Limit Bible Reference Search

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 215
Tim | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:00 AM

I seem to recall hearing/seeing somewhere that it is possible to limit searches by Bible references. For example: if I want to search for books/journals that talk about Psalm 4, I used <Ps 4>, but then I also get returns where Psalm 1-49 have been tagged, which is really not helpful when I am specifically looking for things about Psalm 4. Is there a way to search using reference ranges where the searched passage is not included in a larger reference range, but to still include references within the short range i.e. Psalm:4:1-8 would return hits for Psalm 4:4 but without hits on Psalm 1-49?

Posts 511
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:08 AM

Absolutely. Use <bible= ps4:4>

Posts 511
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:15 AM

To add more: <bible= ps4:1-8> will only return hits for that range. You have to do a search for each verse separately to get what you want, (like I did above) if I am understand what you are asking, and unless someone else chimes in with more knowledge.

Posts 215
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 11:42 AM

David, Thank you for the response. 

The difficulty is handling short ranges while excluding long ranges. I certainly want any hits on references that fall within Psalm 4, which might be individual verses (Psalm 4:4 was just an example) or may be short ranges such as Psalm 4:3-4, or Psalm 4:2-7, however I want to exclude longer ranges that happen to include Psalm 4, such as the previously given example of Psalm 1-19. Searching with the " = " only pulls up specific references to that verse without the range, but removing the " = " gives too broad of a return. I am just looking for the possibility of something in between these two.

As ever with searching, this is a matter of finding relevant information while limiting false positives that waste time. 

Posts 21635
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 11:51 AM

Hi Tim

Use <bible subset Ps 4:2-7>

For more options see the section on "Using Operators with References" at http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help

Graham

Posts 215
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 12:06 PM

Graham,

Thank you very much. That was exactly what I was trying to achieve. I am familiar with many of the operators, although I could not think of the right terminology for them. I will browse the page you linked to refresh my memory on others. Thanks again!

-Tim

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS