What is your annotation/highlighting strategy?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 9
Zachary Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:24 PM

I use mine almost identically. For highlights I have a Bible palette and a non-Bible palette.

My Bible palette has highlights for 'Word(s) of Interest', 'Studied' etc.
My Non-Bible highlights have three generic purpose highlights: 'General Interest', 'Excellent', 'Quotes' and will add more as needed.

For notes, for each non-bible/commentary resource I will create a note at the table of contents level for each chapter and write notes for each chapter using those notes and reserve the text for highlights. I do create a new note file for each book using a 'Recourse Study' layout named after that recourse..
For my Bible notes I am unsure if I will use a note at each verse, or create a note at the chapter level and work from there. Regardless, they are all kept in a 'Bible Study' notes document

I use clippings for topics such as the 'Trinity' or 'Moravian Church' (most recent) as a repository of quotes and notes on those topics.

I am working on using Word Lists somehow with my 'Word(s) of Interest' Highlight.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2014 8:38 PM

My favorite Logos feature is visual filter highlighting so can see range of Greek verbal expression in Greek, English, and Spanish:

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters

For notes, am working on an intertextuality set with more allusions => OT Quotes in NT: follow-up

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 5:43 PM

I've played around with visual filters, but stopped using them.  Perhaps if I was stronger in original languages I'd be more inclined to use them more.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 5:56 PM

Ward Walker:

I've played around with visual filters, but stopped using them.  Perhaps if I was stronger in original languages I'd be more inclined to use them more.

Why in the world would you want to do that?  Tongue Tied

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:13 PM

Joseph Turner:
"What do you mark?  Why?  and How?"

I've read through this thread -gleaning some tips here and there- and came up with this palette.

I am going to try using a new note for each resource, as many have recommended.  I'm liking putting labels in capsules for further annotation. 

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 8947
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2015 5:17 AM

James Taylor:

I've read through this thread -gleaning some tips here and there- and came up with this palette.

I am going to try using a new note for each resource, as many have recommended.  I'm liking putting labels in capsules for further annotation. 

Thanks for sharing. I would be interested in hearing you report back on this after you have been trying to use if for a while.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4
Karen Koppenaal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2015 1:21 PM

Does anyone know how I can copy (bible)texts including the highlighting to Word?

I like to use the highlighting tool, but in the end I want to copy this to another document, I don't manage to include the highlights in copying.

I hope you can help.

Regards,

Karen

Posts 1257
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2015 2:04 PM

Karen Koppenaal:

Does anyone know how I can copy (bible)texts including the highlighting to Word?

Shalom Karen!

I'm afraid this is not possible. See the following thread:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/89363.aspx

Posts 4
Karen Koppenaal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2015 2:29 PM

Thank you.

So printing to pdf is the solution. That will help me, didn't think about this simple solution.

Regards,
Karen

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2015 4:54 PM

I use screen clippings to put my highlighted sections into my Word.  I've used a number of tools to do that, but have settled on OneNote's Screen Clippings because it is always running on my system.

Posts 51
DrGregWaddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 21 2017 8:18 PM

I just created a system of highlights based on the Socio-Rhetorical method of Scripture analysis (the the inner texture part). Since this is primarily for preparing an exegesis of a passage, I create the notes only in one Bible, that way they don't clutter up my reading Bibles.

Here is the highlighting scheme:

Here is an example of these highlights are work.

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 22 2017 6:24 AM

DrGregWaddell:
I just created a system of highlights based on the Socio-Rhetorical method of Scripture analysis (the the inner texture part).

Can you tell me more about the Socio-Rhetorical Method? Is there a resource that explains it?

Can you share the highlighting styles (for example here)?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 22 2017 7:12 AM

DrGregWaddell:

Here is an example of these highlights are work.

Propositional Outlines use indentation for parallelism and repetition along with proposition of Speech for narration:

Screen shot also has Precept => more inductive symbols and Greek Morphology filters to "see" range of verbal expression => Examples of visual filters plus Discourse Features (Greek) for background and emphasis.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 22 2017 9:12 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Geo Philips:
I used to do resource-specific highlighting but found it too unwieldy to maintain after some time. Now I just stick to palette-specific notes and use the search functions to find resource-specific annotations.

I find that it is totally the opposite for me. It is unwieldy to have palette-specific notes as they become totally mixed up for future reference. But to each their own.

I am still debating this. Right now, I am using palette-specific notes files and like that I don't have that many notes files. 

Posts 176
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 22 2017 11:28 AM

I use a traffic light system - red for things I disagree with, yellow for ok with caveats, green for I like.

I use the symbols to categorise them for importance - the more sides the more important.  Triangle is not very important, square is moderately important, star is the most important.  

This is simple but I find a helpful starting point.

Posts 51
DrGregWaddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 23 2017 6:58 AM

Schumitinu:

Probably the best introduction to it is Vernon Robbins' Exploring the Texture of Texts.

https://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Texture-Texts-Socio-Rhetorical-Interpretations/dp/1563381834/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490277461&sr=8-3&keywords=socio-rhetorical+criticism

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 23 2017 10:59 PM

DrGregWaddell:

Thanks, I'll look at it

Posts 440
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 24 2017 1:23 AM

This is a great thread. Here is my two-pence to the discussion.

---

The aim behind my system is two-fold.

1. to save time by having all my notes interconnected across all resources
  2. by having all my notes interconnected, and by leveraging the power of logos, I am creating a powerful, yet very personal journal-come-study bible that I always have access to whenever or wherever I need it.

Firstly, the Bible. I don't use a highlight scheme with scripture since I use the Greek and Hebrew Morphology Visual Filter - slightly modified to include words that only appear once in scripture (hapax legomenons). Instead I use a thematic colour coded note icon system that has its own document called 'Bible Reading Notes'. I also use a yellow note icon to record sermon notes on Sunday's when I'm not preaching or conferences notes based on a bible passage.

I always attach these notes to the references so that they appear in all bible versions and other resources too (eg. commentaries, lexicons, etc.). I'll often copy block quotes from related resources into the notes too. For example:

Secondly, I use this same notation system for non-bible reading also. Colour-coded themes remain the same, but this time I store notes in a document called 'General reading notes'. These notes tend to be things that have 'jumped out' at me, sparked an idea or gotten me thinking, and/or explanations/clarifications. The notes serve the purpose of recording these thoughts and reflections so that they are not lost. Where the writer references a verse I attach this to the note, and any verse that I think are relevant. For example,

Finally, I use a general purpose highlighter to mark-up the key points or summaries of the writers argument. This saves huge amounts of time in the future when referring back to a resource under a time pressure (eg. sermon/study prep). These go into a document called 'highlighting'.

Inspired by the ideas in this thread I might bring in a second colour for things I am not sure of and need to research further and things I disagree with.

This note taking system is still in its infancy, I began in January when I took the plunge and decided to do the majority of my bible reading on Logos. However, my hope is that the system will become more diverse, exhaustive, powerful as I complete successive yearly reading plans, personal bible reading, sermon preparation, and general theological reading.

Liam

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 440
    Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 1:04 AM

bump

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 236
    John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 27 2017 9:03 AM

I use Yellow and Orange if I want a new highlight adjacent to an existing one.  I use Pink for lists.  

When I first began highlighting in my paper Bible years ago, my strategy was mainly to make the Bible look well read in case someone looked over my shoulder at church!  Turns out I wasn't the only one.

Ha!

http://babylonbee.com/news/spirituality-directly-linked-amount-highlighting-bible/

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS