Visual Filter + Highlighting not mixing well

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 143
Brian Maag | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 25 2014 5:48 AM

Background - I do a lot with visual filters that take the highlighted text and reduce it down to 20%. I do this by creating my own highlighting style (or palette, not sure which term is right) and then using a visual filter to call that particular style. Sometimes, for my purposes, I have to manually highlight the text (like the visual filter properly highlighted one word, and then I manually highlight the whole sentence). For example, I might want to block out the text "(Beasley-Murray 1999: 88; cf. Horsley 1984)." The VF might catch "Murray", but then I go in and highlight the whole thing.

PROBLEM - If the VF has properly highlighted "Murray" and reduced its size, when I highlight the whole thing, "Murray" goes back to being 100%. The rest of the text is properly reduced.

SUMMATION - When the VF and manual highlight both try to reduce the size of the text, they seem to cancel each other out. The rest of the style stays in tact (font color, labeling), but the size parameter gets messed up.

Posts 24921
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 12:26 PM

I constructed a "Reduced Text" VF (20%) and could reproduce text going back to 100% when I re-highlighted with the same style. But the style behaved as expected if the VF reduced text to 80%. There is a bug, but why reduce text to such a small size?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 143
Brian Maag | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 2:55 PM

Hey Dave,

I designed this style particularly for things like parenthetical citations, which get distracting for me after a while. My goal is to get the highlighted text to be as out-of-the-way as possible, hence the 20% size. I also use this to "minimize" Greek/Hebrew terms when I'm not studying the language (I can turn off the highlighting style when I need to see them) or to "translate" archaic words (minimizing the original and "labeling" it with a more current word). Makes reading something like Pilgrim's Progress a lot less frustrating. :)

Thanks for looking into this!

Brian

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS