Hear your favorite speaker, in person, for free

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 9:57 AM

Jim Wait:
Gordon Fee

Sadly, Gordon Fee is not able to take speaking engagements anymore. He's in declining health.

But some of his younger colleagues from Regent College would be excellent speakers to invite, if they have time: Rikk Watts (NT), Mariam Kamell (NT), Iain Provan (OT), Phil Long (OT), John Stackhouse (Theology & Culture), Sarah Williams (Church History), Don Lewis (Church History), Bruce Hindmarsh (History & Spiritual Theology), Iwan Russell-Jones (Theology & the Arts) are some of the great speakers/teachers Regent has.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 10:54 AM

Southeastern's chapel can seat 2000 IIRC. But I am not in a position to make that happen. You'd want to talk to Danny Akin. While we are discussing Akin, we should pull his systematic theology into Logos as well. It is a book every student is required to read... Logos has a lot of draws for students... Emphasizing the greek tools, student pricing, and perhaps giving away a library... Further, I know Akin's theology books is one that is required reading for every student. We cover it in its entirety in three classes.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 12:09 PM

RayDeck3:

We want to launch a series of free-to-attend events hosted by local churches, featuring a Bible teacher and a 15-minute demonstration of Logos.

Logos has contacts among some of the most skilled and sought-after Bible teachers in the world. Logos also has contact with many churches who would love to host those same Bible teachers, so we'd like to help facilitate the connection.

• The speaker wouldn't have to do any self-promotion. They just show up and speak.
  • The host church wouldn't have to shoulder a big expense to bring in a new speaker, because Logos covers the bill.
  • Logos gets to introduce a whole crowd of people to tech-powered Bible study at once.

I think it would be a great experience for everyone. What do you think?

You already know that Logos is all about getting as many people as possible doing personal Bible study. With new projects like Mobile Ed and this initiative, we also want to get as many people as possible under the teaching of Scripture.  

The event might look like this:

• 15 minutes: preliminaries & speaker introduction
  • 1 hour: speaker
  • 15 minutes: Logos demonstration
  • 15 minutes: break
  • 1 hour: speaker Part 2
  • 15 minutes: closing 
  • 3 hours total | 6–9 p.m. (suggested)

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

What speakers would you want to hear?

Would your church be interested in hosting an event like this?

For me to allow a speaker to come in, the speaker will need to have the same theological understanding as I have (Lutheran).  Saying this, I would love to have Mark Allan Powell speak.  I love his books and he is a great speaker.

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 2:13 PM

abondservant:
While we are discussing Akin, we should pull his systematic theology into Logos as well.

Good suggestion. I'll put through the request.

I've started the ball rolling on 4 events. Any other takers?

RD3

Logos Marketing | ray.deck@logos.com

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 22 2014 3:03 PM

I attend a small church and we don't have the resources for this but I would love to see a schedule of who, where, when as they get set up. I'm in the Washington DC are so i would be interested in attending on if they come to this area. I also like the idea of having it as a webinar streamed over the internet.

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 4:37 PM

Ray, we are small but I am asking around....which speakers would want to travel to a small venue in Rhode Island/MA area I wonder?

Posts 2067
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2014 5:38 PM

I don't really have a voice at my church, but if you're reaching out...

Eagle's Landing First Baptist Church, McDonough, GA

Contacts Page

Posts 890
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 4:57 AM

Ray, Since you haven't acknowledged the suggestions for simulcasting the proposed events over the internet, I'm wondering if you would mind commenting on whether that venue is or isn't under consideration.

Thanks! --Bro. Mark

"I read dead people..."

Posts 6513
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 5:51 AM

Brother Mark:
Ray, Since you haven't acknowledged the suggestions for simulcasting the proposed events over the internet, I'm wondering if you would mind commenting on whether that venue is or isn't under consideration.

I am also wondering about sending speakers to areas outside of North America.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3403
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 12:17 PM

If you want to sell Verbum, contact a Catholic diocesan bishop or two. Diocesan curiae often have departments that might be interested in supporting/arranging/publicizing this sort of thing. You carry works from Libreria Editrice Vaticana and (seem to) have a strong relationship with Ignatius Press - which has important relationships with bishops - so you have 'street cred' and contacts. Just don't forget Canada, s'il vous plait. It even has a Bible scholar Cardinal...

Posts 498
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 1:45 PM

Ray, 

You may want to get in touch with the Lanier Theological Library here in Houston. Not only is it a vast theological library open to the public for free, but they regularly host free-to-attend lectures by interesting and prominent Biblical scholars. N.T. Wright is due to lecture there in March, for example. Previous speakers from the past year include Alistair McGrath, Richard Bauckham, D.A. Carson, Justice Antonin Scalia, and Paige Patterson. 

The owner of the library, Mark Lanier, also teaches a packed Sunday school class at his church, where he frequently brings in the speakers who come to speak at the library too, so if you form a relationship with him, you'd have a great "in" to a large church with a congregation that loves to study scripture.

Here is the website: http://www.laniertheologicallibrary.org

The Stone Chapel a few yards away is really nice to visit too, if anyone happens to go there: http://www.laniertheologicallibrary.org/the-chapel/.

I once tried to see if they were interested in installing Logos on their library computers, but unfortunately when I contacted Logos I found out ya'll don't do libraries. Might be something to look into though, if ya'll can, as this library truly loves access to as many books as possible for their researchers.

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 9:53 AM

Lynden Williams:
I am also wondering about sending speakers to areas outside of North America.

Absolutely we'd be open to it. Martin and I connected about this briefly last week. We've put out a couple feelers to SDA speakers, and we'll be in touch soon by email.

RD3

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 9:55 AM

Brother Mark:
Ray, Since you haven't acknowledged the suggestions for simulcasting the proposed events over the internet, I'm wondering if you would mind commenting on whether that venue is or isn't under consideration.

Not at all. We would certainly consider it. But even a simulcast requires a host site. When we get an event booked that would appeal broadly, we'll explore this possibility.

RD3

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2014 10:19 AM

Greg Masone:
You may want to get in touch with the Lanier Theological Library here in Houston.

Thank you for a great tip!

RD3

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS