Alternatives to AYBD? Need advice.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 142
David Medina | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 6 2014 11:47 AM

I am starting to budget for my next purchase. It's going to be Bible Dictionary. I have been reading upon some of the choices and I know many here favor the AYBD. 

Is there a good alternative to the AYBD? My concern is that it is written for more scholarly types and I found its language a bit difficult at times. 

If I were to purchase the AYBD, which other dictionary would you guys and gals recommend as a good compliment?

I already own the ISBE and the IVP series.

I am considering either as a alternative or/and compliment to the AYBD:

• New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology
  • The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis
  • The Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament and New Testament 
  • Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible
  • The New International Dictionary: Old and New Testament 

If there is one I haven't consider but should let me know.

A little background:

I am looking for comprehensive tools to help me go deeper in my Bible study and to prepare to lead Bible studies, specially with people, places and things as well as background. I am not in Seminary, although I do would love to be able to attend but the cost is to high. I am taking as many free courses online as I can.  Nor I am a pastor. I am Evangelical-conservative with Reformed tendencies, So I prefer tools along those lines but I don't mind study different point of views to mine.

Thanks

Posts 222
Justin Cofer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 12:02 PM

They are different kind of tools. Smile The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology is a theological word study set organized around Greek words.  The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis is the same -- its organized around Hebrews words.  The Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament and New Testament is a specialized commentary giving the historical background for particular passages.  The Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible is a conservative encylopedia -- similar to ISBE.  The New International Dictionary: Old and New Testament is simply a package that combines deal that combines New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis.

From your background you are looking to go "...deeper in my Bible study and to prepare to lead Bible studies, specially with people, places and things as well as background."  Something that would do all that is the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible.  Its a bit of an overlap of ISBE though.  The
Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament and New Testament would provide you a different tool that focuses on the historical background.

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 12:14 PM

What Justin said. Of those listed, only the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible is a "bible dictionary."

You may want to put a Pre-Pub order for the New Interpreter's Dictionary.
https://www.logos.com/product/8801/new-interpreters-dictionary-of-the-bible

The AYBD, IVP, ISBE, ZEB, and NID are the only modern multi-volume Bible dictionaries available, to my knowledge. There are several other single volume Bible dictionaries, but I can't imagine they would add much if you already have IVP and ISBE.

Posts 142
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 12:15 PM

Thanks Justin. 

That was my concerned with the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible. It seems like AYBD and ISBE compliment and balance each other well. Based on what I have read, there are topics that the ISBE is light but the AYBD goes deep and there topics that the ANYB does not touch but that the ISBE does. 

That is why I am thinking that the AYBD and the ISBE could be a good set to have. 

And based on your suggestion it seems like adding the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentaries to that set may be a good trio. 

I am trying to avoid too many overlapping resources. 

I considered the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentaries as a possible alternative to AYBD only because my interest is in people, places and things. 

Posts 142
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 12:17 PM

Thanks elnwood, that is what I thought too that only the AYBD and the ZEB were actual dictionaries. I am trying to round off what I have without overlapping and spending wisely.

Thanks

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 2:03 PM

If you are looking for a multi-volume bible dictionary, based on English, the AYBD should do quite well for you.  It should complement the ISBE and IVP works you already have with a different perspective.  The only read competition in this role is the Interpreters Dictionary of the Bible, and while the new one is coming to Logos, it is not yet as established as the Anchor, from what I understand.

If you have biblical languages, there are other works that should serve well too, but a little bit of a language is dangerous.  And if you think that AYBD gets technical, you should see them!  Your knowledge of the Bible will definitely grow as you are exposed to the multiple perspectives in the Anchor.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 142
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2014 2:16 PM

Thanks Ken, you got me. It seems to be everyone consensus. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS