Logos Christian e-Church

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 9:16 AM

Wow, I went away for my computer and returned to a screen full of sarcasm.

What can I say? Tongue Tied

But back to your original point George. What difference does it make if one follows the reading of scripture from a paper Bible of a Bible on an electronic device?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 9:29 AM

Bruce Dunning:

But back to your original point George. What difference does it make if one follows the reading of scripture from a paper Bible of a Bible on an electronic device?

The paper bible is restricted to … the bible !!  Do you want a bunch of teeny-boppers on Facebook or Twittering?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3683
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 10:01 AM

George Somsel:
a virtual kiss of peace

Flu season, here--not a bad idea...Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 10:42 AM

George Somsel:
The paper bible is restricted to … the bible !!  Do you want a bunch of teeny-boppers on Facebook or Twittering?

George, you of course know that people using digital Bibles is a trend that will only increase. I think our challenge is not to restrict the use but to educate. By the way, I don't think using social networking in church is only restricted to young people.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 10:53 AM

Bruce Dunning:

George Somsel:

George, you of course know that people using digital Bibles is a trend that will only increase. I think our challenge is not to restrict the use but to educate. By the way, I don't think using social networking in church is only restricted to young people.

The first thing I do on entering a church is to mark the bible readings, the BCP section and the hymns.  All I need to do is to turn to the marked section.  I don't understand why someone would insist on using an electronic device.  The text is the same so there isn't any advantage to using an electronic device.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1062
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 10:57 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I had a response, but I deleted it because it was sarcastic.

Bruce Dunning:

We've already had this fight! http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73995.aspx

Posts 28237
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 1:02 PM

Then there are those who emphasize the "hearing" aspect and say that unless you are hard of hearing, you should be listening not following along. Unfortunately few have been trained to listen.

Net result, if Logos were a church and I don't use electronic devices in church then wouldn't services be nice and meditative? (or soaking to use the term of a particular pentecostal church).

I think I can talk myself into this idea.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1616
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 1:56 PM

George Somsel:
There should be a bible and a BCP in the back of the pew in front of you

I have actually been to a morning prayer service at an Episcopal church where someone was using a BCP app on their phone for the service...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Orthodox Silver, Lutheran Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 2:04 PM

Ken McGuire:

George Somsel:

I have actually been to a morning prayer service at an Episcopal church where someone was using a BCP app on their phone for the service...

Obviously heretics

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 2:12 PM

MJ. Smith:

Then there are those who emphasize the "hearing" aspect and say that unless you are hard of hearing, you should be listening not following along. Unfortunately few have been trained to listen.

Net result, if Logos were a church and I don't use electronic devices in church then wouldn't services be nice and meditative? (or soaking to use the term of a particular pentecostal church).

I think I can talk myself into this idea.

I thought about mentioning that possibility, but I didn't think anyone would LISTEN since they were too busy with their electronic media—Oh, that's right, this is electronic media.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 3:20 PM

Lynden Williams:

George Somsel:

What is BCP?

I see no one has answered your question yet, and they've gone on using the acronym BCP. It stands for the Book of Common Prayer, which second to the Bible is the central resource for Anglican/Episcopal worship/liturgy/devotions. It includes a lectionary, rites/services for seasons of the church year and various special occasions, "collects" (which are prayers; "collect" is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable), a calendar of Holy Days, the Psalter marked up for responsive reading, etc.

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 3:20 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Well, at least it was virtual sarcasm. Smile

Posts 9151
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 3:55 PM

Rosie Perera:

Bruce Dunning:

Well, at least it was virtual sarcasm. Smile

I'd like to hear a definition of that. Wink

I should clarify that I don't mind the use of it within limits.

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:09 PM

George Somsel:

What's wrong with people tweeting during service? I think we should encourage them to tweet about the sermon or what the Pastor is saying. Imagine how many more people would get the word? Just imagine that an unsaved friend sees the tweet that the Pastor is preaching a series about how to overcome struggles in life. How many people might come to church because of what their friend posted.

It doesn't matter if we don't like it but we have to face the fact that times and society is changing. it always seems to happen with the younger generation (maybe were just getting old Surprise). Social networking is big and how a lot of information is shared with the younger generation. Maybe instead of pushing against it we should embrace it and figure out how to leverage the capabilities. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:24 PM

Stephen:

George Somsel:

What's wrong with people tweeting during service? I think we should encourage them to tweet about the sermon or what the Pastor is saying. Imagine how many more people would get the word? Just imagine that an unsaved friend sees the tweet that the Pastor is preaching a series about how to overcome struggles in life. How many people might come to church because of what their friend posted.

It doesn't matter if we don't like it but we have to face the fact that times and society is changing. it always seems to happen with the younger generation (maybe were just getting old Surprise). Social networking is big and how a lot of information is shared with the younger generation. Maybe instead of pushing against it we should embrace it and figure out how to leverage the capabilities. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgklHQ52WE

george
gfsomsel

Posts 28237
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:28 PM

Rosie Perera:
no one has answered your question

Now I know "no one" = "Milford" ... posted only since this thread is so OT nothing can rerail it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28237
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:33 PM

Stephen:
What's wrong with people tweeting during service?

To answer that question would place the thread fully in a theological mode and expose how divided we are as to the purpose of worship services. Therefore, this is a question best left unanswered in the Logos forums. And I can't even suggest a simple search to research the issue.

Stephen:
what the Pastor is saying

Although I am very fond of our current pastor, I (and he) rarely care what the pastor is saying ... God and church tend to be our focus both of which can easily be tweeted outside of service and still be up to the millisecondWink for the right now generation.

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:34 PM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
no one has answered your question

Now I know "no one" = "Milford" ... posted only since this thread is so OT nothing can rerail it.

Whoops! I'm so sorry to have overlooked your reply, Milford. You didn't use the acronym in your reply, and I was scanning visually for that, so I missed it.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:40 PM

MJ. Smith:

Stephen:
What's wrong with people tweeting during service?

To answer that question would place the thread fully in a theological mode and expose how divided we are as to the purpose of worship services. Therefore, this is a question best left unanswered in the Logos forums. And I can't even suggest a simple search to research the issue.

Stephen:
what the Pastor is saying

Although I am very fond of our current pastor, I (and he) rarely care what the pastor is saying ... God and church tend to be our focus both of which can easily be tweeted outside of service and still be up to the millisecondWink for the right now generation.

It wouldn't surprise me if many teens would be on TMZ following the latest escapades of Kim Kardasian.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:57 PM

Hi MJ and Rosie!         A sweet *smile* for you!       *smile*

George, where did you get "Beautiful Dreamer"?    Bing Crosbie!  Stephen Foster?!!  Wow ..  right off an old 78, eh?     Actually I liked and enjoyed it ...   but ....

Speaking of teenagers ...  Remember when we couldn't trust anyone over 30  ........      seems like just yesterday, eh???!!!

Please permit me to respectfully disagree with you about teenagers ....

Sorry, George!    *smile*               First time I've disagreed with you for quite a little while ...

Edit:         Although - now - in retrospect - I am not overly fond of Canadian Justin Bieber and would like to disassociate myself from any connect to him .........            although, over against that, wasn't it just last week when the Bobby Sockers or however one would spell that were all hung up with Frank Sinatra???              Will have to think over this whole matter, eh???

Final Edit:             Found it!              Bobby Soxers  .............*smile*              https://www.google.ca/search?q=frank+sinatra+bobby+soxers&hl=en-GB&rlz=1D1GGLD_enCA412CA412&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nV3HUrzkLcnayAHL14HYCw&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1097&bih=555

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS