Vine's Expository Dict. is slow to scroll..is this common to this resource?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 36
Mark A. Doublin | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 29 2013 10:53 AM

Hi,

I have Vine's Exp. OT/NT Dict. in my program.  It is extremely slow when trying to scroll the page.

For example:  with the mouse wheel,

One click on the wheel...the page scrolls, however, another click or two or three, etc. shortly after the first click (i.e., within even 10-20 seconds between clicks) no scrolling.  All I get is the "twirling circle" and a note at the top saying "not responding".  Eventually, then, the page will scroll several times like it's catching up.

For example:  using the scroll bar on the side,

I get the same thing as above.

All other resources I use do not do this.  They scroll as I roll the mouse wheel or click on the scroll bar as they should.

Scrolling in other windows programs works as normal.

Thoughts or suggestions as to how to remedy this?

Thanks in advance.

Mark <><

Posts 27410
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 12:12 PM

That may indicate that it is part of a link set. Look jn the Tab menu and see if Link set: is used. Also see what is ticked in the tri-colour icon (Visual Filter).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 36
Mark A. Doublin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 12:48 PM

Hi Dave,

Here's what I found...

The "tri-color circles" had no items checked...they are currently "all white".

I did have Vine's linked to my Bibles, Comms. etc.  I disabled the link and it works as it should.

Won't this set-up, i.e., not linked, cause me to have to do a couple of extras steps when using Vine's in my studies?  It seems to me that "un-linking" will cause Vine's to "not keep up" with all my open resources as I move thru them?

The only way I seem to now be able to use Vine's is to keep open an interlinear panel, right click the Strong's number and then select Vine's from the drop down.

Is this due to the size of the Vine's file...is that slowing the scrolling down if there is a link?

Thanks, Mark <><

Posts 27410
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:09 PM

Mark A. Doublin:
Won't this set-up, i.e., not linked, cause me to have to do a couple of extras steps when using Vine's in my studies?  It seems to me that "un-linking" will cause Vine's to "not keep up" with all my open resources as I move thru them?

I experienced the same problem when linked to a Bible! However, Vine's would need Bible references to benefit from this i.e. to scroll with the bible as you are reading it. Which resources did Vine's "keep up" with when scrolling?

Mark A. Doublin:
The only way I seem to now be able to use Vine's is to keep open an interlinear panel, right click the Strong's number and then select Vine's from the drop down.

Vine's is a lexicon and this is the way it is intended to be used i.e. to lookup Greek or Hebrew words or Strong's numbers. However, you can right click an English word in a reverse interlinear like ESV, NRSV, NASB95 to get the Strong's number.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 36
Mark A. Doublin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 5:51 PM

"Which resources did Vine's "keep up" with when scrolling? "

Hi Dave,

I don't know about the scrolling along with a Bible or any resource (i.e., it may not have scrolled along at all?).  I just kind of assumed that all the open resources needed to be linked together...so...I linked all open resources.  I guess I thought this was the "normal way" to do things and all the resources, irregardless of type would all be in sync with each other.

Learning everyday.

Thanks,Mark <><

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 6:05 PM

Mark A. Doublin:
I just kind of assumed that all the open resources needed to be linked together...so...I linked all open resources.

Resource linking works when the resources in a link set share a common index so changing location in one index in a resource propagates to other resources in that link set.  Vine's has five indexes that are linkable:

Mark A. Doublin:

May want to try Information Tool: (can choose whether mouse hover or click in Bible is needed to update Information):

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 36
Mark A. Doublin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 6:17 PM

Hi Keep Smiling 4 Jesus,

I will give this a try...maybe this would help my workflow!  

Thanks, Mark <><

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS