Windows Phone

Page 3 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 96 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 28
He Is Lord! | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 12:23 PM

If that is your thought process Bama, then every time Apple comes out with an OS update that means the OS being updated was a "total failure".  You best rethink your logic.  It doesn't add up.

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:12 PM

Richard W. Healy, Jr:

If that is your thought process Bama, then every time Apple comes out with an OS update that means the OS being updated was a "total failure".  You best rethink your logic.  It doesn't add up.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but you are simply misinformed. Every time Apple releases a new version, adoption rates are extremely high. The same isn't true for windows. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 32
OCGF1 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:12 PM

Apple has never sold even 100 million of anything.  Even total combined sales they don't add up to 100 mil.  So here is Microsoft selling 200 Million copies of just Windows 8 alone out of all their products and they are called an utter failure?  What in the world is that?  What bias!  During nearly the worst economy in history Microsoft sells 200 Million copies and because they didn't 100% of there customers to upgrade that constitutes failure hahahah!  What other company, including Apple has ever gotten 100% of their customers to by or upgrade to the next level or version of any of their products?  Rich you're right!  What kind of thinking is going on here with this mind set?  Yikes! Down right scary.

• Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center
  • AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
  • OCZ DDR2 8Gb
  • Logos 5
  • Proclaim
Posts 32
OCGF1 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:24 PM

Sorry, I stand corrected,  Apple has sold more than 100 million combined sales of iphones and ipads.  But still less then 200 and still only a total combined sales amount of about 316 million in its history.

• Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center
  • AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
  • OCZ DDR2 8Gb
  • Logos 5
  • Proclaim
Posts 4654
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:52 PM

I think Bama tried to redirect the discussion back to the original topic and I will try as well. The thread title is "Windows Phone" and the original topic was a discussion about Logos plans to develop a more robust RT and Windows phone app. Somehow it has evolved into a discussion about Windows 8/8.1 as compared to the Mac.

Logos is fully committed to both the Windows desktop platform as well as the Mac platform. They are not interested spending time or money developing anything for RT or Windows mobile platform. Bob made the reason for this strategy very clear, market share (or lack of) in the RT and Windows phone market.

Several of you have commented on your Surface Pros. If you have a Surface Pro then you can run the full Windows version of Logos. If you have the surface with an RT platform or a windows phone you're out of luck. I would guess this will not change as Microsoft has all but abandoned the RT platform and it will likely disappear over the next few years. Why have they done that? Because the market has not responded positively to it. Had the response been different, then the platform would have a different future and Logos would probably have different plans.

By the way, I am a diehard windows user all the way back to it's original release. I liked Win 98, Win XP was great and Win 7 is awesome. I actually purchased Win 8.1 and have it sitting on a virtual shelf. I'll stick with Win 7 and wait to see what Win 9 looks like.

We have beaten this horse until it was dead twice. Can we put it to rest?

Posts 28
He Is Lord! | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 9 2014 6:58 PM

You have all the answers and are always right. My original issue with Logo is that I have invested much time and finances into the product and now that they have my money they have changed the rules and become Apple minions. I haven't bought anything from Logos since they have made this decision and probably won't as long as this attitude remains.  Apparently this has become about money which is too bad because I was always of the understanding that their mission was to promote Bible study and glorify God in the process.  Unfortunate.

Posts 81
Ps3 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 10 2014 9:46 AM

What Logos fails to realize is that RT is the new windows platform.  This transition has been going on since XP migrated to Vista.  I believe that is why Vista had the type of problems that it did.  It was the beginning of the shift.  Now it's obvious that 7 is the updated Vista with the bugs worked out and now 8 is the new RT based interface that holds all things Windows.  Including Windows 7 which is a 'window' within RT. So, let's get the one RT app that Logos has already begun to develop up to speed so that you don't have a poor quality app sitting in the Windows Store.  It already works on all things Windows 8 because all Windows 8 devices support RT.  That includes Phone 8, laptops, tablets, desktops, and probably new mobile products currently under development.  Then keep Bob from making insulting and inflammatory remarks about the "non Apple" Scrap users and everyone can be content.  (Nice save by the way, editing his comments after someone realized how unprofessional they were).

And Richard is right. Logos has become more about money then ministry and is definitely an 'Apple pushing' organization that seems to care less about it's existing customers.  Most software companies listen to it's users and develop in a way to enhance and make them more productive. (At least when they're small anyway)  But clearly at Logos, They're big enough now that unless you use Apple products your' re seen as a "scrap user".  How did Bob put it?... "Android is getting the scraps. (People who won't pay Apple's price / hate Apple / want to be different / etc.) There's nothing left for Windows Phone". well, that about sums it up.  By the way, people are leaving Apple for the scraps and many of them are going to WP8. Especially those who get it. 

• Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Surface Pro
  • Windows Phone Denim
  • Logos 5 Gold
  • Proclaim
Posts 46
Terry Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 2:45 PM

Aloha and good morning all

Yes it is still morning here in paradise.

I am going to have to add my voice and vote for a Windows Phone version of Logos.

I currently use an iPhone 4.  But would dearly like to be off it.

I moved to iOS when my old WinMo 6.1 (HTC Touch Pro 2) phone died.  The only supported platform then for my mobile Bible app (Laridian Pocket Bible) was iOS..  So I went to Apple (albeit kicking and screaming).

So Logos - please give us a Windows Phone version/thank you.

Posts 64
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 8:40 PM

I am with you Richard I have a Windows Phone 8 phone soon to be upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 and this is the future. I remember about 5 years ago telling people that android was going to become the number one phone OS on the market and people kept buying iPhones. At that time software companies were hesitant to make Android versions of their applications and look Android is now 70-some percent of the market world wide. Now with all the updates and features Microsoft is bringing into the Windows Phone OS I see windows quickly reaching more than 10 percent of the market world wide and slowly passing iOS to second place within the next few years. People seem to go with what is popular without ever considering other options. I see what people where doing with the iPhone doing now with the Samsung Galaxy S Series phones. They go to the phone store and don't even bother looking at other Android Phones such as the HTC or the LG even though there is no fundamental difference between any of them. I hope Logo's jumps on this ASAP and supports the Windows Phone platform because it is emerging quickly. 

Diego

Posts 64
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 8:59 PM

I was shocked when I saw this comment by bob too "People who won't pay Apple's price / hate Apple / want to be different / etc.". Basically he saying that anyone who buys Android is only buying it because they are poor and broke. And what is wrong with wanting to be different and not simply following the crowd. This gives me the idea that Logos is an apple fanboy organization that looks down on PC users. I have a Windows 8 PC an Android Tablet and a Windows Phone 8 phone. They refuse to create a Windows Phone version of their application because there is not much money to be made on it but what they fail to see is that just because we own a Windows Phone does not mean we aren't able to run the program on our laptop's or tablet. If I would have known that Logo's does not have any plans to support Windows Phone I would have gone with a different company. I have bought various extra libraries which is money they could be losing because I may not make future purchases anymore and go with something else instead. I am not going to switch cell phones just because of Logos when there is other companies creating programs for the Windows Phone. 

Logos needs to look at the common denominator that people who own Windows Phones also own Window's PC's and those are sales they may lose

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 12 2014 1:28 PM

Diego Lara:
This gives me the idea that Logos is an apple fanboy organization that looks down on PC users.

Really? That must be a first.Smile Logos didn't even have a Mac version 4 years ago, and the one they now have is still behind the PC version, and in many ways behave like a PC program rather than a Mac program.

Hint: Bob (the CEO) used to work for Microsoft...Wink

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 46
Terry Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 15 2014 3:53 PM

Aloha and good afternoon

I too, am anxious to see a Windows Phone version of Logos.  I will be switching from an iPhone 4 to a Nokia Lumia Icon in the very near future.  And hope that a compatible version of Logos will become available.  Until then I can make do with my Laridian.

With the stability of the Windows Phone OS and the improvements Microsoft continues to make, their market share can only continue to grow.

PS - I am also going to dump my first generation iPad and go with a Surface Pro 2.

Mahalo and God Bless

Terry

Posts 46
Terry Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 19 2014 10:40 PM

For some inexplicable reason, I updated my iPhone to ios 7.1 today.  oops.  Do not like this new interface.  And I had to hunt for some settings to ensure they were still set.  Finally got everything back to the way I like it.

Some good did come of it though.  I will be making the move to Windows Phone much sooner, than originally planned.  Downside, no Logos on my new device (for now anyway).  Are ylisting ending Logos? (hint, hint, wink wink, beg beg)

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 12:30 AM

After using a Windows CE PDA for several years, I purchased my first smartphone in 2004 which ran Windows Mobile 2003.  I made it through four different Windows Mobile devices before I gladly switched to Android when the T-Mobile G1 was released as the first Android device.  My wife and I have used more than a dozen Android phones and tablets since 2008.

All of this is to give some history when I say that I am seriously considering switching to Windows Phone 8/8.1 in the next week or so.  I am also seriously considering dumping my current Nexus tablet for an 8" full Windows 8.1 tablet (i.e. Dell Venue 8 Pro, Asus Vivotab Note 8). 

Currently I'm using my Nexus tablet as my primary Scripture source on Sundays and the Android "Bible" app from Logos is excellent.  I have tried using my Yoga 2 Pro in tablet mode with the "Bible" app from the Windows store, but it is simply a terrible piece of software.  I am now using an alternative from another provider when I use the Yoga 2 Pro in tablet mode (which I’ve started using as my daily Scripture reading tablet). 

I understand and respect that Logos does not wish to invest in Windows Phone.  That said, I refuse to let Logos' decision influence my mobile platform choices.  I don't know if that decision will actually have any meaningful impact on my Logos purchases, but the lack of a credible Windows store app certainly opens up that possibility.  Add to that the poor touch support in Logos 5, and there are some serious holes in Logos’ mobile strategy.  I’ll give license to Logos however that they may be working out some of those issues for release in Logos 6.

I'm not going to say that Windows Phone is here to stay like the OP, but the winds are definitely changing and I see Microsoft doing some interesting things with the WP platform.   The year-over-year growth for WP is encouraging and it is increasing in market share (albeit slowly).  Improvements to the platform via Update 3 now allow for larger screens and devices with greater differentiation.  Cortana is looking promising as an alternative to Siri and Google Now.  Software support is increasing daily.  I hear many of the same arguments against WP that were levied against Android in the beginning.  For me however, the one fact that most encourages me about WP is that Ballmer is gone.    

Several years ago I read a very interesting article that argued that the then current number of mobile platforms was unsustainable.  The prediction at the time was that only three viable mobile platforms would survive.  Although that article picked Symbian, Blackberry and iOS to “win” and gave Android little chance of success, the overall analysis was sound.   There is room for a third mobile OS to succeed, if for no other reason that it gives device manufacturers more leverage with the carriers and with Apple and Google.  I understand Logos’ hesitation to invest in WP due to Microsoft’s past bumbling mobile strategy (or lack thereof), but the current signs of growth are very promising. 

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 3:46 AM

Erik:
 I understand and respect that Logos does not wish to invest in Windows Phone. 

For clarification: Logos has not decided "not to invest in Windows Phone." Rather they have decided to "wait and see" if it becomes a viable platform. If it does, they will absolutely invest in it. 

Posts 2828
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 7:23 AM

alabama24:

[If you are really thinking about leaving Logos over your Nokia phone, you have drunk more MSFT Kool-Aid than I have the Apple Cider. Stick out tongue

You just gotta love the good ole boy from Alabama, though he sojourns now in a distant foreign land.

I usually prefer the MSFT koolaid (love my Surface Pro 2 over the iPad), but I ain't giving up my family's 3 iPhones.

And I would still be using Logos if they did not support any mobile platform.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 28
He Is Lord! | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 7:53 AM

Actually, to "wait and see" is "not investing".  Think about it.

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 2:26 PM

There is no pleasing some people Richard. Wink

Logos has not decided that they WILL NOT invest in windows mobile. They have decided to WAIT to make a better decision. If it were up to me, I would scrap windows and android both and devote my attention to iOS and OSX... But that would be an emotional decision and probably not a very wise business one. When Logos feels that investing in windows mobile makes sense, they will jump in. 

Personally, I have been thankful that God answered "not now" at times... But the waiting is the hardest part. 

Posts 5148
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 21 2014 3:13 PM

Diego Lara:
And what is wrong with wanting to be different and not simply following the crowd.

By sticking with my iPhone I am being different and not following the Android crowd.  I can't say I'll never switch to Android or WIndows phone but right now not a chance.  Equally switching from my Windows PC to a Mac - not a chance at this point in time.  I don't know about the future.  And I love my iPad mini, wouldn't switch to a Nexus, Samsung or any other tablet - though at some point if the price is right I would consider switch from a desktop PC to a Surface Pro.

Logos will loose some individual customers due to their choice of not seeing a mobile windows app as a good investment of their resources at this point in time. But they will have done there numbers and they have deemed at this point in time they have not reached break-even point  or where that loss is going to impact them dramatically - demand has not yet reached the point where supply is willing to meet it.

I wish they had a fully functioning windows app so that users had the choice, and I had the choice if the day came that I wanted to move away from apple mobile devices, right now Android is my only alternative. I am thankful that Android app is now on par with iOS app so that I do at least have an alternative.  Reality though is basic economics needs to rule business decisions.  Yes at times risks must be taken, but there must be good business case for taking that risk with a good potential for a return on investment and right now Logos is indicating there is not a good enough business case to take that risk with a full windows store app. Till that changes I respect your disappointment and your choice to purchase your digital bible resources from whomever you decide is the best to suit your needs.  But I also get  Logos current decison and don't want Logos to make business decisions based on emotion.

Posts 28
He Is Lord! | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:22 AM

If "Wait and See" is Bob's business model regarding the Windows Phone app (as he has openly stated and has every right to do) then why not adopt it as the customer business model for any future Logos purchases, which is our right to do.  As my friend from Alabama has suggested were aren't saying as customers we won't invest in Logos in the future just not until we see some progress and investing by Logos in the customer's desire/want/need, which should be a significant part of the decision since without the customer there is no Logos, regarding the Windows Phone app.  I am not throwing stones just making a consumer's observation.

Page 3 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS