Greek Rhetoric

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 25 2014 7:24 AM

I'm interested in studying the classic works in Greek Rhetoric. Does anyone have suggestions? I looked at the Noet bundles, but they seem to have a lot of works I would never use. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 7:34 AM

Anyone have comments on this? https://www.logos.com/product/3184/sacred-rhetoric 

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 9:21 AM

Kevin Maples:

Anyone have comments on this? https://www.logos.com/product/3184/sacred-rhetoric 

I have read Dabney's Sacred Rhetoric. It is really a book on homiletics, although in the preface Dabney says he has "found exceedingly instructive" Aristotle's Rhetoric, Cicero's De Oratore, Horace's Epistle to the Pisos (The Art of Poetry), and Quintilian's De Institutione Oratoria, and says he has studied Plato's Gorgias. All of the Greek and Latin works referred to by Dabney are available in the free Perseus classics collection, some in English translation. Perseus also has Ars Rhetorica by Aelius Aristides in Greek, as well as Vitae Decem Oratorum (English) by Plutarch. And it has: Jebb, R. C. (1876), The Attic Orators from Antiphon to Isaeos, Jebb, R. C. (1888), Selections from the Attic Orators (English) and Dobson, J. F. (1919),The Greek Orators.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 9:52 AM

Kevin Maples:

Kevin,

I have used with great profit Porter's Handbook on Rhetoric. It is a useful tool in helping to understand the different aspects of rhetoric and how they apply to the literature of the NT. It is well worth the cost.

Cliff

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 10:23 AM

Timothy Brown:
All of the Greek and Latin works referred to by Dabney are available in the free Perseus classics collection
That is a tremendous help. The Perseus is so large sometimes it is difficult to know what you have. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 25 2014 10:25 AM

Clifford B. Kvidahl:

Kevin,

I have used with great profit Porter's Handbook on Rhetoric. It is a useful tool in helping to understand the different aspects of rhetoric and how they apply to the literature of the NT. It is well worth the cost.

Cliff

Welcome to the forums Cliff. I appreciate the recommendation. It is definitely going on the "to read" list. Thanks. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS