.  I hope in the new year Logos is as persistent with other sales featuring items I might actually make use of please.  I continue to hope for dramatically slashed prices on commentaries.

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:56 AM

I cannot understand the complaints about this package. The fact that these sets made it through community pricing proves enough people want to own these volumes and are willing to pay for them. This is a great set. If you don't want to purchase it I don't see why you would spend time complaining. It is like going to Home Depot and complaining about the things they sell. I got 82 volumes for $68 and wiped out $1200 off my wish list. 

Posts 8895
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 11:04 AM

David Kirk Davis:
I cannot understand the complaints about this package. The fact that these sets made it through community pricing proves enough people want to own these volumes and are willing to pay for them. This is a great set. If you don't want to purchase it I don't see why you would spend time complaining. It is like going to Home Depot and complaining about the things they sell.

I totally agree with you. Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 11:09 AM

David Kirk Davis:

I cannot understand the complaints about this package. 

Hint: it's been hyped up to heaven; I mean, we were basically told that the sales team 'fought' for us and we owe it to them to buy it. That this is the 'best deal ever'; of course people are going to express their sense of being underwhelmed. If you don't want to hear people's comments, don't go to the comments section of the newspaper (if we are going to argue from analogies). 

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 11:11 AM

Mr. Davis, I have boycotted Home Depot for years but my reasons why are not for this forum.  I am glad Logos offers a clearance on some items for people that may make use of them.  My original email was intended to be an attempt at humor.  Logos is well aware of what I hope goes on sale...I lean toward useful commentaries from any age/time.

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 11:14 AM

JoshInRI:

Mr. Davis, I have boycotted Home Depot for years but my reasons why are not for this forum.  I am glad Logos offers a clearance on some items for people that may make use of them.  My original email was intended to be an attempt at humor.  Logos is well aware of what I hope goes on sale...I lean toward useful commentaries from any age/time.

You shared your impressions, asked others what you were missing, and stayed positive about Logos. There's no need for anyone to have taken offense. 

Posts 10106
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 11:15 AM

Logos is getting ready for January inventory.  

Posts 168
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 12:00 PM

Unfortunately I saw no big savings deal in the latest Black Friday or Christmas sales - at least nothing that is on my wish list (eg NICOT/NICNT, Interpretation commentary, NIV application commentary). And I already have many books that I might appreciate from  the super "never to be repeated",  "I am about to miss out on", "best single deal in Logos history", "save at least 96%" (off the prices set by Logos) mega 500 package.

It seems that most of the offers in the last few Logos sales have not really been very steeply discounted for being a super sale. More like just an everyday special offer. A lot of marketing techniques being demonstrated, but no deep discounts. Almost tempted to cross over to another side to pick up some resources I've been waiting for Logos to discount!.

Jim

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 1:50 PM

Jim Snowden:

Unfortunately I saw no big savings deal in the latest Black Friday or Christmas sales - at least nothing that is on my wish list (eg NICOT/NICNT, Interpretation commentary, NIV application commentary). And I already have many books that I might appreciate from  the super "never to be repeated",  "I am about to miss out on", "best single deal in Logos history", "save at least 96%" (off the prices set by Logos) mega 500 package.

It seems that most of the offers in the last few Logos sales have not really been very steeply discounted for being a super sale. More like just an everyday special offer. A lot of marketing techniques being demonstrated, but no deep discounts. Almost tempted to cross over to another side to pick up some resources I've been waiting for Logos to discount!.

Jim

Jim, if you are interested in the NIVOT/NT application commentary set, talk to your sales rep.  You may get good discount,  Smile.

Posts 168
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:13 PM

Thanks Alex, I'll try that.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 3:23 PM

Jim Snowden:

Jim

From my personal perspective, I was fairly happy with the 500 Book Mega Pack.

Having said that, there does seem to have been a lot of disenchantment with Logos' past few sales, at least from what I read on these forums.

Perhaps Logos is setting people's expectations too high with the all the marketing hype. If they were to tone it down a bit, then they might have a better chance at exceeding expectations. It's the whole "under-promise/over-deliver" thing.

It's great that Logos works so hard to provide deals for customers, and I'm sure they're excited to share that news with their customers. However, the Logos customer base is pretty bright, and I think most of them can spot a good deal when they see it (or at least learn about it on these forums). This obviously doesn't mean that they should stop all their marketing, but maybe tone it down a bit so expectations aren't so high.

For a product like Bible software, I don't think you want to come across as Crazy Eddie. :)

(for those who don't remember Crazy Eddie, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYGoO5imyY).

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2013 5:32 PM

Okay - I may have left early from the "garage sale" but only after buying.

Page 3 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS