Jehovah's Witnesses Works

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 1:54 PM

Just one comment--I very much doubt printing old Watchtowers and/or the works of Russell would be very welcome to the Watchtower Society; on the contrary, they would probably rather such works disappear without trace, as it makes their claim to be a mouthpiece of God a sham (e.g. 'millions now living--in the '20s!--will never die' etc'). 

Just market it right--'the material the average JW knows nothing about!' or similar. Make sure it's advertised as an apologetic resource. And then let Logos users decide if they want it (I can't say I would be).  

Posts 10639
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 3:32 PM

Actually, an author in Logos' stable of tomes did an analysis of what happened when a religious leader/group made a bold prediction of the end of time (there have been many).

First, of course, they surprisingly all failed. Secondly, and even more surprisingly, it didn't impact each group.  Humans are quite adept at re-calculating.  

Many aren't familiar with some well regarded church fathers' failed calculations that accompanied their assurances of being divinely inspired.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 5:14 PM

I don't really care one way or the other what Logos sells. However, do you intend to keep the cross in you logo? Is Logos a Christian organization?

Posts 28271
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 6:42 PM

Kent:
Is Logos a Christian organization?

No only individuals may become Christian. Logos is an American company specializing in Bible-study software. However, Logos is a company that employees many Christians who try to exhibit Christian values in their business dealings.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9158
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 6:58 PM

MJ. Smith:
No only individuals may become Christian.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6513
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 7:16 PM

Furthermore, just about every Christian denomination has been criticized on these forums as not being Christian.

The Ceo of Logos says that every book they have published some has a problem with it.

Let Logos do what it does best,  (publish digital resources) and let the user choose what they will purchase/read. If you are not sure about what to read, then seek assistance, if not do not buy.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 7:40 PM

MJ. Smith:
No only individuals may become Christian
While I totally agree with you, in the United States we do have a case in front of our supreme court to see business can have "a faith" and thus have the protection under our 1st amendment. 

Posts 4843
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 8:06 PM

MJ. Smith:

Kent:
Is Logos a Christian organization?

No only individuals may become Christian. Logos is an American company specializing in Bible-study software. However, Logos is a company that employees many Christians who try to exhibit Christian values in their business dealings.

In all these tiffs about who does and doesn't qualify as Christian according to the Bible, wouldn't it be a kicker if "Biblical" and "Christian" turned out to be non-equivalent terms?

Posts 4843
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2014 8:34 PM

Lynden Williams:

Furthermore, just about every Christian denomination has been criticized on these forums as not being Christian.

The Ceo of Logos says that every book they have published some has a problem with it.

My friend was watching the Nye-Ham debate this morning, and after I listened to a few minutes of it, I said, "The problem that most people have who watch this thing is that they are trying to decide which of these guys is right...when the correct answer is 'neither'." The strong delusion has a very extensive reach--except for the Bibles (which have a bit of mud on them), precious little in the Logos stable isn't stricken with the malady of deception. I've mentioned that I disagree with pretty much every single one of the non-Bible resources in my library. Funny how everyone who uses Logos believes the Bible...except for Rev. 12:9. That verse is only partially true...of course.

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 7:57 PM

I've returned to or reread this String's title so many times....each time I do a double take.

In my opinion a more fitting title would have been:

JEHOVAH WITNESS BOOK TITLES

Posts 28271
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 8:03 PM

JoshInRI:
<deleted>

Jehovah Witness's who own Logos should be free to follow the forums without being insulted.

Thank you Josh for editing your post.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 8:09 PM

MJ. Smith:
Jehovah Witness's who own Logos should be free to follow the forums without being insulted.
Yes

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 8:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

JoshInRI:
Though I suppose the Jehovah Witness Titles could go under Religious Fiction (or Fantasy) and be sold on Vyrso easily enough, right?  They could right next to The Shack and other fantasy fiction books.

I agree.  I don't completely agree with Catholics or Baptists or Presbyterians or even other Episcopalians.  This is no reason to be insulting.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2701
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2014 11:10 PM

Whilst I can see this being useful to a point, when it come to discussion at the door, often when you raise points on the door from old literature they say "that used to be the position", but we now interpret it differently, we now say ..."

Anything current and worth having  I suspect you will  have difficulty obtaining consent to use.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2014 4:08 PM

George Somsel:

MJ. Smith:

JoshInRI:
<deleted by user>

I agree.  I don't completely agree with Catholics or Baptists or Presbyterians or even other Episcopalians.  This is no reason to be insulting.

While I don't agree with posting such sentiments on the board, there are a few (nameless) primary source religious books I've put in "fiction" section of my own library that some might be offended by. Obviously not the bible... But other religions analogs to the Bible sometimes end up there.

MJ Do any Jehovahs witnesses use Logos that you are aware of?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 28271
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2014 4:57 PM

abondservant:
MJ Do any Jehovahs witnesses use Logos that you are aware of?

No, they do have their own app. However, there are at least 2 belonging to other groups associated with Russell.

Posts 1
Sacha | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2019 12:45 PM

I know this is an old thread, but if you are still looking into getting JW books

I would like to see:

Insight on the Scriptures (this one especially)

New World Translation - (1984) with footnotes

New World Translation (2013 revision) with footnotes

Posts 102
Thomas Pape | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2019 1:53 AM

I can only offer you German PB. I just started with the Bibles.

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS