So I need to write a paper on...

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 8 2014 8:30 AM

"What is the role of effort in sanctification". The prof is Southern Baptist. Any resource suggestions? Thanks in advance.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 8:56 AM

abondservant:

The prof is Southern Baptist.

Is this a warning? Stick out tongue Is it supposed to have an impact on the suggestions?

Posts 1332
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:05 AM

I'm reading this book for a Knox seminary class.  A hard read...

G. C. Berkouwer, Faith and Sanctification (trans. John Vriend); Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1952). Available in Logos

Hope this helps.

Peter

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:07 AM

No role whatsoever.

9 Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, 10 thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And this is what some of you used to be. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 6:9–11

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:13 AM

For a comparative look at multiple views, there's the Five Views volume:

https://www.logos.com/product/16625/five-views-on-sanctification

Any number of systemic theologies have chapters on sanctification.  I find Wayne Grudem's discussion to be helpful:

logosres:grudemest;ref=Page.p_753;off=754

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 325
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:15 AM

Here's a book to check out... $4.99 Kindle

Acting the Miracle: God's Work and Ours in the Mystery of Sanctification

http://www.amazon.com/Acting-Miracle-Gods-Mystery-Sanctification-ebook/dp/B00HDQHJ4O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1389201144&sr=8-13&keywords=kevin+deyoung

And this one...

The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness [Kindle Edition]

http://www.amazon.com/Hole-Our-Holiness-Filling-Godliness-ebook/dp/B008DXFH5Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389201561&sr=8-3&keywords=kevin+deyoung

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:15 AM

George Somsel:

No role whatsoever.

9 Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, 10 thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And this is what some of you used to be. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Purely from a language perspective, your quote doesn't (necessarily) support your claim. In fact, one could easily use the quote to suggest the opposite.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:17 AM

David Paul:

George Somsel:

No role whatsoever.

Purely from a language perspective, your quote doesn't support your claim. In fact, one could easily use the quote to suggest the opposite.

What have you been smoking, David?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9967
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:39 AM

I recommend a least ref'ing the sectarian Qumran writings for parallel usage at the time ... not centuries later.

Posts 1048
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:10 AM

I hope your paper goes well! As you work toward writing it, make sure you have a clear definition of sanctification and that you're on the same page as the prof (Baker, ISBE).

Logos Books:

*** Bridges, J. (1978). The pursuit of holiness. Colorado Springs: Navpress. [Link]

Owen, J. (n.d.). The works of John Owen. (W. H. Goold, Ed.) (Vol. 3). Edinburgh: T&T Clark. [Book IV]

Ryle, J. C. (1889). Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties and Roots. London: William Hunt and Company. [Link]

Chapell, B. (2001). Holiness by grace : delighting in the joy that is our strength. Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books. [Link]

Those are more personal than scholarly, but shouldn't that be the nature of sanctification?

These ones might be more worthy for a paper:

Pink, A. W. (2005). The doctrine of sanctification. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software. [Link]

Swindoll, C. R., & Zuck, R. B. (2003). Understanding Christian theology. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers. [VII Sanctification]

Someone already mentioned Grudem [Chapter 38]

Outside Logos: I enjoyed the 2010 Conference for Pastors [http://www.desiringgod.org/conference-messages/by-series/2010-conference-for-pastors]

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:24 AM

George Somsel:

Myself, George (Rom. 12:1) ...ergo my statement above.

Posts 27275
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:47 AM

abondservant:

"What is the role of effort in sanctification". The prof is Southern Baptist. Any resource suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I would recommend any number of books associated with Renovaré. The authors to look for are Dallas Willard, Richard Foster, and James Bryan Smith. One quote from Willard (a Southern Baptist):

Dallas Willard:

Once we learn that grace is not opposed to effort (action)—though it is opposed to earning (attitude)—the way is open for us to “work out” all that is involved in our salvation, not only “with fear and trembling” but also with the calm assurance that it is God who is at work in us to accomplish all of His goodwill (see Philippians 2:12–13).

The Great Omission

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:49 AM

George is correct, sanctification is just as much a work of grace as justification. The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification is one sale right now and it does a masterful job of making this clear.

https://www.logos.com/product/6215/the-gospel-mystery-of-sanctification

"Christians are saved by grace, but how is that salvation manifested in daily life? Sanctification deals with this process of salvation—being united with Christ, living a holy life, and growing in obedience to God.

The Gospel-Mystery of Sanctification has become one of the most influential works on the subject. First published in 1692, Walter Marshall’s treatise has been reprinted continually for more than four hundred years. Generations of Christians have drawn wisdom and inspiration from it, and countless theologians have been influenced by Marshall’s classic work. John Murray called it “the most important book on sanctification ever written” and J. I. Packer has written that it is among the best books written on the Reformed doctrine of sanctification.

Marshall’s work is divided into fourteen sections—each one describing a direction toward Christian holiness. Each section contains a detailed explanation, and draws from Scripture to provide practical insight for daily Christian living."

Posts 9866
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:55 AM

Steve Farson:

And this one...

The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness [Kindle Edition]

http://www.amazon.com/Hole-Our-Holiness-Filling-Godliness-ebook/dp/B008DXFH5Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389201561&sr=8-3&keywords=kevin+deyoung

it seems your link isn't working, and I refrain from making it work in my quote, since this link is much better: https://vyrso.com/product/26082/the-hole-in-our-holiness-filling-the-gap-between-gospel-passion-and-the-pursuit-of-godliness 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 11:10 AM

George Somsel:

David Paul:

George Somsel:

No role whatsoever.

Purely from a language perspective, your quote doesn't support your claim. In fact, one could easily use the quote to suggest the opposite.

Hey now, chill out please, I need resource advice not theological infighting. Thanks for pointing out one of the key verses George.

Thanks to everyone whose pointed out some great resources also. I am making a list. I have some of them in print also (grudem for instance). I think I may have the 5 views book... I know I had to read that when I was in my undergrad program; but that may have been a title I borrowed.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 11:44 AM

Keith Larson:

George is correct, sanctification is just as much a work of grace as justification. 

The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification is one sale right now and it does a masterful job of making this clear.

Since George said that effort plays no part whatsoever in sanctification, that would mean no effort is necessary. Marshall doesn't seem to agree...

DIRECTION I

That we may acceptably perform the duties of Holiness, and Righteousness required in the law, our first work is, to learn the powerful and effectual means whereby we may attain to so great an end.

My work is, to shew how the duties of this law may be done, when they are known: therefore expect not that I should delay my intent, to help you to the knowledge of them, by any large exposition of them; which is a work already performed in several catechisms and commentaries. Yet, that you may not miss the mark, for want of discerning it, take notice, in a few words, that the holiness which I would bring you to is spiritualRom. 7:14. It consists not only in external works of pietyand charity, but in the holy thoughts, imaginations, and affections of the soul, and chiefly in love; from whence all other good works must flow, or else they are not acceptable to God, not only in refraining the execution of sinful lusts, but in longing and delighting to do the will of God, and in a cheerful obedience to a God, without repining, fretting, grudging at any duty, as if it were a grievous yoke and burden to you.

That is the FIRST page of the book!

Grace is deceitful. Prov. 31:30.

Posts 1048
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:05 PM

For all the discussion that's happening--this is the reason I love Bridges book (Pursuit of Holiness). Here's the Preface:

A farmer plows his field, sows the seed, and fertilizes and cultivates—all the while knowing that in the final analysis he is utterly dependent on forces outside of himself. He knows he cannot cause the seed to germinate, nor can he produce the rain and sunshine for growing and harvesting the crop. For a successful harvest, he is dependent on these things from God.
     Yet the farmer knows that unless he diligently pursues his responsibilities to plow, plant, fertilize, and cultivate, he cannot expect a harvest at the end of the season. In a sense he is in a partnership with God, and he will reap its benefits only when he has fulfilled his own responsibilities.
Farming is a joint venture between God and the farmer. The farmer cannot do what God must do, and God will not do what the farmer should do.
We can say just as accurately that the pursuit of holiness is a joint venture between God and the Christian. No one can attain any degree of holiness without God working in his life, but just as surely no one will attain it without effort on his own part. God has made it possible for us to walk in holiness. But He has given to us the responsibility of doing the walking; He does not do that for us.
     We Christians greatly enjoy talking about the provision of God, how Christ defeated sin on the cross and gave us His Holy Spirit to empower us to victory over sin. But we do not as readily talk about our own responsibility to walk in holiness. Two primary reasons can be given for this.
First, we are simply reluctant to face up to our responsibility. We prefer to leave that to God. We pray for victory when we know we should be acting in obedience.
     The second reason is that we do not understand the proper distinction between God’s provision and our own responsibility for holiness. I struggled for a number of years with the question, “What am I to do myself, and what am I to rely on God to do?” Only as I came to see what the Bible teaches on this question, and then faced up to my own responsibility, did I see any progress in the “pursuit of holiness.”
The title for this book comes from the biblical command, “Pursue holiness, for without holiness no one will see the Lord” (Hebrews 12:14, author’s paraphrase). The word pursue suggests two thoughts: first, that diligence and effort are required; and second, that it is a lifelong task. These two thoughts form a dual theme throughout this book. While seeking to set forth clearly and accurately God’s provision for our holiness, I have deliberately stressed our responsibility, feeling that this is an emphasis sorely needed among Christians today. At the same time I have sought to emphasize that holiness is a process, something we never completely attain in this life. Rather, as we begin to conform to the will of God in one area of life, He reveals to us our need in another area. That is why we will always be pursuing—as opposed to attaining—holiness in this life.
     In addition to my own personal Bible study on the subject of holiness, I have profited greatly from the writings of the Puritans—and those who followed in their school of thought—on the subject of holiness. On numerous occasions I have quoted directly from them and have so indicated in the appropriate footnotes. In other instances their phraseology has crept into my own manner of expression. This is particularly true of the writings of John Owen and of Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones of London, both of whose writings on this subject have been of invaluable personal blessing.
     I do not profess to know all about this subject, nor can I claim all that much personal progress. Many times while writing this book I have had to first make application to my own life. But what I have discovered has been of invaluable help to me in my own pursuit of holiness, and I trust will be of help to all who read it.
     To explore more fully the scriptural principles of holiness, which I studied in writing this book, I encourage the reader to work through A Bible Study on the Pursuit of Holiness, which is published by NavPress as a companion to this book.
   Finally, I want to express my thanks to Mrs. Peggy Sharp and Miss Linda Dicks, who patiently typed and retyped the various drafts of the manuscript.

Bridges, J. (1978). The pursuit of holiness (p. 9). Colorado Springs: Navpress.

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:11 PM

David Paul:

Keith Larson:

George is correct, sanctification is just as much a work of grace as justification. 

The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification is one sale right now and it does a masterful job of making this clear.

Since George said that effort plays no part whatsoever in sanctification, that would mean no effort is necessary. Marshall doesn't seem to agree...

DIRECTION I

That we may acceptably perform the duties of Holiness, and Righteousness required in the law, our first work is, to learn the powerful and effectual means whereby we may attain to so great an end.

My work is, to shew how the duties of this law may be done, when they are known: therefore expect not that I should delay my intent, to help you to the knowledge of them, by any large exposition of them; which is a work already performed in several catechisms and commentaries. Yet, that you may not miss the mark, for want of discerning it, take notice, in a few words, that the holiness which I would bring you to is spiritualRom. 7:14. It consists not only in external works of pietyand charity, but in the holy thoughts, imaginations, and affections of the soul, and chiefly in love; from whence all other good works must flow, or else they are not acceptable to God, not only in refraining the execution of sinful lusts, but in longing and delighting to do the will of God, and in a cheerful obedience to a God, without repining, fretting, grudging at any duty, as if it were a grievous yoke and burden to you.

That is the FIRST page of the book!

Grace is deceitful. Prov. 31:30.

Sanctification is being set apart for God.  It is not how good you are.  The Tent of Meeting and the High Priests in the OT were considered to be set apart to God (Exodus 29:38-46; Exodus 28:36–38).  Jesus set himself apart for God (Jn 17.19).  God sets apart his people for himself (Jn 17.16-17).  We do not sanctify ourselves by becoming better. 

george
gfsomsel

Posts 884
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:14 PM

Keith Larson:

The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification is one sale right now and it does a masterful job of making this clear.

The beauty of having the resource in Logos is the cross referencing, tagging, etc.  If you just want a quick review, it's available in PDF format for free on the web, for instance here.

--Bro. Mark

"I read dead people..."

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:58 PM

Coincidentally, Five Views of Sanctification is the book I brought to work with me today. Smile

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS