Scholar, Silver, Gold, or Platinum?

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 4:08 PM

Portfolio is a very good buy, but at retail it costs almost twice as much as Platinum does, and it does not provide near twice the book value in dollars.

The cost of Platinum is less than 10% of the total value, but you spend alot more money and pay over 10% with Portfolio.

And the extra books that you pay more for,  are not the kind of books that I think I would buy if I was going to drop an extra 2000 plus dollars.

With Platinum you have the start of a solid library, however it does have some gaps that need to be filled and I do not think the portfolio package fills those gaps.

For example I would buy the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary on sale for 190.00.  I would also want to improve my OT commentary selection.  So I would pick-up the Word Commentary for 400.00 and the Tyndale set for 170.  I would also pick up the Expositors Commentary for 130.  Now my OT section has been improved a lot for very little money.  I would then start looking at filling out my Greek and Hebrew languages.

Sure the Portfolio package is a great deal, but it is missing way too many books that I need to have, if I spend that kind of money on expanding my library.

In other words, I feel that the Platinum is the best buy for a solid library, and until Logos comes out with a larger set that has more of the books that I really want and or need I would just spend that extra money getting the things that would be most useful to me.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 44
Sam Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 4:28 PM

[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

Posts 2
Anthony Hayworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 7:29 PM

I purchased the Gold with two additional packages: The Anchor Bible Dictionary and the Word Biblical Commenatry Set.  The WBC is my primary sermon commentary resourse.  I looked at upgrading and I could not justify what they offered if sermon writting and Bible Study is the focus.

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 12:16 PM

JackCaviness:
I think Logos needs a package titled "Buy the Farm"

Wouldn't a more appropriate name be "sold the farm", because that is the only way you can buy it!?!

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 2:17 PM

I personally went from Scholar to gold back in august.  If you are doing any work with languages that helps.  Also you get the new american commentary I think.  I can't remember all of the resources I received in the upgrade but it was well worth it.  I recently upgraded to platinum however and that jump has been more worth it than any other purchase I have made.  The works of Pink were a big plus, also Bunyan added to the package as well.  The Pillar, Baker and Baker exegetical commentary are worth the price difference not to mention BDAG.  So yes if I had the money platinum is what I would get, it is great.  

Posts 74
James Ogle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 3:18 PM

Going from Leaders to Scholars. With the upgrade price I will have an extra $100. Any suggestions???

I have Ironside, Pink, and MacArthur.

Posts 10671
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 4:48 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

JackCaviness:
I think Logos needs a package titled "Buy the Farm"

Wouldn't a more appropriate name be "sold the farm", because that is the only way you can buy it!?!

By the time Logos develops that package, it will require a really large farm to raise the capital! Geeked

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS