Logos History...DTS

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 224
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 26 2009 3:27 PM

Sometime between 1988-90, when I attended Dallas Theological Seminary, I worked on proofing BDAG (actually I believe it was an earlier edition of the current BDAG) for a program called Logos.  They had scanned in the pages of BDAG, as well as other books, into a computer and I, along with other students, were hired to check letter by letter the accuracy of the scan.  I remember hearing about the vision the creators had regarding the software and was very impressed.  I'm curious if anyone can confirm whether the program I worked on years ago is the same Logos we know today?

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 4:52 PM
Back in those days, it may have been for CD Word which is the library that Logos bought as the core of their program. Logos 1.6 to Logos 2.0 to Libronix 3.0 to Logos 4. Same company through the years.
Posts 224
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 5:19 PM

I believe you are right!  Years do effect the memory. Big Smile

I wonder if there is anyone else out there who did work on the original CDWord?

Posts 397
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 11:33 AM

I didn't work on it, but I have been a user since the CDWord days. Was and still is, the best Bible software available.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 11:52 AM

Bit of trivia:

Logos was the name of the Bible search program Craig Rairdin designed, and sold from his basement. The name was later changed to QuickVerse, because Bob Parsons didn't think the name was "very good", when Craig went to work for him.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2829
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 7:54 AM

CDWORD was the reason I first bought a computer.  I never thought I needed one until I saw the potential for Bible study.

I bought the old CDWORD from Dallas Theological.  I think I paid $400.  It was the first program to really work with Greek and provide a real library of resources.  For its time, CDWORD was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Logos bought the rights to the program - or maybe the rights to the books.  When Logos came out, CDWORD customers got a discount to upgrade.  I remember how much of amazing imporvement Logos was.

Gee that has been a long time ago.  Could have never imagined what a great tool Logos would become.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS