Snowed in...What to read...

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 5 2014 12:51 PM

Hey everyone,

I know I am not the only person who has done this, but withing the last week I have clean my driveway and walkways six times and I am watching the snow build up again. It is time to relax and just read a book. Beside the Bible, what would you suggest is a good book to just sit back and read?

Posts 8765
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 12:56 PM

I too am waiting for a major snowfall and am doing some Logos work of my own.

A few months ago I really enjoyed reading this - https://www.logos.com/product/2984/in-the-shadow-of-the-temple

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 1:13 PM

Looks like a good read. Thanks.

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 3:12 PM

Or when you are ready for a second Bouteneff, Peter C. Beginnings: Ancient Christian Readings of the Biblical Creation Narratives. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2008.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27000
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 3:27 PM

Mark Prim:
what would you suggest is a good book to just sit back and read?

Sit back and read? Check out Vyrso. Do you have a tablet or kindle?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 5:57 PM

alabama24 - I do have a tablet. It might be rare, but I like to read a little deeper works than novels. (i.e. Systematic Theologies; Grudem, Erickson) Just looking for something really thought provoking.

Posts 1398
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 6:08 PM

Mark Prim:

.... Just looking for something really thought provoking.

this will provoke your thoughts

https://www.logos.com/product/8158/orthodoxy 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 27000
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 6:12 PM

Mark Prim:
I like to read a little deeper works than novels.

Vyrso isn't just "novels," and there is plenty of things which are "thought provoking," but it might not be what you are looking for. If a "little light reading" includes Systematic Theology, you are right to look elsewhere. 

Here is a small list of just a few of the books on sale right now, which <might> be "thought provoking". 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 6:14 PM
Mark Prim:

Hey everyone,

I know I am not the only person who has done this, but withing the last week I have clean my driveway and walkways six times and I am watching the snow build up again. It is time to relax and just read a book. Beside the Bible, what would you suggest is a good book to just sit back and read?

Snowed In? Does the question mean you've finally become bored reading and publishing all of the top secret documents you stole from the NSA before you left the country?
Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 6:15 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/30394/the-messages-of-the-books 

I haven't finished this book, but I have really enjoyed it so far. I had never heard of Farrar until Logos gave this book away. Now I have been seeking out his works. 

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 6:24 PM

Randy Lane:
Mark Prim:

Hey everyone,

Snowed In? Does the question mean you've finally become bored reading and publishing all of the top secret documents you stole from the NSA before you left the country?

LOL

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 6:33 PM

alabama24:
Vyrso isn't just "novels,"

I have all but one of these books and they are pretty good. There have been quite a few books I have received from Vyrso, sorry if I was implying there was nothing else on there.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 7:11 PM

Try a little history.  If you don't know much about the Greek church, I would suggest

Oman, C. W. C. The Byzantine Empire. The Story of the Nations. London; New York: T. Fisher Unwin; G. P. Putnam’s Sons, 1892.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 1:39 AM

Peace to all!            *smile*

Here's an idea for you!    

Light!               Great Humour!                   Free!                        A book I think I'm going to try to read at least once more before the Lord Calls Me Home if I may!          *smile*

A very satisfying little read that is really well-written  ... I found myself quite often with a smile on my face ....

https://www.logos.com/product/583/the-love-affairs-of-a-bibliomaniac

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 12:16 AM

MJ. Smith:

Or when you are ready for a second Bouteneff, Peter C. Beginnings: Ancient Christian Readings of the Biblical Creation Narratives. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2008. 

I'm afraid that will be hard unless he already has it, since it's been removed from Vyrso but is not yet published in Logos. (EDIT: There is paper and Kindle, of course, but I was assuming he wanted suggestions for Logos.)

"A good book to just sit back and read", yet "a little deeper" and "really thought provoking"? Sounds like The Hammer of God: Revised Edtion. (OK, it is a novel, but it's deeper than many theology books.) And I second the suggestion for Chesterton. Peter Kreeft would be good as well, but his collections haven't been broken up yet.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8765
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 3:50 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace to all!            *smile*

Here's an idea for you!    

Light!               Great Humour!                   Free!                        A book I think I'm going to try to read at least once more before the Lord Calls Me Home if I may!          *smile*

A very satisfying little read that is really well-written  ... I found myself quite often with a smile on my face ....

https://www.logos.com/product/583/the-love-affairs-of-a-bibliomaniac

Thanks for this recommendation Milford. Because of it I've added this book to my "Books to Read" list.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1808
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 4:28 AM

thought provoking?

Strange Fire by John MacArthur

if this doesn't provoke you, go drink 4 shots of Monster drink then read the book. Super Angry

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 6:33 AM

Mark, God bless your reading time.  I respectfully suggest - 1776.

http://books.google.com/books/about/1776.html?id=uu1mC6zWNTwC

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS